Looking back...

wow all this. so much hard bitten cynicism I can't believe we all went through the last dozen years together, and are not completely over the moon about what Vlade has done with the team in about 3.

A for me. I would never ask or expect a team to leap like this from one year to the next.
XD I see a lot of mental gymnastics being done to avoid using the "W" word that rhymes with "song".

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Yes, but then you discussed culture and intangibles when the original thread was specifically about tangible data.
Well yes, fit and culture. Which Vlade picked the guy he thought would fit in both on court and off with the rest of the team he assembled. I'm sure you recall the pre-draft instagram pictures with Bags on his visit and it looked like they a bond already. So again, I'm recognizing Vlade's vision in his offseason decision making, the fact that it's consistent and not oh #2 draft pick, let's blow everything up again, it's all part of the equation in formulating this year's grade.

I mean, I still give it around a C. Probably jumps to a B because of results, but it wasn't amazing.

We tried to get players that rebuffed us, we signed a player that got matched, we got lucky that Bjelica and Yogi were getting marginalized by their current teams.

The things is, the previous years off season is now closer to a B+/A because of the draft and what the signings turned in to.
There’s always luck involved with free agency and the NBA. Not a reason to dock grades

And i truly can’t imagine taking the ball away from Fox to watch Luka slow it up and dribble step back threes. I don’t think so
Maybe watch the Mavs if you think that's all Doncic does. He thrives in the up an down game and always has. Not being a great athlete doesn't change that, was Nash a great athlete? Anyway, people complain that this will turn into a Marvin vs Luka debate yet they still can't help themselves throwing in ignorant comments. Being able to hit step-back threes is a bad thing, I guess :rolleyes: Let's tell Buddy and Bogdan not to take them anymore while we're at it. Yeah, I will point out stupid reasoning if someone else brings it up, even if other people don't like it. Doesn't mean I'm not very happy with Marvin.

Back to the topic at hand. I voted C- and would now bump that up to a B. I thought Bjelica was a solid signing at the time but he has outperformed expectations. Yogi was another solid signing and coming off a great game, I think he can slot into the backup PG role and bring another spark off the bench. Marvin looks great and is getting better. Before anyone accuses me of being bitter over Luka, I'll say it again, Marvin was the only guy I was OK with taking ahead of him. I just don't like the double standards where some are called out for preferring Luka, yet others can't make ignorant, baseless comments in the other direction. There's no reason the discussion can't be reasonable and based on actual reality.

A lot of this year's progress also stems from Joerger, our developing chemistry, and the emergence and growth of Fox/Hield/Bogdan/WCS. That's not a negative in terms of the off-season, it's great for us. But I don't think it was an A off-season because then there's no room for improvement. An A off-season, as someone pointed out, would be trading for or signing an All-Star level player that really makes us into a contender.

That said, it has turned out to be a better off-season than I thought at the time, and I'll happily upgrade my rating. Let's hope our great play continues, because this season has been fun as hell so far.

wow all this. so much hard bitten cynicism I can't believe we all went through the last dozen years together, and are not completely over the moon about what Vlade has done with the team in about 3.

A for me. I would never ask or expect a team to leap like this from one year to the next.
Not really. I gave a B+ and not sure I would change it given the hole we still have at SF.

Was not happy with the draft, but willing to give Bagley a chance.....saw his energy-level in preseason and was satisfied. Now, I'm fairly encouraged (about Bagley). While Doncic looks like a good talent, Bagley may have been the better fit, especially for depth this season. And Shumpert's effort has filled in much better than I would've expected. The team has exceeded my expectations. I think they have a fair shot to make .500. Bogdan is a big reason why. They'd be short 6 wins without the stability he brings off the bench and on offense. Let's face it the team is in an "outscore" mentality - odd for Coach Joerger - but has worked fairly well. If they are .500 at season halfway, I'd say leave the trades alone and work on FTs with the current team more.

In hindsight tho you were really wrong about Fox in that thread. I mean you were kinda laying into him. I think you called him the worst PG prospect?
I layed into Fox because he deserved it.

Last year he was playing selfishly and not finding his teammates on the perimeter. We were near the bottom in 3 point attempts. Teammates that were very good shooters weren’t getting the ball. He also was clueless on defense. A good friend won his NBA front office basketball pool based on advanced stats because he had Fox as his negative player. Fox didn’t make all Rookie first or second team for a reason. His advanced stats last year were the worst for point guard prospects. That was a fact not an opinion.

This year Fox has made a 180 in game and attitude. He talks about finding his teammates in their favorite spots not about him taking the last shot. He is the leader on the team in playing unselfish basketball. The comparison for Fox is Chris Paul now not Damian Lillard. Fox is leading a team this year not a collection of individuals. He is setting the tone.

