Kings trade rumor SZN 2023-2024 edition!

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Having spent the entirety of the last "dark ages" in Portland I would be happy with a team that makes the playoffs most years and has a WCF run or two in them. Yes, the goal is always championships and the NBA isn't the EPL or similar association football scenario where there are only 4 teams that will ever win again. But at the end of the day I am paying a few times a year to be entertained and so I just want to go to a game and hope we blow the friggin doors off our opponents without any thought about "we could be better if we suck for a while" again.

Maybe that's my hottest take.

Yes I would love to see the Kings host a victory parade in Sacramento but in 40 years that's been a possibility maybe 2 years? Let's just have 7 straight seasons of joy.

Kind of. Murray and Ellis can and will get better. Fox and Sabonis are already 26 and 27. They probably can't play much better than they are now?

The thing is though... I've been watching the Celtics, Nuggets, Timberpuppies, Mavericks and Thunder playoff matches. The Kings need to cover some distance just to reach their level, then go some distance more to overtake them. And I just don't know where or how the improvement is going to come from, that will be needed to beat them all next season.

The Kings definitely need a trade to improve on Barnes. Guess we will have to see if Monte can pull something out of his hat.
Remember though, next season, Murray and Ellis will be 24 and 25 respectively. They qualify as less experienced, not young.

Barnes for Lonzo straight up.
Better yet, how about Huerter, Duarte, and Barnes for Ben Simmons? If you're going to gamble better to gamble with someone supposedly on a path to play next season. Even if it didn't work, that's a huge chunk of dough off of Monte's books and that could set Monte up for legit cap space in 2025 instead of holding out until 2026. Simmons isn't a great fit on the surface but Brown was clear he wanted this team to run more and Simmons is one of the best rebound and run options when healthy or even semi-healthy.

Having spent the entirety of the last "dark ages" in Portland I would be happy with a team that makes the playoffs most years and has a WCF run or two in them. Yes, the goal is always championships and the NBA isn't the EPL or similar association football scenario where there are only 4 teams that will ever win again. But at the end of the day I am paying a few times a year to be entertained and so I just want to go to a game and hope we blow the friggin doors off our opponents without any thought about "we could be better if we suck for a while" again.

Maybe that's my hottest take.

Yes I would love to see the Kings host a victory parade in Sacramento but in 40 years that's been a possibility maybe 2 years? Let's just have 7 straight seasons of joy.
The Kings winning a championship will have zero impact on my quality of life and minimal impact on my engagement with sites like this or the NBA in general. I like supporting the team and its players and like watching them have a crack. That's it.

Better yet, how about Huerter, Duarte, and Barnes for Ben Simmons? If you're going to gamble better to gamble with someone supposedly on a path to play next season. Even if it didn't work, that's a huge chunk of dough off of Monte's books and that could set Monte up for legit cap space in 2025 instead of holding out until 2026. Simmons isn't a great fit on the surface but Brown was clear he wanted this team to run more and Simmons is one of the best rebound and run options when healthy or even semi-healthy.
Although I don’t think BKN would do that deal because they are wanting to keep their 2025 cap space, the idea is similar to one I posted awhile back. See below…

I’d like to start off by saying that by no means do I want to lose Monk in FA. But if we do lose Monk in FA, I don’t think it’s the end of the world looking at our cap situation.

If Monk walks in the 2024 off-season, I’d only sign contracts that can expire in the 2025 off-season. I’d also immediately look to trade Huerter and Barnes for contracts that expire in 2025 (while hopefully getting some assets back if possible). That might result in us taking a step back in the 2024-25 season considering Monk, Huerter, and Barnes would no longer be on the roster, but since our 1st will most likely convey to ATL in 2024, we’d at least get to keep this more attractive 2025 1st and add another young, cheap asset to a core of Fox, Sabonis, Murray, Ellis, and Jones.

This would leave us with ~$43-45 mil in cap space during the 2025 off-season (a 0-6 year max would start at $38.8 mil and a 7-9 year max would start at $46.3 mil) to add another significant piece to this core. Ideally, you’re targeting a SF/PF with that cap since your starting lineup could be Fox - Ellis/Jones - Murray - ??? - Sabonis. Below is a list of the SFs and PFs that would be free agents during the 2025 off-season…
  • Brandon Ingram (UFA)
  • Lauri Markkanen (UFA)
  • Jonathan Isaac (UFA)
  • Scottie Barnes (RFA)
  • Jalen Johnson (RFA)
  • Trey Murphy (RFA)
  • Franz Wagner (RFA)
  • Jonathan Kuminga (RFA)
  • Evan Mobley (RFA)
  • Matisse Thybulle (PO)
  • Jimmy Butler (PO)
  • Khris Middleton (PO)
  • Jayson Tatum (PO)
  • John Collins (PO)
  • Dorian Finney-Smith (PO)
  • Aaron Gordon (PO)
  • Julius Randle (PO)
  • Bobby Portis (PO)
  • Naz Reid (PO)
That’s a lot of talented forwards to choose from and could be a good way of retooling this team in the off chance that Monk walks.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
fanspo-nba-trade-machine-snap_5-6-2024_11-04-54PM.png
If we’re looking to replace HB, this is what I’d try to go for. That Portland 2nd rounder is probably going to be as valuable as a first round pick seeing as how it’s probably going to wind up being 31st/32nd/33rd overall AND the player drafted there is going to be cheaper than anyone drafted in the first round contract-wise. Cody Martin at this point is mostly just included because I need to salary to match but it’s doable with other players as well.

Pretending that everything plays out like in Vecenie’s latest mock draft pod (Malik walks but we immediately draft his replacement because Rob Dillingham falls to us at 12), we’d walk into the season with

Sabonis/(Len back on a vet minimum)
Williams/Lyles/Sasha
Keegan/Kevin/Martin
Keon/Dillingham/Kevin/Colby
Fox/Davion/
plus the MLE and BAE to fill in the roster with a couple more pieces. Not exactly the sexiest summer and we’d still probably need one more offensive piece seeing as our roster would suddenly be like 70% three-and-d guys but it would build off of the defensive identity we found at the end of the season while continuing down the “Keegan is our third star” path.

View attachment 12628
If we’re looking to replace HB, this is what I’d try to go for. That Portland 2nd rounder is probably going to be as valuable as a first round pick seeing as how it’s probably going to wind up being 31st/32nd/33rd overall AND the player drafted there is going to be cheaper than anyone drafted in the first round contract-wise. Cody Martin at this point is mostly just included because I need to salary to match but it’s doable with other players as well.

Pretending that everything plays out like in Vecenie’s latest mock draft pod (Malik walks but we immediately draft his replacement because Rob Dillingham falls to us at 12), we’d walk into the season with

Williams/Lyles/Sasha
Keegan/Kevin/Martin
Fox/Davion/
plus the MLE and BAE to fill in the roster with a couple more pieces. Not exactly the sexiest summer and we’d still probably need one more offensive piece seeing as our roster would suddenly be like 70% three-and-d guys but it would build off of the defensive identity we found at the end of the season while continuing down the “Keegan is our third star” path.
Grant Williams is a good target, but I think that the Hornets would be more interested in Kevin Huerter than Harrison Barnes in this trade scenario. Charlotte likely resigns Bridges to a big contract, so HB would be redundant. They need a shooter.

Last edited:
I do not think 6'6" Grant Williams is a good fit at PF next to Sabonis.

He could be okay as 6th-10th in the rotation but not as a starter.

Someone in the Mobley, Jabari Smith Jr, Taylor Hendricks mould would be more ideal.

That being said, I'd be down with Mikal Bridges at SF and using Keegan at PF... so it's not just about height.

View attachment 12628

Williams/Lyles/Sasha
Keegan/Kevin/Martin
Fox/Davion/
I would be 50/50 on it because Williams is such a good fit on paper but if the Kings made a slight leap this last season I'd be more down with it however on paper this team doesn't looking to be going anywhere by adding role guys. The more this last season settles, the more it sure looks like Monte needs to keep his cap fluid for 2026 at the very least IMO. The defensive potential and physicality is hard to pass on though. Williams would bring that exact need Brown was harping on all season.

I do not think 6'6" Grant Williams is a good fit at PF next to Sabonis.

He could be okay as 6th-10th in the rotation but not as a starter.

Someone in the Mobley, Jabari Smith Jr, Taylor Hendricks mould would be more ideal.

That being said, I'd be down with Mikal Bridges at SF and using Keegan at PF... so it's not just about height.
I don't know, I think he's actually pretty bang on a great fit. Big, rough, physical, can spot shoot.

I would be 50/50 on it because Williams is such a good fit on paper but if the Kings made a slight leap this last season I'd be more down with it however on paper this team doesn't looking to be going anywhere by adding role guys. The more this last season settles, the more it sure looks like Monte needs to keep his cap fluid for 2026 at the very least IMO. The defensive potential and physicality is hard to pass on though. Williams would bring that exact need Brown was harping on all season.
I don't agree with this AT ALL

Look at the leap we took on defense, just by Davion and Keon being consistent role players and being good enough on offense to justify keeping them on the floor. Now, add Grant Williams, a significant defensive upgrade over HB.

You consistently underate Monks impact, which is fine, but this season is entirely different if he's not hurt to close the year. We added the defensive horses, but lost one of our offensive staples. 2, actually, with Huerter.

I don't agree with this AT ALL

Look at the leap we took on defense, just by Davion and Keon being consistent role players and being good enough on offense to justify keeping them on the floor. Now, add Grant Williams, a significant defensive upgrade over HB.

You consistently underate Monks impact, which is fine, but this season is entirely different if he's not hurt to close the year. We added the defensive horses, but lost one of our offensive staples. 2, actually, with Huerter.
Entirely different? Perhaps, but not likely. The Kings were pretty consistent from January on, and thinking anything else is completely ignoring the ACTUAL results. Monk had impact, but his actual effectiveness was marginal according to most advanced stats that mean anything. The goal should be Monk coming back AND something of impact. If not, time to think about the future. The Kings were hovering around 6-9 all year WITH Monk. The Kings were only a 50 win pace team up until the end of December after that it was 42-44. If the goal is about contending Monte has more evidence at the moment to suggest that his apparent attempts to upgrade his roster were well warranted than not.

Late night trade idea

Kings trade Davion + KVon
Raptors trade Bruce Brown

Why for the kings? Upgrade wing defense with a guy who does enough on offense and brings championship experience.
why for the raptors? They prefer getting players back and got close to trading Siakam to us for some combo of our role players. Pretty good haul for an expiring deal.

kings trade #13, Duarte and Sasha to Blazers
Blazers trade Brogdan to Bucks
Bucks trade Portis to kings Pat C to Blazers

why for Kings- add much needed size and toughness
Why for Blazers? They get a lottery pick for Brogdan, might be able to flip Sasha and Pat C for a small return
Why for Bucks? Brogdan comes full circle. Gives them much needed perimeter defense next to Dame, shooting and secondary ball handling.

Fox Monk
Brown Ellis
Keegan HB
Portis Lyles
Sabonis Len

we keep all our future assets, give Keegan another year to grow and get much better defensively. Sorry if I traded your favorite player or I didn’t trade your least favorite. Davion had a nice end to the season, Kevs a good player and Sasha needs a real chance. Just spitballing

Late night trade idea

Why for the kings? Upgrade wing defense with a guy who does enough on offense and brings championship experience.
why for the raptors? They prefer getting players back and got close to trading Siakam to us for some combo of our role players. Pretty good haul for an expiring deal.

Why for Blazers? They get a lottery pick for Brogdan, might be able to flip Sasha and Pat C for a small return
Why for Bucks? Brogdan comes full circle. Gives them much needed perimeter defense next to Dame, shooting and secondary ball handling.

Fox Monk
Brown Ellis
Keegan HB
Portis Lyles
Sabonis Len

we keep all our future assets, give Keegan another year to grow and get much better defensively. Sorry if I traded your favorite player or I didn’t trade your least favorite. Davion had a nice end to the season, Kevs a good player and Sasha needs a real chance. Just spitballing
Amazing trade for both teams. I dont think he is part of their rebuild, and his defense alone is worth it. Monte needs to make this happen!

Late night trade idea

Fox Monk
Brown Ellis
Keegan HB
Portis Lyles
Sabonis Len

That would be a fun team to root for. I’d probably keep Keon in the starting lineup and let BB come in off the bench. Leaves room for Colby Jones to develop as well.

