Nascar

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I know no one has much interest in NASCAR but I like Yahoo!'s fantasy league of close to 500,000 people. I want it on record that I predict I will be in the top 500. I'll post proof at the end of the season no matter how it comes out.

Might even post updates if I actually do well as the season progresses. Also helps me keep track of this post. :)

I LOVE Nascar..even help out at AAS (in Roseville) every once in awhile..I think I could do pretty well as well had I joined, but I didn't.

Me and about 30 friends all come together and do a pick-em for each race..I had the 24th pick this week so I have Newman..he could do it.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I LOVE Nascar..even help out at AAS (in Roseville) every once in awhile..I think I could do pretty well as well had I joined, but I didn't.

Me and about 30 friends all come together and do a pick-em for each race..I had the 24th pick this week so I have Newman..he could do it.
I don't do this kind of fantasy but Newman is not bad. Depends on the wrecks. :) That's a great pick for 24th. Why'd Newman fall so far?

Next year we'll need to get together in a Yahoo! type fantasy league. It's a bit tricky. It requires knowledge of the whole field as you pick 4 drivers, one from the top 12, 2 from the next 25 or so and 1 from the bottom. Can't use any driver any more than 9 times in the year.

As I said: it's tricky. I do a lot of studying. I'll root for Newman although my 4 picks are Smoke, Junior, Kurt Busch, and Sadler. I'll be happy if three survive. :) If there wasn't a nine race limit, I would have gone with Biffle instead of Busch.

Last edited:
I have done a Yahoo thing once, it is different, but fun.

I really like your picks though, Sadler can always surprise, dude has a bunch of talent. Jr/Smoke should be up near the front..and no comment on Busch ;).

Can 5 guys win this race?

Not sure how Newman fell, I was thinking I would have to dust off my Front Row Joe shirt for this race seeing as how late I picked! :D

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Umm, the best I have done is have the top three and the 5th which is kind of miraculous as the Group C drivers (the bottom feeders) only occasionally get a top 10 and if I remember right it was menard getting a third place a couple years ago. Paul graduated from my high school so that adds some spice.

We'll have 5 in the top 5, how's that? :)

BTW, I used Busch because there is no way I would use him 9 times in other races. Interesting pair of brothers.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
After a tough week last week I got Biffle this week in Phoenix. He starts 7th so I am hoping for a good showing.
I'm using Biffle also. I don't know how your league choses drafting order but if you all get a chance at #1, etc. at some point in the series, you are doing well if your driver finishes higher than the round you picked him/her in. That means you did OK with Newman as he finished 20th and you picked 24th. What order of pick did you have this week?

I knew I was in bad shape when KuBu wrecked on the 1st corner in the first lap. Worse though is that someone in one of my leagues picked Kurt, Jimmie, and Danica, all of whom wrecked in the first lap. Thank goodness for a long season. I am at the 61st percentile which after the crap shoot that is Daytona, is fine with me.

I'm running Johnson (A), Biffle and Kahne (B), and Labonte (C). It differs from the average Yahoo! fantasy player but I feel good about it.

Here's a link to a great forum http://www.fantasynascarpreview.com/forum/index.php PJ and KWise finished in the top 100 of the Yahoo! league of about 400,000 people. Ignore what anyone else says and you'll do well. Both see Biffle as a possible winner although both favor Johnson.

Last edited:
I'm using Biffle also. I don't know how your league choses drafting order but if you all get a chance at #1, etc. at some point in the series, you are doing well if your driver finishes higher than the round you picked him/her in. That means you did OK with Newman as he finished 20th and you picked 24th. What order of pick did you have this week?

I knew I was in bad shape when KuBu wrecked on the 1st corner in the first lap. Worse though is that someone in one of my leagues picked Kurt, Jimmie, and Danica, all of whom wrecked in the first lap. Thank goodness for a long season. I am at the 61st percentile which after the crap shoot that is Daytona, is fine with me.

