MLS commissioner to visit Sacramento, talk expansion

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
http://soccer.nbcsports.com/2016/04/01/mls-commissioner-to-visit-sacramento-talk-mls-expansion/

MLS Commissioner Don Garber is heading to Sacramento in April to discuss the California capital’s chances of getting an MLS expansion franchise.

The league and club announced the trip on Thursday, as Sacramento Republic FC will host Garber and Deputy Commissioner Mark Abbott on Apr. 14 to discuss their plans to enter MLS.

Republic’s managing partner, Kevin Nagle, will tour the MLS executives around the proposed new MLS stadium for Sacramento incorporated in the Railyards district...

May be fun if my kids like it. I remember as a kid how exciting it was when the Kings came to town.

The notion of an expansion team where everything about it is new does seem interesting, rather than a relocation.

Hey Brick, if this happens I hope you have a decent soccer portion offered here.

I don't follow the Republic though now.

pdxKingsFan

Hall of Famer
Anyone know if its normal for a "minor" team to make the leap in MLS?
Sort of. The Republic was founded on the Portland Timbers model (sort of, but I'll spare the boring differences), which actually started a few years earlier when their rivals the Seattle Sounders joined MLS spurring a wave of "promotions". They were joined 2 years later by the Timbers and Whitecaps (Vancouver) and a year later by Montreal, all USL teams with a long heritage. The next wave brought a new NYC team (despite the another legendary team, the reformed Cosmos attempts to go to MLS) and Orlando City who were in USL prior to MLS for 5 years.

There are also teams planned in Atlanta and Minnesota which have USL/NASL teams but the owners in Atlanta were passed up in favor of a new ownership group while the Minnesota United will move their brand to MLS. The Republic will certainly keep their branding if they ever get awarded a team.

Unlike the rest of the world there is no promotion and relegation based on performance so the old teams are either completely dissolved or relocated (Orlando to Louisville, as a recent example) in the lower tiers of American soccer however many MLS teams have recently created B-teams to compete in these leagues. MLS wants established fan bases to come into the league except when it can get splashy markets.

I think Sac was a bit late to the party and had they started the Republic in 2010 they'd have a team in MLS before Atlanta, Minnesota or Miami. Unfortunately they got in the game right as the last few teams were being added. I do think within 5 years they will be a shoe in for the next wave of expansion if their current support continues.

Well, for a while now its felt like MLS has been using Sacramento to push Miami and Minnesota to the forefront. Now that Cinn, St Louis, Phoenix, and San Diego have come on the scene we have sort of become an afterthought.

Ive felt for some time now that MLS is blowing smoke up our a**. Using us. If we get a team, cool. If not screw the MLS. They have something very very special here and if they want to forego that, **** em.

Well, for a while now its felt like MLS has been using Sacramento to push Miami and Minnesota to the forefront. Now that Cinn, St Louis, Phoenix, and San Diego have come on the scene we have sort of become an afterthought.

Ive felt for some time now that MLS is blowing smoke up our a**. Using us. If we get a team, cool. If not screw the MLS. They have something very very special here and if they want to forego that, **** em.
Yes. We may deserve a team in that we've had our ducks in order first, but, money talks, and there are more lucrative markets in play.... The bid mix up maybe the only excuse they needed.. Why did we wait to start this process instead have been proactive earlier like Orlando or the other previous cities?

If it happens it happens, but for me better not to expect it soon. Some folks like Carmichael Dave who think it's a shoe in might be waiting

But, the MLS is the minor leagues of world football with an inferior product comparatively, so it's not about the team on the field anyways but the experience of going to a football game (soccer) and enjoying. It's more like triple A or double A difference compared to Europe. By the time the MLS does get here maybe the profile of talent and wherewithal of the league will be competitive

Last edited: