Mike Brown

I will be first to admit I was underwhelmed with the hire because I thought it was a retread type of move, but damn this guy is a COACH. I couldn’t have been more wrong.
I'll admit the only reason I was ok with it initially was because I did my homework when the alternative was Jackson. It felt retready to me but then I realized he's really not all that old, and he checks off a lot of boxes I wanted (ie. top assistant, hungry, etc) and as a bonus if he failed here he probably was going to be out of chances. Then his assistant hires were basically everything else I wanted.

But yeah if Jackson wasn't involved I'd have been squarely in the "LeBron made him" camp, when maybe they helped make each other.

Brown continues to push all the right buttons. He seems to be playing the right guys at the right moments.

I will be first to admit I was underwhelmed with the hire because I thought it was a retread type of move, but damn this guy is a COACH. I couldn’t have been more wrong.
George Karl was a retread move. This hire of Brown was something completely different. A guy who clearly kept learning and evolving in his long time with the Warriors

George Karl was a retread move. This hire of Brown was something completely different. A guy who clearly kept learning and evolving in his long time with the Warriors
I had him more in that class of guys like McMillan or Stotts. Totally not fair but it's not like I spent a lot of time thinking about who else LeBron had to run with in Cleveland before he left the first time.

I tend to think that his biggest growth was learning to balance what he asked from players with feeding their egos after whatever happened in Los Angeles.
I'm here in So Cal and Mike Brown never had a chance to succeed with the Lakers. He was never flashy enough of a hire, nor "Hollywood" enough to satisfy the Lakers fan base. The Lakers and their fans are all about flash and showtime, which Brown was neither. Which is why they are stuck with Westbrook currently.

Brown's personality is much better suited for a smaller town like Cleveland or Sacramento, where his coaching of "accountability" and having "workman like work ethic" would be much better appreciated by the fans.

After watching Brown this season, I think we have a much clearer idea. How in the world were we ever ok — even for a moment — with the likes of Luke, Avery, etc??
Watched the HB interview and it seems like this is the first time since coming to Sacramento that there is any form of structure. This is good and I thank Mike Brown for the structure! I hope he will be able to see the beam from his house in El Dorado Hills since Vivek made it brighter!

Watched the HB interview and it seems like this is the first time since coming to Sacramento that there is any form of structure. This is good and I thank Mike Brown for the structure! I hope he will be able to see the beam from his house in El Dorado Hills since Vivek made it brighter!
That’s interesting, because they all seemed to be mentioning that in training camp interviews as well. Fox and others remarked about how they all knew what they were going to be doing when, who was doing what, and how they were purposefully mixing things up for some variety after the first few days. I’ve admired how carefully the players have avoided criticizing the previous regime, though I would love to know the real scoop!

They all allegedly liked Walton and lobbied for him to come back so I guess they wouldn't talk too bad about him? I'm sure he's a chill dude, if he didn't get his dad, or Phil's, or Lute's, or Steve's basketball brain, he probably at least has his dad's connect?

Regarding Mike Brown, I actually have a question...

How freaking good is he going to look at center court, along with the rest of his coaching staff, and the rest of the Kings staff and, most importantly, the players during the Kings' picture (to be taken some time in mid to late June, or perhaps early July) which will also include the many pieces of hardware that will be presented to various Kings personnel, culminating in the one presented to the team on June 9, 2023???

:p:p:p

It's really crazy how long it took for a team to give Mike Brown another shot at a head coaching gig. He was overall very successful as a HC, but it was 8 long years between HC gigs for him.

The offense game plans and schemes he learned under Steve Kerr has really made him a 2 way threat as a coach. I believe he will get the defense in order once Monte gets him a couple more defensive pieces. The future is really bright (Light the Beam!) for coach Brown and the Kings!

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
While I have nothing but gut to support this, I've always felt that the measure of a head coach came in the third quarter. You have 24 minutes of game time to assess your scouting and game plan and the team's execution, and you have 12 minutes to tell your guys how to take advantage of the other team's weaknesses that shone through, and how to anticipate the adjustments that the opponent is going to make. Head coaches win or lose third quarters.

The above stat passes the eye test.

I feel like the 3rd quarter was always the tell tale sing of the game. How many crappy third quarters were there were the kings fought back in the fourth to loose by a possession or two? And If they had even played an average 3rd they would have likely won.