Late night trade idea

Fox Monk
Brown Ellis
Keegan HB
Portis Lyles
Sabonis Len

I don't think you need Davion and huerter for bb. Huerter should be more than plenty.

Not a huge fan of the 2nd deal. I like Portis. But I d rather just keep 13 and swing for a home run. Portis isn't a real needle mover type piece.

Not a huge fan of the 2nd deal. I like Portis. But I d rather just keep 13 and swing for a home run. Portis isn't a real needle mover type piece.
I think it depends. Monte probably either needs to believe in his core (Fox, Sabonis, Keegan) and build complimentary pieces around them or determine the top end talent is not good enough and move Keegan and picks for a star (one might guess I don’t love this option). These two trades allow us to get better right away while giving us all the flexibility to make a bigger move if needed.

I like several players in this draft and have started to lean pretty heavily in the direction of either Devin Carter or Jaylon Tyson if we keep the pick but I’m also open to trading it for proven role players.

Last edited:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think you need Davion and huerter for bb. Huerter should be more than plenty.

I'm not sure the Bucks do that to Portis given that he gave them a hometown discount to stay in Milwaukee and is a good fit for them.

But moreover, Bruce Brown wasn't very good in Toronto this season. I think the Raptors pick up his option just to avoid losing an asset, but I don't think he's worth Huerter AND Mitchell. And I absolutely wouldn't start him over Keon.

One thing to be cognizant of with the potential of losing Monk - the Kings should definitely try to upgrade from HB, but at a certain point if Keegan is their only real movement/off ball shooter then you're losing a lot of what made this team good in the first place. Unless it's a clear upgrade (or Sasha suddenly starts playing and contributing at a high level) I'd be hesitant to just cast off Huerter. At the very least he could be a key bench piece next season at the 2/3.

I'm not sure the Bucks do that to Portis given that he gave them a hometown discount to stay in Milwaukee and is a good fit for them.

But moreover, Bruce Brown wasn't very good in Toronto this season. I think the Raptors pick up his option just to avoid losing an asset, but I don't think he's worth Huerter AND Mitchell. And I absolutely wouldn't start him over Keon.

One thing to be cognizant of with the potential of losing Monk - the Kings should definitely try to upgrade from HB, but at a certain point if Keegan is their only real movement/off ball shooter then you're losing a lot of what made this team good in the first place. Unless it's a clear upgrade (or Sasha suddenly starts playing and contributing at a high level) I'd be hesitant to just cast off Huerter. At the very least he could be a key bench piece next season at the 2/3.
I don’t think you can use Brown’s time in Toronto as evidence of what kind of impact he could make on a good team. They openly tried to trade him and then tanked the rest of the season. He was an elite role player in Denver and would be playing with a similar player in Domas here.

The real plus with Brown though is he would be a fit guy and take a big chunk of money off of Monte's books for 2025. Yeah, I don't see the Bucks moving Portis either though.

Last edited:
I think it depends. Monte probably either needs to believe in his core (Fox, Sabonis, Keegan) and build complimentary pieces around them or determine the top end talent is not good enough and move Keegan and picks for a star (one might guess I don’t love this option). These two trades allow us to get better right away while giving us all the flexibility to make a bigger move if needed.

I like several players in this draft and have started to lean pretty heavily in the direction of either Devin Carter or Jaylon Tyson if we keep the pick but I’m also open to trading it for proven role players.
Are the Kings a Bruce Brown and Bobby Portis away from anything? Portis is productive and has some nice turn around type moves but it's a gamble because this is still a team basically reliant on Fox getting this team 30 a night. Maybe not since the defense is better but it's better to be safe than sorry about that. The upside to those two is this is indeed a new league possibly. Where you need to have some physical capabilities. The days of softy guard ball appear to be fading faster and faster. The only thing standing in the way is this new roster would be MUCH slower. Keegan isn't the fastest guy offensively by any stretch and now you have Portis next to him. Doesn't sound like what Mike Brown wants when it comes to running the floor or attacking in the half court.

