[Game] Kings @ OKC Thunder- 4/9/2024 - 5:00PM PDT/8:00PM EDT

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, I don't think they would have pursued and signed him, if they had it to do over. We'll see how they handle it next season
Monte clearly thought that moving both Barnes and Huerter back in the pecking order wouldn't have hurt as much as it did, but it did. He knows what value is now without question.

Provide evidence to support what you say. Because it’s a lot of unsubstantiated nonsense.

I mean, I can play that same game by suggesting the same exact thing about SGA, #77, Embiid, Tatum, Lillard, Ja, or any other player that hasn’t ever won jack. I can even make a cogent argument about KD who didn’t win $#/t until joining forces with an already proven champion.

At one time people like you said the same about Giannis, until he finally won a title.

So, in all seriousness, what’s your justification for making such a claim about De’Aaron? Because he‘s spent most of his career to this point playing for what was once a dysfunctional franchise? The kid is only in year 2 of this organization (and team) finally getting it’s act together. But you wanna place all the blame on him?

You think the state of this team having yet to win a playoff series would be any different had you swapped De’Aaron with SGA, Jimmy Butler, Ja Morant, or Anthony Edwards? Give me a break.

This team still didn’t qualify for the postseason when they had the great Tyrese Haliburton on the squad for nearly 2 seasons. And when they did break the 16-season drought it was largely on the back of the “clutch player of the year” closing out games for them in final minutes.

I got news for you. EVERY player needs complimentary talent around them and can’t do it by themselves or even largely by themselves. It’s hard to put the right pieces together. Which is precisely why most players come into the league and play 10-15 years and leave w/o being part of championship. De’Aaron is no different in that regard.

KD is supposed to be an all-time great. But couldn’t win with other all-star talent until joining a proven title winner. LBJ is supposed to be the 2nd coming of Michael Jordan, yet he couldn’t win until joining forces with another former champion and another all-star. Why? I mean, those guys are otherworldly more talented than De’Aaron, right?

If De’Aaron began his career playing for the Nuggets or Celtics or some other perennial 50-win team that goes deep into the postseason without actually winning a title — he’d still be the same player he is now except that you wouldn’t be able to cite lack of postseason success against him.

It’s just a bunch of smoke-filled coffee house crap!
And that's Monte's task. Where does that next player come from? He's trying, but the league jumping up a level might've made that task a little harder. I think he's one guy away. Keon and Keegan by themselves make this a stones throw.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
If Colby makes a Keon leap next year all we need is an athletic dunkalicious shot blocking 4 6'11 or taller who can hit >37% from three.

And that's Monte's task. Where does that next player come from? He's trying, but the league jumping up a level might've made that task a little harder. I think he's one guy away. Keon and Keegan by themselves make this a stones throw.
If he decides to take a big swing in trade, who do you think he might be willing to let go of who has a lot of value?

I'm blaming Brown for Sasha too. And I'm not even a fan yet. I want to be, but I can't see him play enough. Point is why even sign this guy I'd we not going to play him? He's not a rookie. 21 year old earn they PT. He's 28 with plenty of game film to see what he can and can't do.

Again Mike brown flew in to see the guy dam near begged him to come, now he needs to wait? Make it make sense
Sasha can't "go get a bucket", that's why. He's a system player.

The Kings aren't physical enough down low to allow for a perimeter/slash oriented player like Sasha to operate more than 10 mins per game, if even that, if he doesn't contribute more such as on the defensive end and rebounding.

I do think Sasha offers a good amount of rebounding and decent wing defense. I just don't think he has out performed Lyles and Len to take those minutes.

Playoffs or not, this team looks like the weakest team in the West. At least for teams like the Warriors or Lakers, you can say they have all-time greats with Curry and LeBron... not sure what you can say for this team except that we rely on Fox to play at an MVP level to have any chance at winning our games. Sabonis is great, but he's not the difference between a W and L like Fox is.

If he decides to take a big swing in trade, who do you think he might be willing to let go of who has a lot of value?
I'm not so sure that a Jerami Grant or a Mikal Bridges might not be enough and those are probably future picks kind of guys. I still think De'Andre Hunter is a great gamble guy as well. On paper they probably the aren't difference but if Keegan steps it up, Keon solidifies, that's the kind of thing that take you up a big level.

Provide evidence to support what you say. Because it’s a lot of unsubstantiated nonsense.

I mean, I can play that same game by suggesting the same exact thing about SGA, #77, Embiid, Tatum, Lillard, Ja, or any other player that hasn’t ever won jack. I can even make a cogent argument about KD who didn’t win $#/t until joining forces with an already proven champion.

At one time people like you said the same about Giannis, until he finally won a title.

