Mid-Season Trade Thought: Draymond Green

Because August is such a boring time on the NBA calendar:

Kings In: Draymond Green
Kings Out: WCS + Iman Shumpert

Why for Kings: Fairly obvious, but a chance to get a team catalyst who can play the “3” on offense (at least in regards to spacing) while guarding the opponent’s best 3-5. Moreover, it gives the Kings the league’s best recruiter heading into the summer where they would have almost two max slots available. I think he would enjoy the challenge of developing the young guys into a contender, too. No hard evidence; he just seems like the kind of guy that would get a thrill out of building these kids into a James’ Lakers-destroying monster.

Warriors In: WCS + Shump
Warriors Out: Draymond Green

Why for Warriors: Really, two major assumptions—they have no intention of offering Draymond a supermax extension this summer and this is the season where mid-season friction finally cascades over the edge. Why? No real reason other than 6 or 7 years is a long time together, and there have been heavy intimations that Draymond was kind of problematic this last year. No matter what, the Warriors will be facing trading Draymond or seeing Klay walk next summer. This deal gives them another defensive Swiss Army knife in WCS who will be easier to maintain via RFA, as well as an ending Iggy insurance piece in Shump. Should Iggy get hurt mid-season or in the playoffs again, they can get by with Shump soaking up those minutes. If they decide to trade Draymond, can they get a better deal? Maybe. But, it might be hard to find one that so seamlessly suits another championship run. One other assumption—I think WCS is going to be awesome in his contract year and be fairly highly coveted around the league.

Is green a clear max level talent to begin with? He is a wayyyys down my list of top players in the league. Certainly a valuable 3rd or 4th piece, but if he is your 1st or 2nd best player are you even a playoff team in the west?

Draymond is special on the Warriors because of the make up of the rest of the team. because they can score so easily and shoot the three so well while being good defenders. Draymonds skills (defense and passing) are emphasized in a way they would not be on the Kings.

A similar situation was when IT was a Celtic. That Celtics squad was a tough defensive unit and it allowed IT to be high usage and look for his shot.

IMO Players like Draymond and IT would not be as special in other situations.

Because August is such a boring time on the NBA calendar:

Kings In: Draymond Green
Kings Out: WCS + Iman Shumpert

Why for Kings: Fairly obvious, but a chance to get a team catalyst who can play the “3” on offense (at least in regards to spacing) while guarding the opponent’s best 3-5. Moreover, it gives the Kings the league’s best recruiter heading into the summer where they would have almost two max slots available. I think he would enjoy the challenge of developing the young guys into a contender, too. No hard evidence; he just seems like the kind of guy that would get a thrill out of building these kids into a James’ Lakers-destroying monster.

Warriors In: WCS + Shump
Warriors Out: Draymond Green

Why for Warriors: Really, two major assumptions—they have no intention of offering Draymond a supermax extension this summer and this is the season where mid-season friction finally cascades over the edge. Why? No real reason other than 6 or 7 years is a long time together, and there have been heavy intimations that Draymond was kind of problematic this last year. No matter what, the Warriors will be facing trading Draymond or seeing Klay walk next summer. This deal gives them another defensive Swiss Army knife in WCS who will be easier to maintain via RFA, as well as an ending Iggy insurance piece in Shump. Should Iggy get hurt mid-season or in the playoffs again, they can get by with Shump soaking up those minutes. If they decide to trade Draymond, can they get a better deal? Maybe. But, it might be hard to find one that so seamlessly suits another championship run. One other assumption—I think WCS is going to be awesome in his contract year and be fairly highly coveted around the league.
So the logic here is that the Warriors aren't going to extend Green and will take on an expiring contract and a rookie coming up to his first pay day?

Seriously the Warriors will pay Green a tidy sum and keep this core together, but if they did decide to trade him, it wouldn't be for our flawed center (ie can't shoot, isn't an impressive rounder or blocker, not a premier scorer etc) and a depth chart guy. It will be for a lot more than that.

Last edited:
Green will be rendered useless here without 2 of the greatest shooter ever so that teams pay him no mind. Without teams doubling curry 30 feet away leaving green with an open line how will he score. Can’t post up PGs can’t create for himself and he can’t shoot for crap. He’s shot 30% from 3 last 2 seasons and I can bet 90% of those were wide open.

Now ok to defense he’ll become a mediocre defender here the minute he’s traded. The nba let’s him get away with murder on defense to protect there golden team. He’s start fouling out from the word go. And speaking of murder his ruthless assaults on refs would result in techs since he wouldn’t be on GSW anymore

Just call me Nostradamus. Just kidding...anyway, don’t think I want to revisit this trade idea, but Warriors front office may be active this trade deadline.
I think the Warriors are going to win the title again, three-peating, and Kevin Durant is leaving and there is nothing the Warriors can do about it with or without a Green trade. Instead of targeting Green via trade, we should win 45 games and make Sacramento an attractive destination to Kevin Durant this summer. :p .

The motivation for Durant is to prove his many haters wrong by entering a legitimately challenging situation but one he can profoundly effect in one or two season as his prime playing window closes, that he can do get to the NBA Finals without joining an existing "super team". I know Vlade says we are a super team, just young, but no matter how well we play we are NOT a super team. Yet. The Warriors are a super team, the 76ers are a super team with Butler, Celtics are loaded, Lakers have LeBron. If Durant joins up with one of these teams he will subject to the same criticism as when he left the Thunder. No matter how he wants to pretend to be oblivious, he hears this.

Durant needs to go somewhere where there is legitimate fast path to the Finals without joining an existing "Super Team". That's not the Knicks a dysfunctional mess with the Porzingis question. Bucks are out, they already have a "better version of Durant". The Heat are getting old and not looking too promising. It could be the Clippers and Balmer. The Nuggets and Jazz would be good landing spots for him, but they are bordering on "too good". The Wolves would be appealing with Towns if they fired their coach. I don't really see a perfect spot for him. Well there is one perfect spot for Durant come the Summer of 2019..... SAC-RA-MEN-TO . SAC-RA-MEN-TO . SAC-RA-MEN-TO :cool:

Dude will pick up techs faster than Cousins did and refs would start calling fouls on him. He’ll foul out faster than Giles, he’s protected in GS