NFL thread for 2017-2018

The problem with your comparison of Romo to Favre, Elway and Manning is that......All 3 ended up winning the big game before hangin' 'em up for good. Tony did not.
The problem with Romo wasn't just that he had poor showings in big games. It was also the timing in those games that he made the poor plays.

You can have 2 QBs throw for over 300 yds with 3 TDs and 2 ITs and consider one to have played well and the other to have choked. If the ITs come early there is still time to make up for it (and depending on where they took place they may only cause you a possession). However, it they come late in the game they can seal your fate. Romo was notorious for turning the ball over in the 4th quarter and in a way that often led to the other team scoring.

The problem with Romo wasn't just that he had poor showings in big games. It was also the timing in those games that he made the poor plays.

You can have 2 QBs throw for over 300 yds with 3 TDs and 2 ITs and consider one to have played well and the other to have choked. If the ITs come early there is still time to make up for it (and depending on where they took place they may only cause you a possession). However, it they come late in the game they can seal your fate. Romo was notorious for turning the ball over in the 4th quarter and in a way that often led to the other team scoring.
You nailed it with those 3 statements (the ones in bold). And they only further support my claim that Romo was a great regular season quarterback. He was able to get the Cowboys to the point where they played in the "big games". His issue(s) showed up once he got to those games. I am not trying to argue with anyone that I think Tony Romo was a terrible quarterback. Let me lay that argument to rest right here, right now, and for good. Tony Romo was a damn good quarterback. For about the first 14-16 weeks of the regular season. Once week 17 arrived, along with the postseason week(s) that followed, it was almost as if he was allergic to big games. He proved to me time and time and time and time and time again that he was more than eligible to lead the Cowboys during the regular season. And he, rightfully, deserved to be the starting quarterback during that time as a result. However, he did NOTHING for me once the playoffs arrived. NOTHING. And that is why I was never a big fan. Not because of his regular season performance. But because he seemed to always have the tendency to not show up to work when it counted the most. When the Cowboys' season was on the line.

The problem with your comparison of Romo to Favre, Elway and Manning is that......All 3 ended up winning the big game before hangin' 'em up for good. Tony did not.
I'm not suggesting he's on their level. At least Elway or Manning. I do think Favre may be the most overrated QB in history though, but was given the benefit of the doubt because of a relatively early win.

I'm not suggesting he's on their level. At least Elway or Manning. I do think Favre may be the most overrated QB in history though, but was given the benefit of the doubt because of a relatively early win.
I always thought Favre was overrated. He was just as likely to lead his team to defeat as he was to victory. He never stopped trying to thread the needle, and when it worked it was something to watch.

I always thought Favre was overrated. He was just as likely to lead his team to defeat as he was to victory. He never stopped trying to thread the needle, and when it worked it was something to watch.
TBH I always hated him after he played the Pats and Broncos in back to back superbowls and all the Favre and the Packers are the greatest thing ever talk started in 98 (LOL but we were still at the beginning of the 24/7 news/hot take era). Folks that have been around forever know Broncos were my childhood team because of Elway and Pats became my team when I lived in Boston forever ago, and up until Tebow and Manning I tried to root for both.

But he really started to wear on me after the constant will-he-or-won't he saga.

If Brady doesn't retire a Pat I will be devastated. Which I imagine will happen but it cost us Jimmy G. Congats 9ers fans if I hadn't told you that already.

Romo was notorious for turning the ball over in the 4th quarter and in a way that often led to the other team scoring.
Uhh... Romo was one of the best players in the league at 4th quarter comebacks. Sure his game might have been more volatile than some (like Rodgers who has almost very few good 4th quarter comebacks) but Romo was actually more clutch than most in those situations.

Uhh... Romo was one of the best players in the league at 4th quarter comebacks. Sure his game might have been more volatile than some (like Rodgers who has almost very few good 4th quarter comebacks) but Romo was actually more clutch than most in those situations.
Romo had a lot of 4th quarter comebacks during the regular season. However, in big games (late season, playoffs) he played poorly more often than not.

Problem is that you're picking and choosing and moving goalposts. You just complained about his fourth quarter play, but when I mention he was great at fourth quarter comebacks you switch back to playoff/late season performance. Earlier, eMBarkat10n said, "It was what he did (or didn't do, for that matter) after week 17 concluded that made me not like him at all." Then when challenged, it changed from "after week 17" to include "important" regular season games, too.

All I know is that it's easy to buy into the narrative that Romo couldn't get it done when it mattered, when in reality, his play was very good overall even in those situations. If you actually have a well-defined idea of what makes a good quarterback in your head, and can express it, then try applying that same definition to other quarterbacks that you are a fan of. Chances are Romo will look better than you think and some other quarterbacks you like won't measure up themselves. It turns out that playoff football is harder because it's against other top teams, but you forget the poor play of people you like because their team won, or because they had a few good games first before their bad games and avoided the narrative.

Problem is that you're picking and choosing and moving goalposts. You just complained about his fourth quarter play, but when I mention he was great at fourth quarter comebacks you switch back to playoff/late season performance. Earlier, eMBarkat10n said, "It was what he did (or didn't do, for that matter) after week 17 concluded that made me not like him at all." Then when challenged, it changed from "after week 17" to include "important" regular season games, too.

All I know is that it's easy to buy into the narrative that Romo couldn't get it done when it mattered, when in reality, his play was very good overall even in those situations. If you actually have a well-defined idea of what makes a good quarterback in your head, and can express it, then try applying that same definition to other quarterbacks that you are a fan of. Chances are Romo will look better than you think and some other quarterbacks you like won't measure up themselves. It turns out that playoff football is harder because it's against other top teams, but you forget the poor play of people you like because their team won, or because they had a few good games first before their bad games and avoided the narrative.
OK, OK, OK....you caught me there. I did only say playoff games. My mistake. I should have included week 17 games in my original argument. Regardless of that, though, my point still remains valid. When it counts, Romo choked more than not. Week 17, and beyond. I am still standing by my original claim.

I stated from the beginning that I was referring to big games (meaning end of season and playoffs). You brought up his play in the 4th quarters and I restated that I was talking about big games and playoffs. You are the one who tried to change the parameters of what the conversation was about all along - that Romo was a really good regular season QB who generally choked when it really mattered.

Yes, it is super difficult to ever root AGAINST Tom Brady in the postseason, especially when a Super Bowl appearance is on the line. With that being said, Vikings Vs Jags: Make It Happen.

Yes, it is super difficult to ever root AGAINST Tom Brady in the postseason, especially when a Super Bowl appearance is on the line. With that being said, Vikings Vs Jags: Make It Happen.
Nah, give me Brady. That being said, I could see Jacksonville pulling off the upset. I know they just gave up 42 to Pittsburgh, but that defense could give the Patriots problems and if Fournette can eat up clock and yards, it could happen.