Off Topic, the Worst GM in the League

This is completely of topic, but with so much in the news, I've got vent. It seems Raptors GM Rob Babcock can't go a week without getting ripped in one paper or another, but Isiah thomas is in the papers EVERY DAY and not once has he been ripped for his terrible decisions or arrogant, abbrasive behavior. I know Rob Babcock has made some sketchy decisions but, to me, its too early yet to mark him down as the worst GM (I'll give him another year). And for the record I don't hold him responsible for the infamously one-sided Vince Carter trade, there was nothing he could do in that situation. Carter's value was at rock-bottom and he was playing like a bum in toronto, probably on purpose. I just can't believe that Thomas's front office inferiority has gone relatively uncriticized. Does anyone know what the hell this guy is doing? Does he even know? This guy has got to be as bad as Scott Layden, if not worse. The difference here between Thomas and Babcock is that Babcock has a game plan. He wants players that will work hard every night, play defense, and who are willing to play in Toronto. Thomas is a different story. he just seems to make move after terrible move with no rhyme or reason, or plan in mind. Over the past two seasons he has made phoenix better not once, but twice, and he managed to help rid the Spurs of Malik Rose's punkass contract and at the same time give them a more than servicable backup center, while making his team that much smaller. THEN, I hear this genius goes out after the draft and says he would have taken Channing Frye over Bogut or Williams if he had the number 1. Obviously he doesn't mean this, but who says that? Its up in the air really between these two, but to me, thomas's whole way of doing things and his overall mouthiness is the tie breaker.

Isiah Thomas the worst? Bill Simmons might agree with you (following exerpt is from http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/050701)

...partly because anything's possible with Isiah as the GM.
Hey, that reminds me – do you think Phoenix's brain trust was sitting around when the following exchange happened: GM Bryan Colangelo: "God, Q sucked in that Spurs series, we gotta get rid of him."

Coach Mike D'Antoni: "Come on, nobody wants a guy with a bad back who chokes in big spots?"

Colangelo: "Just for the hell of it, should I call Isiah and see if we get Kurt Thomas for Q and a No. 1?"

(Colangelo and D'Antoni laugh hysterically for five seconds. Then they stop laughing.)

Colangelo (grabbing phone): "You call his office, I'll call his cell!"

Y

Yo33Fan

Are all of you guys crazy?? How about the worst being up here in Seattle??

Rick Sund is an idiot! Anyone who goes after Jerome James(kings fans should back me on this), trades for Kenny Anderson and lets go of Gary Payton AND Desmond Mason for Ray Allen is so dumb! Don't even make me go into the drafting the past years. Luke Ridnour & Nick Collison are the only things he has going for this team!

has to be babcock. vince carter for aaron williams, eric williams, zo and a bunch of average draft picks....ur kidding right? rafael araujo over iguodala and al jefferson? i could rip apart the charlie V pick at 7 too but im willing to give him time to fulfil his potential - just don't understand how you can pass over danny granger or gerald green which is exactly what they needed.

honourable mentions: rick pitino, chris wallace and isiah

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
If Isiah is serious about persuing James I wonder if that means that, like a lot of analysts, he feels that Channing Frye is best suited for the 4.

The thing that COULD make Thomas a better GM than Babcock is that he has some very tradeable pieces to move around. Marbury still has good value and the ending contracts of Hardaway and/or Tim Thomas could bring back some talent, since the Knicks seem to have an insatiable appetite for taking back other teams' bad contracts.

On the other hand, the Raptors only have a disgruntled PG with a bad contract in Alston. Unless they are willing to deal Bosh or their two rookies.

PixelPusher said:
Isiah Thomas the worst? Bill Simmons might agree with you (following exerpt is from http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/050701)

...partly because anything's possible with Isiah as the GM. Hey, that reminds me – do you think Phoenix's brain trust was sitting around when the following exchange happened: GM Bryan Colangelo: "God, Q sucked in that Spurs series, we gotta get rid of him."

Coach Mike D'Antoni: "Come on, nobody wants a guy with a bad back who chokes in big spots?"

Colangelo: "Just for the hell of it, should I call Isiah and see if we get Kurt Thomas for Q and a No. 1?"

(Colangelo and D'Antoni laugh hysterically for five seconds. Then they stop laughing.)

Colangelo (grabbing phone): "You call his office, I'll call his cell!"
Actually, I think that was a great deal for New York.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
As much as I love to bag on Capt. Mitch, it does seem than much of the Laker moves are dictated by Dr. Buss... hard to be a great GM when the owner tells you to trade Shaq and Keep Kobe then find 10 guys that want to play with him.