I'm running Johnson (A), Biffle and Kahne (B), and Labonte (C). It differs from the average Yahoo! fantasy player but I feel good about it.

Here's a link to a great forum http://www.fantasynascarpreview.com/forum/index.php PJ and KWise finished in the top 100 of the Yahoo! league of about 400,000 people. Ignore what anyone else says and you'll do well. Both see Biffle as a possible winner although both favor Johnson.
Other than Kahne you had yourself a nice day!

That is a great forum that I check out far to often lol.

I had the 17th pick this week, usually we go by how you finish the week before. Though it is random every once in awhile.

Off to Vegas we go! This third place finish should put me in the top 10 of points. I have a feeling you are really going to improve as well.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Other than Kahne you had yourself a nice day!

That is a great forum that I check out far to often lol.

I had the 17th pick this week, usually we go by how you finish the week before. Though it is random every once in awhile.

Off to Vegas we go! This third place finish should put me in the top 10 of points. I have a feeling you are really going to improve as well.
I came out far better than I thought. I hate having people wreck so early as it sours my mood. :) When Smoke had trouble I knew that wiped out about 40% of my competition so as much as I like him personally, his problems worked to my advantage and I'll bet they worked well to yours also. I must say a hearty thank you to The Biff. He hung around pretty mediocre until the end. That's a pleasant surprise. Labonte was a surprise also as he always has disappointed me in the past (of course).

I look forward to finding out what happened to Smoke's car. Must have something to do with fuel injection and I'll bet the drivers will be a little more cautious about turning off the engines. Can't just spray a little gas in the carb and get it started.

Well, due to the solid finish of Biffle (finished 3rd) I will be picking 3rd to last (26th) this week..so it will be difficult to get a solid guy. Time for Casey Mears to lead me to a win!

Glenn

Hall of Famer
What pick have you got? Glad you are reading that forum as it gives us both the best info there is. I've checked out a variety of sources but for the Yahoo! League, there is nothing better. Seems like there are very few people who can take on the complexity of Yahoo! However, for you, there are tidbits that are really useful as KWise an pj are always asked which driver is better than another and sooner or later you can find the best for your uses. I swear all should be ignored but pj and Kwise (and Capt Vat?) and hope that's what you are doing. I have turned off my brain this year and am going to mimic KWise so any claim I make as to being brilliant go out the window. :)

BTW, although I know who the best drivers are over the years, I hadn't paid real attention until 5 years ago. It is a far more intricate sport than most people think. This idea that you just turn left is a true criticism but what goes into that "just turning left" is amazing.

As an aside, I hope modern car makers take some hints from the present Sprint car as to safety. They are safe. Ever since they dropped that rear spoiler and eliminated the tendency to fly, they have got a safe car. I doubt if we will see another death unless Montoya takes on a jet drier again. :)

I have a friend who owns two mega engine Corvettes, a matching set for he and his wife, a new Camaro which his wife drives and is restoring a 70's Charger with a 500 hp turbo charged engine. This is not a rich man, BTW. Just an average guy who is poor because of the big engined cars he loves. :) He has a very tolerant wife.

BTW, I only have to pass 53,000 people to reach my goal. :)

Last edited:
Well it was tough to find a solid driver with the 26th pick but I was able to grab Regan Smith. He finished 15th and moved me to P6 on the board.

Spent all day yesterday at the local track (AAS) for practice. Will likely get rained out next week.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Got Newman for the race tomorrow, hopefully he does better this time than he did last time I picked him (Daytona).
Daytona is a crap shoot.

I'm a big Newman fan but he frequently disappoints me. I won't let that stop me. However, he now has the same cars as Smoke and that is a very good thing.

