Marvin Bagley - the legend begins

Don’t know if it was already posted....but this play needs to be talked about again. At 2:11

This defensive sequence, fronting KAT, moving to be able to in position to help, blocking the shot, recovering the ball, instinctively bringing the ball up the court and surveying the options, realizing that he is a f****king killer and should just go be great and hit the jet boosters. This is the modern big man.

Ladies and gentlemen.....we got em.

https://tenor.com/1h3i.gif

His outside shot is improving and his free throws are looking much better. I think he was 6 for 6 last night and a few games ago he hit like 11 free throws.
He has played good defense and it’s going to get better, he is fouling at a very low rate for a rookie big man.
I really See him as a star in the making.
Thank you vlade and company.

Still 22 games to go in the season, but I thought I'd post this for comparison sake. It's MB3's current season compared to DeMarcus Cousins rookie season in 2010/2011. Boogie turned 20 before his rookie season began whereas Marvin is and will be 19 for most of his.

MB3 -- GM: 46, MIN: 24.9, PPG: 14.0, RPG: 7.2, APG: 1.0, BPG: 1.0 FG%: .513, 3PT%: .267, FT%: .696, TO: 1.7
DMC -- GM: 81, MIN: 28.5, PPG: 14.1, RPG: 8.6, APG: 2.5, BPG: 0.8 FG%: .430, 3PT%: .167, FT%: .687, TO: 3.3

Very similar numbers. Except MB3 has done it in fewer minutes. MB3's shooting numbers are much better overall and he has half the turnovers.

While they are two different players, I think this comparison demonstrates that Marvin is well on course to becoming a pretty darn good player. It's likely many of his season ending numbers will be better than above, considering how he's performed in recent weeks.
His FT has improved and he doesn't take many 3s but that will come up.

I saw Simmons has now decided that Marvin will be special. Maybe he said that to jinx us back down to earth, but I think he believes it.

Ever since Reke I've been a bit wary of the true significance of the RotY award but if he can pull his way into second place that will be a nice little achievement given he's had to earn every minute on a winning club this year.

The biggest thing is how he has been continually adding to his game. In Summer League and training camp, he was pretty much the straightforward score-inside-and-rebound big man that he was generally asked to be in college. As the season has gone on, he's incorporated more varied ball skills and defensive abilities that open up the possibilities for the type of player he can be.

In Fox's rookie year, he had several areas that needed improvement and he actually improved in all of them over one summer, which is not something you can count on for second year players. Marvin is doing him one better by improving in several areas over the course of his rookie year. So while I don't know for sure that he can develop high-level court vision, outside shooting or rim protection, after watching him so far this year, I couldn't put it past him to do so. His post-All-Star statistical splits will be fun to follow.

Don’t know if it was already posted....but this play needs to be talked about again. At 2:11

This defensive sequence, fronting KAT, moving to be able to in position to help, blocking the shot, recovering the ball, instinctively bringing the ball up the court and surveying the options, realizing that he is a f****king killer and should just go be great and hit the jet boosters. This is the modern big man.

Ladies and gentlemen.....we got em.

https://tenor.com/1h3i.gif
He is Giannis with a 3 point shot

Kingster

Hall of Famer
The kid still hasn't turned 20 yet. It's ridiculous. He's like a Borg that is continually adapting and incorporating more into his game from others and is relentlessly trying to kill you, having no doubts, no remorse, no uncertainty, and no mercy. He just keeps on coming, and coming and coming until you're finally dead. Kevin Durant got the better of Bagley in their last meeting. He got four strips on Bagley. Bagley didn't bat on eye. He just kept on attacking. He's just not going to stop until you're dead. Durant better be watching his back because getting the better of Bagley is just going to make him stronger and attack him that much more in their next meetings. Don't turn you're back, KD. Bagley is coming to get you.

At least Bruski is one media guy that can admit the marathon is far from over. Makes me respect him more as a non-biased reporter, unlike most these other pundits.

