Kings searching for new leader following departure of Garrett Temple

N

NBC Sports BayArea

The Sacramento Kings made a move over the summer that may have changed the entire culture of their team. Inside the walls of the locker room and on the floor of the Golden 1 Center, Temple was the voice of the team.

Continue reading...

Its ok, I think the players know this womt be a playoff season. Im guessing they see this as a "we got nothing to lose, lets just get better" type season

dude12

Hall of Famer
I don’t know if that is true....regarding the article headline. Besides Temple, Carter was also a leader. I get that they are gone but I believe it’s Giles right now and once the season starts and they start going through the trials and tribulations of the season, Giles will solidify his leadership. So, yeah, I guess we may not have those vet types anymore but that’s ok, it’s time for the young guns to learn to do it themselves now.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I don’t know if that is true....regarding the article headline. Besides Temple, Carter was also a leader. I get that they are gone but I believe it’s Giles right now and once the season starts and they start going through the trials and tribulations of the season, Giles will solidify his leadership. So, yeah, I guess we may not have those vet types anymore but that’s ok, it’s time for the young guns to learn to do it themselves now.
Kosta is by all accounts a great guy and Shump seems to have settled into whatever role he's going to have on the team. I mean, it's not Vince Carter and his twenty seasons of NBA experience but it's not John Salmons and Chuck Hayes.

As a rule, 20 year olds don't make great team leaders. There's a reason vets tend to be team leaders. It's not just experience, it's maturity. It's way too much to expect for a first or second year player in the league, particularly when they have something to prove individually.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I would not rule out Bogey as a potential leader for the team. Is Twitter handle leader of the horde is not simply reference to his scoring but rather stealth play that brings teams together. Is quiet enough that it's hard to get a bead on his personality but if he's as generous and congenial off the court as he appears on the court he could be the type of Personality much like Vlade Divac was that brings the guys together. I could be wrong of course but one thing we know about studying leadership and group dynamics is that a leader always emerges the question will be their qualities.

Fox or bust. This whole thing begins and ends with who/what he can be
This is kinda my thought too. He's the PG. He's not a rookie anymore. He's bright, articulate, and seemingly wise beyond his years. He also doesn't seem to be one content with mediocrity.

While Bogs and Giles certainly could become that guy, I think FOX has got to be the #1 contender for the role in the longterm.

The Kings really miss Bogdan.
Fox has the potential to grow into the role. So does Buddy, maybe Harry.
Right now the Kings need the steadiness and leadership of guys like Koufus and maybe even some Randolph.