No Sunday rest for these Kings

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/12199828p-13063999c.html

No Sunday rest for these Kings

They win without two stars

By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PST Monday, January 31, 2005

Mike Bibby runs into Minnesota Timberwolves guard Troy Hudson during the second quarter in Minneapolis Sunday. Bibby was called for an offensive foul.

MINNEAPOLIS - Before Sunday, only once in 502 games - Christmas 2003, to be exact - had the Kings lined up with Peja Stojakovic and Chris Webber both unavailable.

So it made sense the Minnesota Timberwolves, who had defeated the Kings in a seven-game Western Conference semifinal series last season and won five straight regular-season contests over them spanning two seasons, might be stricken with overconfidence.

But the Kings, who used only their starters during the second half, shook off the absence of Webber (swollen left knee) and Stojakovic (back spasms) with a tight and aggressive defense, solid rebounding, pinpoint ballhandling and a three-pronged offensive attack to surprise the T-wolves 94-84 at Target Center.

Center Brad Miller continued his fine play with game highs of 27 points and 15 rebounds to lead the Kings, while guards Cuttino Mobley and Mike Bibby added 23 and 21 points, respectively.

"It's not an understatement to say that was a heck of a win," said Kings coach Rick Adelman, who used all 10 of his available players during the first half. "We just kept talking about how we had to compete, and we had a lot of guys play well."

Darius Songaila stepped in for Webber at power forward and consistently made 16-to 18-foot jumpers, mostly off opportunities created by pick-and-roll or pick-and-pop plays by Bibby. Songaila sent groans through the crowd every time he made a per-imeter shot en route to 12 points. The steady second-year pro also had six rebounds.

Matt Barnes started his third consecutive game in place of Stojakovic, tied career highs in minutes (39) and rebounds (10) and did a solid job defensively.

Mobley and Bibby started slowly at the offensive end. Mobley had an upset stomach that prompted Adelman to remove him in the first quarter so he could see a doctor. However, Mobley said he never thought about sitting down and scored 15 of his points in the second half.

"They wanted me to just chill out," Mobley said. "But this was no time to chill out. We had too many dudes out already. If you ain't hurt, ain't no reason to chill. Better to play sick than not play it at all."

Bibby missed all eight of his attempts in the first half, when he scored only two points.

Moreover, he picked up a technical foul from official Bill Kennedy while the teams were leaving the floor at the half. Bibby took the floor to start the third quarter proclaiming his drought wouldn't last long after listening to a heckler behind the Kings' bench.

Bibby scored 19 points during the second half, prompting Barnes to return to the press table following a timeout and tell the heckler, "You got him started, you got him started," while slamming his hand down on the cushion atop the table.

"I wasn't going to take those five guys out in the second half," Adelman said. "I played everybody in the first half, but once we got into it, I felt those guys were our best chance, and I didn't want to give (the T-wolves) a chance to have a six-or eight-point spurt and then try to bring guys back.

"I thought we could finish the game with the people we had, and if I needed to take timeouts, then I would. Some of those guys coming off the bench hadn't even practiced, so we were better off having the five guys, four and Cuttino, who have been around."

The T-wolves, led by Kevin Garnett's 21 points, 13 rebounds and seven assists, had won five straight games but were dominated in the third quarter.

That the Kings were within seven points to start the third was enough for Adelman. The Kings, who had season lows of nine made free throws and 50 percent shooting from the line, missed 6 of 10 during the first quarter. That's also when Mobley and Bibby were a combined 1 of 10 from the field.

"I thought we were fine," said Adelman, whose team was tied 20-20 entering the second quarter. "But it looked like if they had gotten the first spurt of the second half, we might have been done. But we got the first spurt."

The Kings outscored the T-wolves 31-17 in the third to take control, prompting boos from the crowd.

Here's how life on the Kings is after winning two of three games on this road trip: Michael Bradley was talking about how poorly he played during his six minutes, when he missed both of his shot attempts (one was blocked) and committed a foul. Said an overhearing Mobley: "Shoot, he's talking about (himself). Mike was 0 for 8, and I was 0 for 100. You can't just dwell on that. You're going to get out of it."

----------------------------------------------
haha! maybe that's why he did the crab dance.. mike just loves to shut hecklers up.. i say if he has a bad game, put a heckler behind the kings bench ;)

Last edited:
ah yes...it is always nice to see the crab dance...gotta love it...

ive actually noticed in the past that Mike does well win he is getting heckled...it happens more commonly in LA...you can always see him knock down a shot and then turn and stare down someone at center court and say something to someone sitting courtside

Be like Mike

LMM said:
"They wanted me to just chill out," Mobley said. "But this was no time to chill out. We had too many dudes out already. If you ain't hurt, ain't no reason to chill. Better to play sick than not play it at all."
Like the guy's attitude. :) "No need to chill."

LMM said:
Here's how life on the Kings is after winning two of three games on this road trip: Michael Bradley was talking about how poorly he played during his six minutes, when he missed both of his shot attempts (one was blocked) and committed a foul. Said an overhearing Mobley: "Shoot, he's talking about (himself). Mike was 0 for 8, and I was 0 for 100. You can't just dwell on that. You're going to get out of it."
Cat was 0 for 100?? Haha!! :D

LMM said:
Bibby took the floor to start the third quarter proclaiming his drought wouldn't last long after listening to a heckler behind the Kings' bench.