As I've made clear numerous times, I was a pro-Luka guy before and immediately after the draft. But I saw enough talent and skill from MB3 initially to open my mind up to him and Vlade's decision. As the season has progressed, I've become more and more assured that the KINGS got a great player with superstar potential. We won't know who the best player from the draft class is/was for another few seasons -- and we'll never know if someone else could have been a better fit -- but what we do know now for certain is that MB3 is a really good player. Like the Mavericks rookie, he looks more skilled and advanced than the typical 19 year old.

The KINGS needed to hit a home run with the #2 pick and it's looking more and more like they have with each passing game.

I'm embarrassed to say that a big reason I preferred Doncic was a bit of lack of faith in Fox.

As for Marvin's growth, he was pretty much worthless without Fox in SL. His jump(s) through the season has been amazing. It's hard to say what his absolute ceiling is but it's clear he's willing to put in the work and his physical skill set is tough to match.

And lets give plenty of credit to Joerger and Vlade and co, because he's a great fit with the others and I think they're all feeding off one another. And certainly I bet when Bags has a bad "let's vent on social" day guys like Buddy and Fox can point to their first year struggles and say it's worth it. I really do believe that since these guys are all coming in close together and none are stepping on each others' toes (at least too much) we'll see a team that sticks together beyond their controlled years.

soon, if not now, it would be interesting to see a poll on who you would draft at #2 if you had it all over to do again with 20-20 hindsight. I know many might still pick Luka, but I bet a good number of people have come around. Bruski's tweets are shocking to me.

soon, if not now, it would be interesting to see a poll on who you would draft at #2 if you had it all over to do again with 20-20 hindsight. I know many might still pick Luka, but I bet a good number of people have come around. Bruski's tweets are shocking to me.
Yea I'd still pick Luka at 2, he's now posting near triple doubles almost every game at 19 years old and with a poor team around him. He's gonna be something else. But MB3 I think is the 2nd best player from this draft, just in front of Jaren Jackson and Trae. When it came time for the draft, I remember Marvin's stock had dropped, with some projections having him outside of the top 5. I do feel the Kings should be vindicated now with the results.

Ayton at #1 is looking pretty weak right now. He's not bad, but he's not making much noise either.

I must say, I stopped following Bruski on twitter last year because he really does generally "call it like he sees it", but also with a little bit of snark and condescension. He's quite annoying when the Kings were floundering and he wasn't afraid to point out it out and mock their decision making last year. I followed him again because things are better and, what do you know, he still calls it like he sees it -- it just so happens I now like what he's saying, :D

Yea I'd still pick Luka at 2, he's now posting near triple doubles almost every game at 19 years old and with a poor team around him. He's gonna be something else. But MB3 I think is the 2nd best player from this draft, just in front of Jaren Jackson and Trae. When it came time for the draft, I remember Marvin's stock had dropped, with some projections having him outside of the top 5. I do feel the Kings should be vindicated now with the results.

Ayton at #1 is looking pretty weak right now. He's not bad, but he's not making much noise either.
I think most would probably still go Luka 1 and Marvin 2, but wouldn't be shocked if its much closer going into next year after an offseason of growth (and hopefully a consistent three point shot by marvin)

I think most would probably still go Luka 1 and Marvin 2, but wouldn't be shocked if its much closer going into next year after an offseason of growth (and hopefully a consistent three point shot by marvin)
I guess I kind of always thought Luka was a fattie, but he is for sure good! Marvin ... to be a 20-10 guy at his age with his apparent work ethic... hoo boy. I'm good with it anyway.

We're seeing huge glimpses of his potential at C. Just imagine him in a few years time with a stronger body, better shot, and higher IQ. He's going to be quite a handful.

Seriously, add Otto Porter to this bunch (I know, I'm still in denial we didn't get him):

Fox / Hield / Barnes / Porter / Bagley w/a bench of Bogdanovic / Giles / Cauley-Stein

That lineup is scary dangerous.

Ayton can still be a monster if he ever plays with a PG who can set him up properly. I feel like he's destined to be an extremely productive player, but one that is eternally frustrating for his team's fans due to his lack of drive.
Of course he can. And Trae Young had another monster game last night and could turn out as good or better than anyone in his class too.

