Mike Bibby joining Kings broadcasts as analyst

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
if we know one thing under the Vivek era, it's that he gives former Kings players chances for employment in different positions throughout the franchise
Who were you expecting to get an analyst job for Kings games? Someone with absolutely no connection to the franchise?

This should be good.

considering the one time he did join the booth he said he didn’t know who Trey Lyles is and also wasn’t aware that Richaun Holmes was on the Kings for a few years but was more on his way out and not “they’re going to love you here”
This certainly has the potential for generating some terrible television. I just can’t take bibby seriously in his current gym bro state.

Love Bibby but I think his analytical and commentating skills are on par with BJax.
BJax was entertaining because it was always fun watching him talk to whoever the “Kings insider” was with utter contempt.

He was a little easier on James Ham but there was that weird season with Bill Herenda(who I don’t remember being on the Kings beat before or after) and Bjax stared a hole through him every time he came on for his “scoops” and especially when he gave his opinion.

Only reason to watch post game back then.

Mike Bibby does not have a TV voice besides cannot add much as obviously does not follow NBA closely since retired from playing. Radio would probably be better suited for him but considering failed attempts several times coaching basketball high school level Vivek might regret this odd move.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Mike Bibby does not have a TV voice besides cannot add much as obviously does not follow NBA closely since retired from playing. Radio would probably be better suited for him but considering failed attempts several times coaching basketball high school level Vivek might regret this odd move.
I’m sure the Kings probably have some say in who gets hired but NBC sports is the one making the move, not Vivek.

You guys take this stuff way too seriously. Gotta have something to complain about, I suppose.

Bibby is a franchise legend most every KINGS fan born before the new millennium knows. Which is probably the point.

If you look around the league you’ll find that many teams have former players covering the team during pre and post game coverage. And many of them aren’t all that good at it.

But, again, that doesn’t seem to be the reason they’re there.

I thought he actually did pretty good too.

He’s obviously still learning about the Kings. He did an interview on Kyle Drapers show the day before and he obviously still had limited knowledge about the Kings outside of “Sabonis reminds me of Vlade” and “Fox is really good”

however, I thought he did well breaking things down, especially post game. Offering insights and hindsight’s you need from a studio analyst. I thought he made a good point that Keegan shouldn’t have played Draymond so close in order to create more traffic for Klay or maybe even block the shot.

I was worried that Mike was going to be a man of few words but he actually had something to say. So I’d imagine he’ll only get better as he watches more Kings games.

Mike did better than I expected. He doesn't really follow the Kings closely but he has a good understanding of the game and is able to articulate it. Not bad for a debut. He will get better with time if he puts in the effort.

Now, I can avoid the second hand embarrassment that I get whenever I watched K9.

BJax was entertaining because it was always fun watching him talk to whoever the “Kings insider” was with utter contempt.

He was a little easier on James Ham but there was that weird season with Bill Herenda(who I don’t remember being on the Kings beat before or after) and Bjax stared a hole through him every time he came on for his “scoops” and especially when he gave his opinion.

Only reason to watch post game back then.
Guy Haberman with Bill Herenda. Yikes :oops: