Lemme make a case for Shumpert as a good fit on this roster.

As long as Shump's making those 3's he's got real upside, and tbh it'll look more natural than going small.. He looked vocal to me last night, almost like a vet presence.
When I watch the Kings and look for an identity, one thing that stands out to me is; I see a team who's got a lot of hands-y defenders. It's no coincidence either, this is how Vlade set this team up... Thru 3 games they are tied for 10th in the league in steals right now(without any single defender being in the top-30) and I'll be shocked if they fall to the bottom half.

I'm sure some might interpret that as the young Kings reaching instead of moving their feet but thats not really what I'm talking about. I mean more of a hands-y defender such as Paul Millsap, who's able to knock balls loose while gliding in another direction, basically guys with timing that are able to multi-task and drop-low quickly, and 'sell out' when the opportunity presents.

Its clear the Kings bigs are pretty good at this. Willie and it looks like Giles and Marvin appear to be well above average... Fox is wizard status at this... Iman Shumpert is EXCELLENT at this, and it was on full display last night, pretty sure he knocked 4 balls loose, and there shoulda been a 5th but they callled a completely clean one a foul.. I can recall a game during Shumps rookie year where he was attacking PRIME D-ROSE's dribble over and over and he stole the show in overtime...

Justin Jackson and Bjelly might not have the quick hands like Shump and Fox, but their anticipation on steals looks to be again, above average. So it's pretty much the whole rotation.. Yogi's no weak-link in this chain either, he looks good defensively.

The fastbreak is fast these days, so the threat of turnovers is heightened. All of this adds up to some form of attrition in the Kings favor. It's the type of thing that can compound, get in opponents heads and fester, plus I mean lets be real - no team wants to lose to the Kings.

Last nights game was GLORIOUS, to me it felt like the Kings were just too hot for the Thunder to handle. It's like we put their feet to the fire. Shumpert was clearly one of the driving forces behind this --- he set the tone in the 1st quarter. We didn't Blindside the Thunder either, they knew what was coming, Billy Donovan made comments before the game about how Sacramento's young and fast and it's gonna be a track meet.

It just seems to me like clearly the Kings are weakest at the wing, and if Shump can outperform, Bogdan can return to last years form, Buddy and JJ can show marginal improvements, that might actually be one of the paths of least resistance for the Kings to make a quick improvement.

Til Bogdan returns idk how they can keep shump out of the starting lineup.

When I watch the Kings and look for an identity, one thing that stands out to me is; I see a team who's got a lot of hands-y defenders. It's no coincidence either, this is how Vlade set this team up... Thru 3 games they are tied for 10th in the league in steals right now(without any single defender being in the top-30) and I'll be shocked if they fall to the bottom half.
They are also 3rd in deflections and loose balls recovered. However, we are bottom 3 in contested shots.

When the trade went down did the kings take a chance on Shumpert being a serviceable SF?

Can the kings run a fast pace offense and go small at the SF position?

Did the kings think that with Jackson, Shumpert and Bogdan they have what they need?

Can the kings get value for him along with some others at the trade deadline if the continue to play decent?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
if he can make some shots and play defense then he has a place on this roster but you always have to question when he is going to miss next slate of games due to an injury considering his history thus far. He's also playing for a new contract so the motivation is kicked into an extra gear for him individually.

Shump was making shots laat night for sure, BUT im going to remain pretty sckeptical he can consistently knock down the 3 at an above average rate. Historically he isnt known as a good shooter.

Also, the game against Utah where he was jacking up brick after brick is still fresh in my mind. I feel he killed our momentum and is why we lost that game.

Im not seeing a lot of passinf/playmaking coming from him. Sure if he is knocking down 4-6 from 3pt range and hitting over 50% from field then it doesnt matter if he is a black hole. But im a little concerned he is too trigger happy and if he isnt hitting shots at an above average rate then he kills the ball movement and takes shots away from buddy.

Hopefully we get a lot more like last night though because he is our starting 3 going forward. Do like his defense of course.

If Shump continues to play like last night, he will definitely take the Veteran leadership role vacated after Temple was traded.

Shump will probably start at SF until Bogdan gets back. Once Bogdan gets back, either Shump or Bogdan goes to the bench.

The nice thing is, if Shump plays well as a SF/SG swingman, he is young enough where he can be re-signed and grow with the young core.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Shump doesn’t make his shot like last night every game. If he develops restraint to move the ball when it isn’t falling... sure. But dude loves to shoot that ball. Lol

He reminds me some of Matt Barnes when he was here not to long ago where he had monster impact games but also games where he killed the team. I do think he's better than Barnes and no where near as voliatile but if the guy puts in effort the way he does you really can't hate on him.

Consistency is key. He is an unrestricted free agent in the summer so it's all on him to prove.

He has started the season well but has to lock himself in the gym and ensure that long ball becomes a strong weapon for him.

Do that and he and Willie can plan their payday spending

Consistency is key. He is an unrestricted free agent in the summer so it's all on him to prove.

He has started the season well but has to lock himself in the gym and ensure that long ball becomes a strong weapon for him.

Do that and he and Willie can plan their payday spending
Well i mean, this is unsustainable how well he's playing right now.... His shooting %'s are insane across the board..

58% from the field, 53% from 3 (on 4.8 attempts per) and 86% from the stripe.

Shumpert is a streak shooter something like Temple. He has great nights, and nights when he can't hit a thing. He is a frustating player to watch. His defense is still above average. I don't like his loose style of ball handling. He has plenty of experience.

I bet Shumpert is happy not being with the 0 and 6 Cavs who just fired Lue, like what does Cleveland expect, and I wonder if George Hill still views that trade as a dream come true. Meanwhile we are actually looking pretty good.
About time they got a real coach and not just a figurehead doing whatever LBJ wants

When the trade went down did the kings take a chance on Shumpert being a serviceable SF?

Can the kings run a fast pace offense and go small at the SF position?

Did the kings think that with Jackson, Shumpert and Bogdan they have what they need?

Can the kings get value for him along with some others at the trade deadline if the continue to play decent?
I dont buy that the kings think of Bogdon as a small forward. I also dont buy that the kings have made much distinction between sf and sg, given that shump isnt really even a sf.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I dont buy that the kings think of Bogdon as a small forward. I also dont buy that the kings have made much distinction between sf and sg, given that shump isnt really even a sf.
Vivek was widely criticized and ridiculed when he used the term "positionless basketball." I suspect something like what we're seeing now is what he had envisioned.

Shump has filled the void left by Temple well in that he is a solid 3 & D player who is a good presence. End of the day our vets are more or less; Shump, Bjelica, Bogdan, Koufos

Yeah you can argue about Bogdans status there but his career speaks for itself and he is a leader and vet to this team.

Provided they all continue to play within themselves and our youth continues to shine all will be well.

Shump will have games where his shot wont fall, so long as he plays within the system and prioritizes defense, he will continue to add value. With the upswing of our offense, we dont have an immense need for him to light it up. He appears to understand his role and is enjoying himself, that is promising as noted by others, he isnt that old and could be a good part of our future if the numbers bounce the right way.

I was hopeful he could be healthy and knew he had a reputation for being a decent defender and can bring the ball up if he needs to.
I believe they saw that in wanting him in the trade.

The way we are running our offense he does not have to force as many shots as he does and if he can control a lot of his bad shot decisions I can live with his hot and cold streaks.

Shumpert brings experience. He looks like an NBA player. His defense is very disruptive. He can run and rebound. His shooting is streaky. I have started to really like watching him play.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Injury Report: Kings at Magic

Posted: Oct 30, 2018
Bogdan Bogdanovic (left knee procedure recovery) and Iman Shumpert (load management) are listed as OUT for tonight's game in Orlando. Additionally, De'Aaron Fox (strained lower back) is listed as QUESTIONABLE.