Love and Misses

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/12640334p-13494031c.html

Love and misses

Chris Webber loses his shooting touch while Sacramento pours it on.

By Sam Amick -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PST Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Homecoming king Chris Webber acknowledges a pregame ovation in his first appearance at Arco Arena since Sacramento traded him to the Philadelphia 76ers on Feb. 23.

There was no end to the different moments, for Chris Webber and the team he used to lead and love.

Different, lastly, in the outcome, the Kings burying the Philadelphia 76ers under a heavy shooting display for a 118-109 victory Monday night at Arco Arena.

It was the first time Webber had lost a reunion game on his former team's turf, in this, the fourth stop, of his 12-year career. But when the Kings traded Webber to Philadelphia on Feb. 23, different became his norm.

"It was the first time I'd been traded in the middle of the season, first time I was traded from a championship contender, first time I was traded when I was on the road, first time I had to pack six years worth of stuff in one day," Webber said. "Yeah, it was different."

Between Philadelphia native Cuttino Mobley crashing the reunion party with a 30-point, three-block, three-steal evening; between the other side of the reunion - former 76ers Brian Skinner and Kenny Thomas - teaming for 34 rebounds and 33 points; between Peja Stojakovic adding 26 points; between Webber needing 26 shots (he converted only eight) to finish with 20 points; between Allen Iverson scoring 34 points; and between the Kings holding their playoff position for a day, different was all over the court.

Different was Webber showing a softer side just before going to work, biting his upper lip during his near two-minute standing ovation after he stood with eyes closed, taking deep breaths throughout the national anthem before it.

In a first-quarter moment dependent on the background, Webber and Stojakovic - once side-by-side stars before the Kings chose one over the other - had a one-on-one sequence of miniature Kobe-Shaq proportions.

Stojakovic stole the ball at half-court, with only Webber blocking his path to the basket. Webber rejected Stojakovic's attempt, then shot a look his old teammate's way that only he knew the meaning of. Stojakovic found himself in the identical scenario seconds later, this time muscling in the layup and drawing the foul from Webber for an early 18-14 lead.

There was no end to different: Kings coach Rick Adelman arguing with officials that Webber's offensive tactics were illegal; and Webber's good friend and former teammate, Mike Bibby, nearly shoving Webber into the stands on a hard first-half foul that kept Webber from a layup.

"It's disappointing because every time I've made a return with another team, we've won, and so this really hurts," Webber said. "I didn't want this to be me versus the Kings. I wanted to win. ... I wanted to come here, to win, smile, see the families and the kids and keep a good memory of Sacramento."

For the Kings, the change of pace came in a relatively mild finish, sans the winning or losing shots that have typified much of the last month. Skinner posted a career-high 19 rebounds, playing well against the team for which he couldn't earn playing time. Thomas was a skinnier version of Webber, hitting jump shots from the elbow (9 for 20 overall) to tally 20 points.

"Overall, our energy was unbelievable," Thomas said. "I think this was one of the best games we've played since we got here."

The Kings were in control early, leading by 13 in the first half. Webber hit four of his first five shots, then missed 17 of his last 21.

With the score 87-87 and 9:39 left, the Kings rode Mobley and a late-surging Bibby. Bibby had 13 of his 18 points in the fourth quarter, while Mobley had 11 of his team-high 30 that included 6-for-8 three-point shooting. Webber was 0 for 4 in the fourth. "I told the team (Monday) morning, it's not about the hoopla," Adelman said. "It's all about how we play. It's not about the trades and everything else. It's about (the fact that) we need a win."