Are the Kings a Bruce Brown and Bobby Portis away from anything? Portis is productive and has some nice turn around type moves but it's a gamble because this is still a team basically reliant on Fox getting this team 30 a night. Maybe not since the defense is better but it's better to be safe than sorry about that. The upside to those two is this is indeed a new league possibly. Where you need to have some physical capabilities. The days of softy guard ball appear to be fading faster and faster. The only thing standing in the way is this new roster would be MUCH slower. Keegan isn't the fastest guy offensively by any stretch and now you have Portis next to him. Doesn't sound like what Mike Brown wants when it comes to running the floor or attacking in the half court.
Yeh I’m really not sure. I think we are a team hovering around 50 wins just like a lot of the teams in the West and that at least gives you a chance. I think I like the deals because you still retain all your future picks and you can pivot if need be. If we are a top 8 defense next year and we can tweak the offense some to get back into the top ten you have a legit shot.

Portis is not my ideal 4 for this team. But he checks a lot of boxes. The Kings need an enforcer - somebody who stirs the pot. They are still too nice. Portis would give them that and not totally screw up the spacing on offense.

Late night trade idea

Fox Monk
Brown Ellis
Keegan HB
Portis Lyles
Sabonis Len

I’m not overly opposed to the first trade although Mitchell’s 2nd half performance makes me feel like we’re losing that trade from a value perspective but I can rationalize the general idea/goal.

I really don’t like the 2nd trade. I like Portis and think he’s a solid fit next to Sabonis but Portis has a player option for the following year. There’s a very real possibility that we trade #13 for Portis and he walks next offseason.

And I’m not necessarily opposed to trading #13 for an expiring with the hopes of resigning that player, but Portis isn’t the level of player I’d be willing to take that risk.

I’m not overly opposed to the first trade although Mitchell’s 2nd half performance makes me feel like we’re losing that trade from a value perspective but I can rationalize the general idea/goal.

I really don’t like the 2nd trade. I like Portis and think he’s a solid fit next to Sabonis but Portis has a player option for the following year. There’s a very real possibility that we trade #13 for Portis and he walks next offseason.

And I’m not necessarily opposed to trading #13 for an expiring with the hopes of resigning that player, but Portis isn’t the level of player I’d be willing to take that risk.
if I’m reading the CBA right he is eligible for an extension. The nba year ends June 30th so we could make the the trade contingent on an extension being worked out.

Portis is not my ideal 4 for this team. But he checks a lot of boxes. The Kings need an enforcer - somebody who stirs the pot. They are still too nice. Portis would give them that and not totally screw up the spacing on offense.
You want somebody to stir the pot. The Kings should get Isaiah Stewart like I’ve been wanting them to.

He averages a fight per week. A lot of untapped potential there as well.

As physically strong as anybody in the league. Can block shots. Rebound. Shoot the three. Hold his own on switches and has a 7 foot 4 wing span.

He’s also on a multi year deal but might be available as he hasn’t really reached his potential and Detroit is going with Duren and may end up drafting another forward or big in the draft.

Stewart is one of the few guys in the league that I think will be guarding guys like Giannis and Zion as good as anybody. He can also play with Domas.

Kings should aim to get him with expiring and future second rounders before somebody else gets him for peanuts or he has a breakout season. I view him similar to PJ Washington(who I also wanted) to where once gets a defined role he will become a high impact role player on both ends

I don’t want teammate puncher Bobby Portis. Let’s get a guy that punches the other team instead

Last edited:
I’d trade the 13th pick for Beef Stew straight up if the Kings could extend him on a reasonable deal.

Jerry Reynolds thinks Jalen Smith on the Pacers could be a good one to swing for as well.

There are definitely some dudes in the League that just need a steady role and opportunity to blossom. Let’s hope the Kings find one or two this offseason.

I’d trade the 13th pick for Beef Stew straight up if the Kings could extend him on a reasonable deal.

Jerry Reynolds thinks Jalen Smith on the Pacers could be a good one to swing for as well.

There are definitely some dudes in the League that just need a steady role and opportunity to blossom. Let’s hope the Kings find one or two this offseason.
Beef Stew is already signed to a a pretty reasonable 4 year extension that begins next season. 15 per with a team option for the 4th. So he’s locked down for more than he’s worth given the makeup and direction of Detroits team and his role…but that can turn into very good value here.

I would trade 13 and some expirings for him as well. Be it HB..or the pick with one of a Duarte, Davion or Trey. Though I’m assuming teams that already have one pick in this first round aren’t desperate to add another.

Jalen Smith would be an interesting one as well.