Bibby scored 19 points during the second half, prompting Barnes to return to the press table following a timeout and tell the heckler, "You got him started, you got him started," while slamming his hand down on the cushion atop the table.
I think Marty McNeal was at the game since he follows every Kings game. Glad to see him add this info.

"I wasn't going to take those five guys out in the second half," Adelman said. "I played everybody in the first half, but once we got into it, I felt those guys were our best chance, and I didn't want to give (the T-wolves) a chance to have a six-or eight-point spurt and then try to bring guys back.

"I thought we could finish the game with the people we had, and if I needed to take timeouts, then I would. Some of those guys coming off the bench hadn't even practiced, so we were better off having the five guys, four and Cuttino, who have been around."
That is why we won this game...

SacKings384 said:
Hmmm... So in reality even though some bench players had to start this game, Adelman still didn't change his attitude about rotations at all. He still went with his most experienced guys, even more so than usual(no second half subs). How Ironic.

LMM said:
What does it mean? Cuttino is not a guy anymore?

meaning the four guys who have been around longer than Cat

at least i think thats what it means...i did get a little caught up on that part too

I love the picture of Bibby that goes along with the article...

to quote one of the best rappers of all time, Jay-Z

Bibby was like "Excuse me Miss"

hahaha

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
SacKings384 said:
I'm in total and complete agreement. Adelman gave the bench some minutes in the first half, and then went with the starters in the second because they were getting the job done.

His comment about not wanting to give the TWolves anything to be hopeful about, including not giving them the opportunity to score against the bench while the starters took a breather was right on as far as I'm concerned. The starting five on the court got into a great rhythm and kept the Wolves at bay.

Kudos to Adelman AGAIN for doing the right thing to get a win with 40% of our starters in the locker room.

LMM said:
Bibby took the floor to start the third quarter proclaiming his drought wouldn't last long after listening to a heckler behind the Kings' bench.

Sometimes I wish Mike wouldn't listen to what everyone says to him in the crowd. Other times it's like well......he is human and you can't let someone repeatedly heckle you without saying something. Mind games.

Is it me or Minnesota and LA are two places where Mike is constantly be heckled? I seem to recall the same thing last year as well.

Anyhoo I'm glad Mike came through in the end but damn it I missed the dance.

^oh Elise you should come around more often...i love having you around and it seems like you are never here

I don't however think its just you about Mike getting heckled the most in Minny and in LA...i said earlier in the thread that i often see it alot when ever he rolls through LA

sorry you missed the dance...but don't worry there will be plenty of other times...especially come playoff time

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Mike is one of those players who actually likes the heckling. It energizes him and can actually motivate him to do better, as was shown in Minnesota. He thrives on putting hecklers in their place. And he does by setting them back in their seats, with precision shooting, great ball handling, etc.

Gotta love it!

:D

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
iheartBrad said:
thats why i said

Be like Mike
You said, "Be like Mike." And my first thought was, "Well, duh. Of course he's going to be like Mike. He IS Mike."

Does that make me homer beyond belief? I didn't think of Jordan. I thought of Bibby. To me, HE'S the Mike!!!

:D

yeah...haha...that is pretty bad...Micheal Jordan will always be THE BEST Mike...but Mike Bibby is in second place...i can't imagine hearing "BE LIKE MIKE" and not thinking of Michael Jordan first

VF YOU ARE a homer beyond belief...but thats NOT a bad thing

iheartBrad said:
^oh Elise you should come around more often...i love having you around and it seems like you are never here

I don't however think its just you about Mike getting heckled the most in Minny and in LA...i said earlier in the thread that i often see it alot when ever he rolls through LA

sorry you missed the dance...but don't worry there will be plenty of other times...especially come playoff time
I'm around.....getting me to actually post something is entirely different though ;) . For you though, I'll try to post more.

I can understand LA.........but Minnesota? There's nothing that I can recall that gives a purpose as to why.

About the dance......I remember seeing the block on Wally but completely missed it. I'll still take his block over Lebron as solace(because I got it on tape)

I also couldn't understand the pre-game piece on Mike(which was fine until Mike started talking....of course no one can truly match Mike's voice so they used an interpreter who has a lower pitch which completely drown out whatever Mike said)

I'm not surprise Twolves fans heckled Mike. I mean, they booed their own team!!
They probably even heckled their own players. :D When Michael Olowokandi wasn't playing well..the boos were so loud!

Twix said:
I'm not surprise Twolves fans heckled Mike. I mean, they booed their own team!!
They probably even heckled their own players. :D When Michael Olowokandi wasn't playing well..the boos were so loud!
Then again......Olowokandi should have never picked #1 in the '98 draft either, he's a bust perpetuated by a few moments of mediocre play.

VF21 said:
You said, "Be like Mike." And my first thought was, "Well, duh. Of course he's going to be like Mike. He IS Mike."

Does that make me homer beyond belief? I didn't think of Jordan. I thought of Bibby. To me, HE'S the Mike!!!
That's funny.

I, of course, think of Mike Nesmith. But, that's just because I have a thing for wool hats.