Net ratings on big pairs.

It is interesting about which combination of bigs play well together. Here are the combinations, their minutes and net rating

WCS/Giles. 81.5. +11.0
Koufus/Bagley. 107.7. +6.3
WCS/Beli. 823. +5.9
Beli/Bagley. 100. +2.5
WCS/Bagley. 230. -3.1
KK/Giles. 15. -13.7
Giles/Bagley. 169. -15.1

Given this you can see how Giles and Bagley together was not something we wanted to do early. But it does beg the question why WCS/Bagley at the end of games.

It is interesting about which combination of bigs play well together. Here are the combinations, their minutes and net rating

WCS/Giles. 81.5. +11.0
WCS/Beli. 823. +5.9
Beli/Bagley. 100. +2.5
WCS/Bagley. 230. -3.1
KK/Giles. 15. -13.7
Giles/Bagley. 169. -15.1

Given this you can see how Giles and Bagley together was not something we wanted to do early. But it does beg the question why WCS/Bagley at the end of games.
I think it comes down to match ups. Despite all the controversy around WCS, he's still our best big man. So then you move to the 4 spot... who's best on both ends? Bjelica is a good floor stretcher, but he has defensive limitations. Giles has some lateral limitations against quicker 4s. So then we have Bagley... who's not a world beater, but he might be the best option.

I think the WCS/Giles sample size is too small though.

I think you need to take the numbers with Bagley and/or Giles with a grain of salt. These are two rookies that are presumably getting better with each minute on the court. Some of what you see in the numbers could certainly be "fit" together at the C/PF, but some is just inexperience from the beginning of the year (in particular Giles who I would imagine probably had horrendous on/off stats early in the season.)

Earlier in the year, like way earlier...maybe two months ago, I read that Bagley was rated one of the worst defending big men in the NBA. I'm not sure if that's still accurate or not.

I think you need to take the numbers with Bagley and/or Giles with a grain of salt. These are two rookies that are presumably getting better with each minute on the court. Some of what you see in the numbers could certainly be "fit" together at the C/PF, but some is just inexperience from the beginning of the year (in particular Giles who I would imagine probably had horrendous on/off stats early in the season.)
I agree but I didn’t want to be accused of hiding data so I put the minutes and the ratings. Anything less than 100 minutes is a big grain of salt and Giles in particular is way different than early in the year.

But Bagley and WCS tend to occupy the same space so it’s a legitimate question how strong of a pair they are.

WCS/Giles. 81.5. +11.0
WCS/Beli. 823. +5.9
Beli/Bagley. 100. +2.5
WCS/Bagley. 230. -3.1
KK/Giles. 15. -13.7
Giles/Bagley. 169. -15.1

Is the +\- for the whole team those two are playing with? If so that seems like a lot of variables ?

With all of the progress and development, I'm more interested in the trends in certain pairings vs. the aggregate numbers. I don't really have the time but I'd love to see the impact of Bagley/Giles together in January vs. October or November.

Bagley's defense is going to be fine. Someday it is going to be really good.
The ratings are already dated.
I agree that Bagley and Giles get better every week. Joerger deserves some credit for being able to handle Giles and his emotional nature.

If the Kings are still in the hunt, I'd love to see what these numbers post all star break look like at the end of the year. Should give us a better indication.

Earlier in the year, like way earlier...maybe two months ago, I read that Bagley was rated one of the worst defending big men in the NBA. I'm not sure if that's still accurate or not.
r

Holy heck, I could've told you that was going to be laughable from watching the Suns preseason game.....Bagley brims with energy. Several impatient folks here around the preseason were not giving him a fair shake I thought. I'll admit I was hoping for Doncic, and didn't like the pick initially, but I think Bagley is excellent for this team and if the Kings manage to resign Cauley-Stein reasonably....the outlook with the 3 of them (including Giles) is positive. Minus perhaps going after a small forward FA, the Kings are set with this team. All they need are more games and time together. Giles needs to take on a facilitator role at the high elbow, and they need to allow all 3 of the bigmen to take open elbow jumpers to instill confidence in high post. There was awhile with Stein where his shooting better and h e exhibited more confidence around the basket. Now that portion of his game is parched dry, and he's become much more limited in. the offense