Kings still looking for a head athletic trainer.

pdxKingsFan

Hall of Famer
Same question but in reverse: Was Pete extraordinarily good at his job that there is any reason to doubt the Kings had good reason to let him go? While things may have moved on from "this franchise is cursed" of the 80s and 90s I'd never heard it suggested that the Kings were revolutionizing sports medicine or PT, or that we had fewer than average injuries. He left before Bagley arrived, right? Is that supposed to be the big point in his favor? That his injury woes wouldn't have happened on his watch?

Same question but in reverse: Was Pete extraordinarily good at his job that there is any reason to doubt the Kings had good reason to let him go? While things may have moved on from "this franchise is cursed" of the 80s and 90s I'd never heard it suggested that the Kings were revolutionizing sports medicine or PT, or that we had fewer than average injuries. He left before Bagley arrived, right? Is that supposed to be the big point in his favor? That his injury woes wouldn't have happened on his watch?
His injury woes never would have happened if he was on Pete's watch.

Murray wouldn't be having wrist surgery.

Covid wouldn't exist.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
He also had a penchant for occasionally misdiagnosing injuries and guys always seemed to pull their hammies around him. Also this is probably 99.9% not his fault but Cisco had his exercise ball mishap under Youngman's watch. I guess the idea is that there was more clarity about injury situations back when Pete was in charge but social media injury updates weren't really a thing for the first 20 years of his tenure and the Kings were an absolute mess beyond injury reporting for the last part of his time with the team so it's really hard to tell what would be different had he stayed on. (FWIW, Marvin also got injured during his stint in Detroit last season so that might be more of a Marvin thing than a Kings thing)

The guy seems to be happy working for the G-League Ignite but I'm not sure how much of a difference having him has made in that program as opposed to the continual stream of top draft prospects signing up to play every year.

He also had a penchant for occasionally misdiagnosing injuries and guys always seemed to pull their hammies around him. Also this is probably 99.9% not his fault but Cisco had his exercise ball mishap under Youngman's watch. I guess the idea is that there was more clarity about injury situations back when Pete was in charge but social media injury updates weren't really a thing for the first 20 years of his tenure and the Kings were an absolute mess beyond injury reporting for the last part of his time with the team so it's really hard to tell what would be different had he stayed on. (FWIW, Marvin also got injured during his stint in Detroit last season so that might be more of a Marvin thing than a Kings thing)

The guy seems to be happy working for the G-League Ignite but I'm not sure how much of a difference having him has made in that program as opposed to the continual stream of top draft prospects signing up to play every year.
See I did feel like he was there when thing were really bad but wanted to give some benefit of the doubt. It seems a lot of people like him because he is accessible but being likeable doesn't always translate into being good and often creates serious conflict of interest situations in giving fair performance reviews.