Gave Vlade a B

Drafting Bagley over Luka dropped it from an A to a B was and still am in love with Luka the prospect. I loved the Bjlecia pick up everyone with eyes knew what he was when he filled in for Butler last year. Liked the yogi pick too nice vet to back up Fox.

Gave Vlade a B

Drafting Bagley over Luka dropped it from an A to a B was and still am in love with Luka the prospect. I loved the Bjlecia pick up everyone with eyes knew what he was when he filled in for Butler last year. Liked the yogi pick too nice vet to back up Fox.
This is opinion and not worth a long argument but I think Bagley is better than Luka in 2-3 years. Luka is a great player today. He will and should win ROY. But his skill level is already so high, I struggle to see how he improves.

Bagley by contrast seems to improve literally week to week. The kid just has the it factor in terms of drive to be the best. His trajectory is so steep and his numbers are already pretty good.

Well if we want to look back, then lets look back and see what I would personally change.

C-

If we still manage to get a future 1st, B

Things I liked: Temple trade, Bjelica and Yogi were good/okay.

I didnt like that Bagley pick too much and I also would've liked us to take a gamble on a young 3&D wing. Treveon Graham signed like 2/3mil for example.

Not getting that Denver salary dump really hurt but hopefully we can still get the future 1st somewhere.
-I liked Bjelica signing but he has performed a little better than I expected.
-Still havent utilized our cap space to gain assets
-Still like the Temple trade
-Still would've drafted differently and with the benefit of a hindsight I would say that was the correct opinion

There were not much on that offseason itself that explains our good record atm. We are performing well mainly because A)Joeger changed his system from horrible to good/great. Bjelica is performing well in that system and makes the system work even better. B) Fox improved a lot and since he plays the most important role (offensive creator), that makes a huge difference. Also wcs took a step forward.

Then there are some smaller reasons too but the biggest thing in that offseason explaining our succes is Bjelica. And still imo its not one of the two major reasons.

So maybe from C- to C+ since Bjelica is great and we didnt waist our cap space again on guys like Zbo. To me acting like this offseason was something special is kind of nonsense. What was really something special was the draft where we got Fox. I always said, he has a shot of being really good as long as he developes a respectable off the dribble 3point shot if the defender goes under the screen and he gets to play in a 4out 1in system. Those two things has happened and it looks awesome

Edit: I could be a lot more thorough on how the Joegers system has changed and why it has so huge positive impact on our offense but this isnt the right thread for it. Im just going to say that the difference is huge

Ps. Im a fan of these type of threads, people could and should reflect on their opinions and takes more often, wether they were succesful or not. These would be fun on some FA target threads, some players that are succeding that people in here didnt want or guys that are bad contracts now but people here really wanted them

Last edited:
The off season was a success mainly because we didnt offer Jabari Parker a contract like many here wanted us to do. That dude was recently benched and taken out of the main part of the rotation. Sucks to be the Bulls right now.

Sorry, I have some catching up to do..
Did anyone else want to get the Denver pick @ 14 and take MPJ?

I forgot what contract they wanted to get rid of in trade the team was potentially going to get that pick. I was hoping when I saw him fall, that could be us.
It was Faried. I wanted that trade badly. Was posting and tweeting about it during the draft.

I have a feeling when MPJ fell to Denver, that trade was off the table. Top 3 talent risk at mid first round changes plans. The Faried trade ended up being a future 1st, which will be lower than the MPJ pick. Denver did well. I'm confident that we reached out, especially after seeing the whiteboard in Vlade office that had MPJ listed #4.

It was Faried. I wanted that trade badly. Was posting and tweeting about it during the draft.

I have a feeling when MPJ fell to Denver, that trade was off the table. Top 3 talent risk at mid first round changes plans. The Faried trade ended up being a future 1st, which will be lower than the MPJ pick. Denver did well. I'm confident that we reached out, especially after seeing the whiteboard in Vlade office that had MPJ listed #4.
Well it's nice to know I wasn't the only one.

Sorry, I have some catching up to do..
Did anyone else want to get the Denver pick @ 14 and take MPJ?

I forgot what contract they wanted to get rid of in trade the team was potentially going to get that pick. I was hoping when I saw him fall, that could be us.
I was hoping to get him. Still am if the price is cheap.

The title of this thread makes me think it's a Garth Brooks song...

I voted B originally and I that's about the worst it could be. SF wasn't really addressed but Shump has been a solid stop gap and really important part of the team. I love that the patienc3 the coaching staff is showing in the young guys.