I'm a broken record, but what I keep repeating is truth. Making judgements this early into their careers is a monstrous mistake. We're only approaching the end of lap 1 of a 4 lap race (4 years time; when we'll have a good idea what's what). No one has ever won a race after the 1st lap. Luka's leading in individual success, but that doesn't mean he's gonna have the lead at the end. Also, Marvin's leading in 'team' success.

Even then, it's not quite that simple. A couple of these players from the 2018 draft class could have HOF numbers that far surpass another while someone with 'lesser' accolades and stats could end up with a title or two or more. If MB3 helps the KINGS win a championship or more, I could care less if his individual accolades and stats are less than others from his class. It won't matter at all.

Ayton can still be a monster if he ever plays with a PG who can set him up properly. I feel like he's destined to be an extremely productive player, but one that is eternally frustrating for his team's fans due to his lack of drive.
And yet the reports are he's the only one on that team giving a damn right now. Unfortunately 2-3 lost years in Phoenix while they sort things out may cost him big in his second contract. Of course if they do recover he could take right off and show why he was the top pick.

Remember, a good chunk of this class was considered to be the entry point to a big man renaissance, the talent is there and if the league allows it, it could undo all of the changes we've seen this decade.

Of course he can. And Trae Young had another monster game last night and could turn out as good or better than anyone in his class too.

I'm a broken record, but what I keep repeating is truth. Making judgements this early into their careers is a monstrous mistake. We're only approaching the end of lap 1 of a 4 lap race (4 years time; when we'll have a good idea what's what). No one has ever won a race after the 1st lap. Luka's leading, but that doesn't mean he's gonna have the lead at the end.

Even then, it's not quite that simple. A couple of these players from the 2018 draft class could have HOF numbers that far surpass another while someone with 'lesser' accolades and stats could end up with a title or two or more. If MB3 helps the KINGS win a championship or more, I could care less if his individual accolades and stats are less than others from his class. It won't matter at all.
Luka is great but nothing is ever going to change the fact of all the top guys in this class he is the least gifted athletically. And to me that's a key ingredient to being a true unicorn. He can certainly work on his body but that's a lot harder than working on his game.

In his last 10 games he's averaging 30.2mins: 18.3pts 9.9rebs 1.1blk 1.5asts 0.9stls on 49.3/26.3/75

3pt shooting is still a work in progress, but look at his 75% shooting stroke. It shows a lot of promise for his jumpshot. I said this earlier in the season. Bagley would have bad games, yet still end up with 12pts 5rebs, so just imagine him when he has good games.

Last 5 games? 32.5mins: 23pts 9.0rebs 1.2blks 1.4asts 1.0stls on 53.5/44.4/76.7

Yes it's a very small sample size, but he's only 19 yearsold playing like this on a fringe playoff team. So much to be excited about right now in the midst of this very tough upcoming stretch.

Not sure if this was posted in another thread, but Espn did a ranking of the top players under 25... http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/26077193/nba-best-25-25-new-next-superstar-rankings

It is pretty comical, especially Bobby Marks rankings. How can you have Monte Morris over Bagley?
I’m gonna go out on a limb and tell you that most of us here can’t read the article you linked. It’s insider ie pay content.

That said, whomever this ‘Marks’ character is, his media credentials should be revoked effective immediately. Nobody should be paying to read crap like that.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I’m gonna go out on a limb and tell you that most of us here can’t read the article you linked. It’s insider ie pay content.

That said, whomever this ‘Marks’ character is, his media credentials should be revoked effective immediately. Nobody should be paying to read crap like that.
To be fair, he was part of the Nets front office that once traded every single draft pick they possibly could for the rotting corpses of Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, and Jason Terry.

Been saying this for a while, Bags template is Giannis.

No, he's not going to be a point guard.

Yes, we're going to be seeing him grab a board then go coast to coast 4 or 5 times a night next year. It'll be the norm not the exception.

Add a consistent euro step, continue refining his range from three (haven't looked, but think he's hit at least one three over the last few games), work on his jump stop, pull up/pass in transition, and he's going to be an absolute offensive nightmare.

And I haven't even discussed his right hand--on defense. Dude is one handed. Once he trusts his right hand more, his coverage area on defense increases 2x.

Beast.