NBA Playoffs, Round One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Kawhi eats Luka's lunch on one end, eats the shot clock and attracts so much Mavs attention that they forget about Morris in the corner on the other.

Absolutely dominant.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Rick Carlisle, sensing Mark Cuban's finger rapidly approaching the big red "Fire" button arguing with there's like his life depends on it.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
KP with some excellent fight for the ball on that 15 point play. I agree with JVG for once “Unintentional Flagrant Foul”

It was like that soft flagrant one the other day, have to be careful when the other guy is in the air.

I agree with every bit of this post with one rather glaring exception.

Jimmer’s problem wasn’t that he didn’t get enough shots. It’s that he wasn’t better than the guy picked last in the same draft as him.

Also instead of getting Kawhi, who was that mystical unicorn of being both the BPA and the NEED pick, Kings made a jersey-selling move taking the NBA’s Tim Tebow, and bringing back Salmons just to mess with our heads.
Maybe so, but polishing turds is this business to a degree. The difference between Jimmer being a complete mistake and maybe being able to flip him later for SOMETHING is one of those a little goes a long way types of things.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Luka had another ridiculous game so I get it but I feel like announcers failed to notice Kawhi being the best player on the floor by a large margin for the entire second half.

And that might have been the best thing that ever happened to the Mavs. They were reportedly on path to keep it all together after those first two wins thinking Hardaway Jr. was the key and everything was fine and dandy as they were on their march to a title some day. Wrong. The Kings might be able to capitalize this summer and get some value out of some of their pieces since it's clear that upper echelon is still the upper echelon and there ain't a whole lot of gimmes for the franchises still stuck in the middle of the pack.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
And that might have been the best thing that ever happened to the Mavs. They were reportedly on path to keep it all together after those first two wins thinking Hardaway Jr. was the key and everything was fine and dandy as they were on their march to a title some day. Wrong. The Kings might be able to capitalize this summer and get some value out of some of their pieces since it's clear that upper echelon is still the upper echelon and there ain't a whole lot of gimmes for the franchises still stuck in the middle of the pack.
As fate would have it, the Mavs really could have used Harrison Barnes in lieu of playing two 7'3"+ centers at once.

As fate would have it, the Mavs really could have used Harrison Barnes in lieu of playing two 7'3"+ centers at once.
Carlisle is a bonehead. He did the same things that cost him the games against Sac. He goes big against small and he loses. Shocker. I know he's gone for sure but yeah, they need to change the focus of their team to being smaller and right now they don't really have the personnel to pull it off.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Carlisle is a bonehead. He did the same things that cost him the games against Sac. He goes big against small and he loses. Shocker. I know he's gone for sure but yeah, they need to change the focus of their team to being smaller and right now they don't really have the personnel to pull it off.
Amongst the many issues with the Mavs roster, the fact that they can't trade a pick until 2025 looms large in their quest to find a second star/anyone who doesn't suck really to play next to Luka. They've got cap space for this offseason and this offseason only but unless they can somehow brainwash a team into giving them something useful for Porzingis, an idea that is increasingly unlikely with every second of NBA basketball he plays, it's hard to see them getting enough assets together to pull off a mega trade for a disgruntled star player.

As much as they're in win-now mode, they've kind of put themselves in a position where they might be better served trying to dump any "veteran assets" they do have and doing a "quick rebuild" to get a whole new set of guys next to Luka (okay, maybe Boban can stay).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.