Next head coach candidates

I didn't say he was a loser, I said he's proved nothing so far in his career. He could end up being great with the kings, or horrible. But for a guy who is supposed to take a young and inexperienced team to the next level, as Vlade has said, he's got no proven ability to do so.
Would you say Joerger didn’t prove anything during his time?

Just checking since Walton took over a team that had 17 wins and in 2 season improved to 35 mins last year and 37 wins this year amidst all of the Magic/LeBron chaos. So if we give Joerger credit for improving by 15+ wins, we need to be consistent and give Walton credit as well

Just checking since Walton took over a team that had 17 wins and in 2 season improved to 35 mins last year and 37 wins this year amidst all of the Magic/LeBron chaos. So if we give Joerger credit for improving by 15+ wins, we need to be consistent and give Walton credit as well
And we didn’t have half the injuries they did

We have very strong assistants who have done a great job with our young guys.

I hope they are retained and for Walton and Monty this point is of vital importance

I’m still of the opinion that Joerger is greatly underrated by some people on here. What did him in was quarreling with Brandon Williams. Vlade just doesn’t tolerate that stuff. The Kings are going to be hard pressed to get as good a coach as
Joerger right now. Vlade has to nail this.
This pretty much sums it up!

This is all true but none of the candidates really have.

This isn't about Dave, but he did coach a playoff team and had two of his three years in Memphis with 50+ wins and helped maximize Conley. So to that point, we are trying to get the kings to that point where Memphis was when he coached, and Luke has only gone as far with the Lakers as Dave has with the Kings. Additionally, Fox, Buddy, and others have developed under him. Even Bagley has made cleat improvement during the year. So again, I don't get the "next level" argument in favor of Luke, or other candidates regardless of Dave. The only thing I can think of by that logic is addition by subtraction due to conflicts with key players.

Last edited:
This isn't about Dave, but he did coach a playoff team and had two of his three years in Memphis with 50+ wins and helped maximize Conley. So to that point, we are trying to get the kings to that point where Memphis was when he coached, and Luke has only gone as far with the Lakers as Dave has with the Kings. Additionally, Fox, Buddy, and others have developed under him. Even Bagley has made cleat improvement during the year. So again, I don't get the "next level" argument in favor of Luke, or other candidates regardless of Dave. The only thing I can think of by that logic is addition by subtraction due to conflicts with key players.
Agree, the next level rationale doesn't hold water since none of the coaches available (at least those being talked about) have taken a team in the nba as far as Joerger.

Can one of these coaches take the Kings to the next level? My magic 8 ball says "reply hazy. Ask again later"

There are some old horse expressions that come to mind at a time like this looking for a new coach. "One of you has to know what you are doing." We have a young team, and need a coach with experience, not "giving someone a shot." "Green on green equals black and blue." Experience counts. The KIngs should not be in a hurry to hire a new coach.

Agree, the next level rationale doesn't hold water since none of the coaches available (at least those being talked about) have taken a team in the nba as far as Joerger.

Can one of these coaches take the Kings to the next level? My magic 8 ball says "reply hazy. Ask again later"
With Joerger context matters. He had an already built situation in Memphis and didn't really alter much of what Hollins was doing. He still did quite well but it's still the truth. I always go back to it but it's exactly like Westphal with the Suns. Now, how would grade those coaches outside of that one team? Joerger didn't have a totally useless bunch with Cuz and Gay although obviously things like injuries did hurt. You have to take the whole picture into account. The coach that takes a team with true talent to the next level, considering what the next level is for a non-playoff team, is simply the one that plays to the strengths of the players. Facts are facts and a coach is the smaller percentage of what takes a team to any level. If the coach were the end all be all Karl would have turned the Kings around. Phil the Knicks. And so on and so on. However a coach can royally screw the pooch by not playing to those strengths and we all got a prime lesson in the year previous to this one. You know, the 30th in pace version?