Edit: early Sundya. I have gotten the latest advice from pj and KWise. Best in my group is probably (A) Kyle, bench Johnson, (B) Newman, Biffle, bench Truex, and Junior, and (C) Almirola, and bench Labonte. I don't know when you picked or what your options were but this can't be much better than you can get except for JJ and Kyle. Biff is on a role. Now we pray for no DNFs. :)

If the Kings can't kick a$$, let's kick a$$.

Last edited:

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Who ya running? I went with (A) Johnson, (B) Martin, Boyer, and (C) Gaughan. There is only one full time racer in group C who is any good. Makes it tough. All I hope for is that Brendan doesn't crash. :) Almirola is the only "real" racer in C in my opinion. But everyone has the same problem. Looks like I will be picking full time Nationwide people who stick their nose into Sprint whenver I can.

I have a bad feeling about this one but the, as I said, everyones got the same propblem.

Hope you picked Johnson or Kenseth. Kenseth is from my home state of Wisconsin and looks like he'll have a good year. Menard is from my high school in Eau Claire, WI and is lucky to have a dad who loves car racing.

Edit: Gaughan was a start and park. Stupid choice.

Last edited:

Glenn

Hall of Famer
This is a Hendricks day especially 48 but Biffle, Martin, and Truex should be fine also. Restrictor plate races have killed me but I'm sitting at 92 percentile.

Edit: I'm 16,000 away from my goal. I'm in two leagues of elderly folks and doing poorly. I thought I could take advantage of the old folks. Dang, these people know their racing!!! Tell me about your racing experience. I went around a dirt track in an old clunker set up for racing and it was fun. 'Course I was alone on the track. :) That's the limit of my hands on experience.

Last edited:
Been awhile...but how are you doing in your league? I am sitting in 3rd..hoping I can make it to the chase. Would love to pick up a victory as well.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Been awhile...but how are you doing in your league? I am sitting in 3rd..hoping I can make it to the chase. Would love to pick up a victory as well.
I'm 5,500 out of first when given that there are about 300,000 playing, isn't bad. I hate plate races for fantasy purposes.

I'm 5,500 out of first when given that there are about 300,000 playing, isn't bad. I hate plate races for fantasy purposes.
Not bad at all! I agree with you on the plate races, those are tough to pick.

Not sure how often you get out to AAS, but a driver died tonight. During the SRS main Ron Pestana (of Ron Pestana and the pit crew band) had what many thing was a health incident before hitting the wall..very sad night.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I need to brag before I get wiped out in another race. :) I scored 375 pts today which is 10 pts off the max. If only I had Kyle B. on the bench for this one. I moved up 3,000 people and am at 98th percentile. Now watch what happens next week. :(

Sounds awful what happened at the race. I think I have heard of that happening before. Tell me more about where these races are. I can't walk well but I'd love to go if you could give me a ride. Depends on a few things but it could be fun.

Plate races are great for people who love wrecks but I'm too focused on fantasy games to enjoy them. It always happens that I do poorly when there is a last lap wreck. A couple weeks ago at Daytona Kenseth and Biffle were leading the whole race and my others were doing fine also. Then I swear 1/4 of the cars DNF'd and another 1/2 wrecked. That's why I liked this week as there was no last lap or 10 lap disaster.

Let's win all our leagues! Ha! I talk too much.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Two races into the season and never in my 10 year history of fantasy NASCAR have I been so bad. I steadily learned the "sport" and now am damn good. This year even 34 more races may not salvage me. Last year I finished 2nd in an extremely competitive league (3rd the year before) and now am 45th out of 48. I know nobody is reading or cares but PHUCK!!!!!

Did I say I hate plate races like Daytona???? It's a crap shoot but for those who watch NASCAR for carnage, it must be just grand.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Been watching/listening to the fall out on ESPN. I haven't really paid attention since Dale died, seems like there is a new Dale in town? Except everyone hates him.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I didn't see the fight because there was too much sports on yesterday. Keselowski I presume is the new Dale, Sr. He's a great driver and has a great car. He also gets into fights. What is remarkable about this one is that three teams were involved in the fight.