So, in all seriousness, what’s your justification for making such a claim about De’Aaron? Because he‘s spent most of his career to this point playing for what was once a dysfunctional franchise? The kid is only in year 2 of this organization (and team) finally getting it’s act together. But you wanna place all the blame on him?

You think the state of this team having yet to win a playoff series would be any different had you swapped De’Aaron with SGA, Jimmy Butler, Ja Morant, or Anthony Edwards? Give me a break.

This team still didn’t qualify for the postseason when they had the great Tyrese Haliburton on the squad for nearly 2 seasons. And when they did break the 16-season drought it was largely on the back of the “clutch player of the year” closing out games for them in final minutes.

I got news for you. EVERY player needs complimentary talent around them and can’t do it by themselves or even largely by themselves. It’s hard to put the right pieces together. Which is precisely why most players come into the league and play 10-15 years and leave w/o being part of championship. De’Aaron is no different in that regard.

KD is supposed to be an all-time great. But couldn’t win with other all-star talent until joining a proven title winner. LBJ is supposed to be the 2nd coming of Michael Jordan, yet he couldn’t win until joining forces with another former champion and another all-star. Why? I mean, those guys are otherworldly more talented than De’Aaron, right?

If De’Aaron began his career playing for the Nuggets or Celtics or some other perennial 50-win team that goes deep into the postseason without actually winning a title — he’d still be the same player he is now except that you wouldn’t be able to cite lack of postseason success against him.

It’s just a bunch of smoke-filled coffee house crap!
Whatever. Didn’t read through your verbal diarrhea. I just offered you $1k to your charity of choice if we don’t make WCF in next 3 years. You want to take it or what?

Watched the match with delay and now read all 16 pages (is it a record for the past few months?) of the thread.

Domas was bad, 5 turnovers as well but 3 of them must have been offensive fouls (at least one of them was not a foul though), I will just give him credit that he didn't chase to extend the double double streak at the final minute. As others wrote Len should have stayed more on the floor. Barnes and Lyles shot 2/15 shots together, HB yeah went to the line but he was bad and the lineup will start with him on the floor for the next 4 games and the play in(s) that will follow hopefully the play offs and so on. There was time that the ball was in front or below of him but not once he will jump/collide with an opponent or drop to the floor to catch it, too tired from biking I assume. Lyles was good in defense but missed several wide open 3s.

Kings had 8/11 3s to start the game and had 12/47 after that, still MB wanted more. For sure not all of them were good shots, there were some stepback 3s that didn't go in, there were a couple (by Fox and Keon in the 1st quarter) that we got lucky they went in, still I don't like these tactics, it's a Russian roulette, also we don't have many players shooting 40+ % from there, only Keon actually. Sasha and Kessler that shoot 38+ were benched the whole match. I don't know what should happen for those two to be part of the rotation, half the players should be ejected in a brawl fight? I mean Monk and Huerter are both out and they still get no chance, Barnes and Lyles had a subpar (to say the least) game, still they don't get to play. I am not here for Sasha but I see there are Kings fan (in fb groups) that are so critical against him, make fun of him, want to see him leave, when there are other players with guaranteed starting spot in every single match for 200+ games already that no matter what will happen they will be starters for the rest of their lives.

Many turnovers too, cheap ones, miscommunicating ones from Fox and Keon at the end in potential fast break situations. We barely touched the paint, ok we saw what happened with foul calls, but overall we shot with 34% of the field and were close of getting a win against an almost full squad of Oklahoma. A bit over a month ago Warriors was leading the league in losing matches that they were up by 15+ points, having 5, i am sure we overtook them and probably leading the league in losing the ones we were up by 20 or more. Will browse twitter to see if i can find something about this.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Yeah, he's one Doncic, Giannis, Embid, or Tatum away maybe. McNair has a long ways to go on this one. If he thinks he's one incremental piece away from being a championship contender then he'd be dreaming.

Playoffs or not, this team looks like the weakest team in the West. At least for teams like the Warriors or Lakers, you can say they have all-time greats with Curry and LeBron... not sure what you can say for this team except that we rely on Fox to play at an MVP level to have any chance at winning our games. Sabonis is great, but he's not the difference between a W and L like Fox is.
No they don't. The Pelicans do. The Kings are pretty close to putting it together. They are just young and dumb.

The Pelicans are sneaky and lazy.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
No they don't. The Pelicans do. The Kings are pretty close to putting it together. They are just young and dumb.

The Pelicans are sneaky and lazy.
Phoenix hasn't played up to their potential. Likely first round exit if they qualify for a team that was supposed to contend and mortgaged their future to do it.

LAL and Warriors are getting by on rep. Neither of them is an actual threat but sure they could get a handout to get out of the first round.

I imagine being a Pelicans fan is every bit as frustrating as being a Kings fan except they have gotten more lottery luck.

