LaMarcus Aldridge?

There is no player on our roster, that the Blazers need. No chance to aquire Aldridge, who would be a great fit offensively next to Cousins, cause he is the best mid-range Big in the league right now.

trade would have to involve Cousins for the Blazers to do it
Yes I would think so too. Perhaps a better question would be (PURELY for the sake of discussion): Given Cousins current status (no extension, immaturity concerns), would you trade him for Aldridge? For the record, I would vote no

Nah! It just can't work! Just like cannot have two 20 ppg scorers in the backcourt, you can't have them in frontcourt either!

What is needed next to Cousins is a defensive role player who will rebound, defend and not consume more shots. Serge Ibaka type or a better defending and a shot blocking version of our own Jason Thompson!

In ideal world with Cousins as a centrepiece, the other scoring options should come from either PG or SG and SF. The other two positions would have to be defensive role player types and the role playing guard should be a good spot up 3 point shooter.

Nah! It just can't work! Just like cannot have two 20 ppg scorers in the backcourt, you can't have them in frontcourt either!

What is needed next to Cousins is a defensive role player who will rebound, defend and not consume more shots. Serge Ibaka type or a better defending and a shot blocking version of our own Jason Thompson!

In ideal world with Cousins as a centrepiece, the other scoring options should come from either PG or SG and SF. The other two positions would have to be defensive role player types and the role playing guard should be a good spot up 3 point shooter.
Co-signed.

Yes I would think so too. Perhaps a better question would be (PURELY for the sake of discussion): Given Cousins current status (no extension, immaturity concerns), would you trade him for Aldridge? For the record, I would vote no
I think Vivek and PDA will do such given the opportunity.

If Evans didn't fit into their plans of building a roster with high character players, I don't see any reason why they won't go for Aldridge at the expense of Cousins.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You are correct. Cousins, Thornton, Hayes for Aldrige and Matthews would work. Our rebounding might suffer a little.
Yeah, no... We've made the commitment to build the team around Cousins. I cannot imagine how trading him away at this point would do anything positive for the future.

I think Vivek and PDA will do such given the opportunity.

If Evans didn't fit into their plans of building a roster with high character players, I don't see any reason why they won't go for Aldridge at the expense of Cousins.
mainly because these kinds of moves don't happen anymore. players of the calibres of Aldridge or Cousins don't get traded for each other. rebuilding packages centered around draft picks and young talent? sure. but trading those two guys would be too lateral a move to make sense for anybody.

Randolph and Gasol work extremely well as a frontcourt pairing and can both score 20 points if given the opportunity. There are many options to design a winning team outside of the most common setup. Success comes from flexibilty and creativity and not from repeating the same scheme over and over.
If Cousins and Aldridge would be willing to share shot attempts it would give you the most flexible offensive frontcourt of the NBA, cause both can score from inside and mid-range and create their shots via drives and post-ups. The defense would be something to worry about though, but Cousins is not even close to his defensive potential and Aldridge is not a too bad defender. Could work, but is a game of make-believe, cause the Blazers wont trade Aldridge for mediocre role-players.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
If the rumors are to be believed, trade discussions are being driven due to Aldridge's desire to leave Portland for a bigger market. That would seem to make any notion of the Kings trading for him a non-starter.

If the rumors are to be believed, trade discussions are being driven due to Aldridge's desire to leave Portland for a bigger market. That would seem to make any notion of the Kings trading for him a non-starter.
I was thinking why would he request a trade from Portland to come to Sacramento other than something personal/financial going on behind the scenes in Portland? I probably wouldn't want him for what it would take it land him

Last edited:
Yea, any LMA deal starts with Cousins. And While Im a huge LMA fan, he's not a guy who can go win you a title. Not saying Cousins can and/or will, but we still have that potential and surprise factor with him. LMA is pretty much tapped out as a fringe-all star player each year.