NBA Playoffs, Round One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Luka had 42 points, which is super impressive and yet somehow disappointing considering he had 20 in the first quarter.

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Would you have the same POV if it was one of your WNBA stars saying the same? Would you essentially call them a liar too?
I would, and have, and I've been proven right. Tina Charles is a name that immediately springs to mind. So is Elena Delle Donne. Angel McCoughtry said she'd never leave Atlanta; she's in Vegas, now.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
So on one side we have the Portland fans who don't want to see their superstar chase a ring by joining a superteam AND the player himself who prefers to be seen as a guy who does not chase rings by joining a superteam so he chooses to not do that as the best course of action for him . On the other side we have fans of the said player who want to see him win the ring and think he can only do that by leaving Portland and joining forces with other stars.

So to answer your question from post 343 as to why the Portland fans supersede the other group of fans, its because what they want aligns with the course of action the player in question has chosen for themselves. As an advocate of players and players rights (as opposed to team/fan demands), you should understand that.
Fair enough.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
a couple of post 98 draftees that come to mind are CP3, Russ, Harden and in the coming years the list has a chance to continue to grow. the Celtics big three was a product of Ainge making things happen on his own without Pierce suggesting to him that he specifically wants Ray and KG. you will believe what you wish, I won't try to change your mind. Russ gave OKC his all and never requested a trade, OKC simply was ready to rebuild and they did him the service.
So, just so that we're clear, you don't actually have a problem with "superteams," as long as it's management who gets to get the credit for making them happen?

Strong personality is only a myth if you live in a bubble.
Sure, hoss, whatever you say. Do I think that strong personalities are a thing, in the abstract? Sure. Do I think that strong personalities are a thing, specifically in the way that that term is used in the context of sports? No. The same way that I don't believe in momentum, the same way that I don't believe that there's such a thing as a "humble superstar."

Strong personalities, the way that that term is used in sports, is just a way of mythologizing the athletes. And, more often than not, it's used as a cudgel to belittle whatever athletes the speaker doesn't like. Case in point, Damian Lillard versus Kevin Durant. The myth of "strong personality," depending on who's in the designate hot take role, would have you believe that Damian Lillard, who has more career 60-point games than wins in the conference finals, has a stronger personality than a guy who's been named Finals MVP, twice, because that guy had the nerve to not want to stay on a "treadmill" team. It's utter nonsense.

Last edited:
Vlade is vindicated! Porter should pee us off more than luka. If Porter was able to walk leading up to the draft we take him at 2 ya he’s no Luka but dudes a walking 25/8 guy whose a lights out shooter. Having a scorer who doesn’t commands the ball at all next to fox is literally a perfect fit

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
So, just so that we're clear, you don't actually have a problem with "superteams," as long as it's management who gets to get the credit for making them happen?

Sure, hoss, whatever you say. Do I think that strong personalities are a thing, in the abstract? Sure. Do I think that strong personalities are a thing, specifically in the way that that term is used in the context of sports? No. The same way that I don't believe in momentum, the same way that I don't believe that there's such a thing as a "humble superstar."

Strong personalities, the way that that term is used in sports, is just a way of mythologizing the athletes. And, more often than not, it's used as a cudgel to belittle whatever athletes the speaker doesn't like. Case in point, Damian Lillard versus Kevin Durant. The myth of "strong personality," depending on who's in the designate hot take role, would have you believe that Damian Lillard, who has more career 60-point games than wins in the conference finals, has a stronger personality than a guy who's been named Finals MVP, twice, because that guy had the nerve to not want to stay on a "treadmill" team. It's utter nonsense.
absolutely. if management has the assets to put together a team of multiple all-stars, then it's deserved. It's part of being in a management role, constructing the best roster with the assets at your disposal.

your two time NBA Finals MVP wasn't on a treadmill team though, he just didn't want much competition so he decided to join a superior opponent.

absolutely. if management has the assets to put together a team of multiple all-stars, then it's deserved. It's part of being in a management role, constructing the best roster with the assets at your disposal.

your two time NBA Finals MVP wasn't on a treadmill team though, he just didn't want much competition so he decided to join a superior opponent.
Believe me when I say, don't bother. You're wasting your time and energy

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Sorry, but I don't root for the guys in the suits... Guess I'm just built different. ;)

A team that can't get over the hump is just as much a treadmill team as a team that finishes in tenth place, every year. Their treadmill is just in a nicer part of the gym.

dEvIN bOokER iS OVeRrAtED
His play was mediocre while Chris Paul was out but since he’s been back, booker has been playing at an all star level. If he played like this the whole series (or maybe if Paul never got hurt), suns would be at home resting for the next series. This first quarter tho, booker must’ve drank whatever Dame was drinking the other night. Unstoppable.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Sorry, but I don't root for the guys in the suits... Guess I'm just built different. ;)

A team that can't get over the hump is just as much a treadmill team as a team that finishes in tenth place, every year. Their treadmill is just in a nicer part of the gym.
we shall revisit this conversation another time. let's watch some semis

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Suns vs Nuggets is going to be such a good series I think. Meanwhile, asterisk year NBA Finals teams both eliminated first round. has this happened before?

Status
Not open for further replies.