Watched the match with delay and now read all 16 pages (is it a record for the past few months?) of the thread.

Domas was bad, 5 turnovers as well but 3 of them must have been offensive fouls (at least one of them was not a foul though), I will just give him credit that he didn't chase to extend the double double streak at the final minute. As others wrote Len should have stayed more on the floor. Barnes and Lyles shot 2/15 shots together, HB yeah went to the line but he was bad and the lineup will start with him on the floor for the next 4 games and the play in(s) that will follow hopefully the play offs and so on. There was time that the ball was in front or below of him but not once he will jump/collide with an opponent or drop to the floor to catch it, too tired from biking I assume. Lyles was good in defense but missed several wide open 3s.

Kings had 8/11 3s to start the game and had 12/47 after that, still MB wanted more. For sure not all of them were good shots, there were some stepback 3s that didn't go in, there were a couple (by Fox and Keon in the 1st quarter) that we got lucky they went in, still I don't like these tactics, it's a Russian roulette, also we don't have many players shooting 40+ % from there, only Keon actually. Sasha and Kessler that shoot 38+ were benched the whole match. I don't know what should happen for those two to be part of the rotation, half the players should be ejected in a brawl fight? I mean Monk and Huerter are both out and they still get no chance, Barnes and Lyles had a subpar (to say the least) game, still they don't get to play. I am not here for Sasha but I see there are Kings fan (in fb groups) that are so critical against him, make fun of him, want to see him leave, when there are other players with guaranteed starting spot in every single match for 200+ games already that no matter what will happen they will be starters for the rest of their lives.

Many turnovers too, cheap ones, miscommunicating ones from Fox and Keon at the end in potential fast break situations. We barely touched the paint, ok we saw what happened with foul calls, but overall we shot with 34% of the field and were close of getting a win against an almost full squad of Oklahoma. A bit over a month ago Warriors was leading the league in losing matches that they were up by 15+ points, having 5, i am sure we overtook them and probably leading the league in losing the ones we were up by 20 or more. Will browse twitter to see if i can find something about this.
Sasha and Kessler need to be getting major minutes and Barnes should stay off the floor

Yeah, he's one Doncic, Giannis, Embid, or Tatum away maybe. McNair has a long ways to go on this one. If he thinks he's one incremental piece away from being a championship contender then he'd be dreaming.
The last time a team won a championship without a superstar was like 20 years ago? The 2004 Pistons, but they were a totally different type of team than the kings.

I guess it will come down to how murray will develop and whether the kings can get another all-star caliber player that fits like a glove next to fox and sabonis with competent offense and elite defense. It can happen, but still lots have to go right.

The second option is... kings fans will hate to hear this, but trading murray for that superstar could be an option if the opportunity presents itself.

Sasha has playoff experience and has won championships. I just don't understand why we are gearing up a rookie (coby) who we know will do absolutely nothing for us come playoff time.

If we face warriors in play in we won't be in playoffs. We can beat Lakers but not refs and Lakers. In other words we are screwed with a play in option

The last time a team won a championship without a superstar was like 20 years ago? The 2004 Pistons, but they were a totally different type of team than the kings.

I guess it will come down to how murray will develop and whether the kings can get another all-star caliber player that fits like a glove next to fox and sabonis with competent offense and elite defense. It can happen, but still lots have to go right.

The second option is... kings fans will hate to hear this, but trading murray for that superstar could be an option if the opportunity presents itself.
I don't see Murray ever being a Allstars. Not because he doesn't have the skills, but because he don't have the killer instinct. The FT numbers don't equate to the consistency it takes to be a Allstars in NBA . You gotta get to the line

Arguably 2014 Spurs. I think past his time but still good Duncan makes it super star-less. But it's still the Spurs.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I hear you. I love Fox and have spent more money on his jersey for my family and friends than anyone on this board. crap, I was a fan during his UK days. But we need a true #1 to lead this team. I’m pissed right now but here’s what I’ll say. I will donate $1k to your charity of your choice if we make the WCF in the next 3 years. I hope I get proven wrong
Personally I don't like combining sports and gambling just as a matter of principle but we can do it this way if you like -- just as a friendly hand-shake wager with no money on the line. I do think this version of the Kings with a core of Fox, Sabonis, and Murray can and will make a WCF by 2027. And if you want to keep tabs on this, I'll buy you a drink in April 2027 (or when the Kings make the WCF, whichever comes first) at the watering hole of your choice regardless of the outcome and we can drink to our team's continued success or continued futility, whatever the case may be. :)

Start of the second half thunder started dropping back into a semi-zone and meeting drivers with physicality. And we left Domas in there alone (the situation he plays the absolute worst) instead of going big.

Just 10 minutes for Len? No Kessler or Sasha, not even McGee?

It was obvious what was happening and we didn't counter at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.