Kings notes: Starting lineup is a tricky deal for Adelman

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/12565931p-13420910c.html

Kings notes: Starting lineup is a tricky deal for Adelman

By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PST Tuesday, March 15, 2005

With 18 games remaining in the regular season, Kings coach Rick Adelman admits he still isn't sure if his current starting lineup is the best one.

But that's just the way it is for a coach who was content Monday with having his second five-on-five scrimmage in the past month.

And a bonus for Adelman: No one was injured during the workout at the Kings' practice facility.

Adelman said four-fifths of the Kings' starting lineup - small forward Peja Stojakovic, center Brian Skinner and guards Cuttino Mobley and Mike Bibby - is set.

"When the new guys got here," Adelman said of Skinner, Corliss Williamson and Kenny Thomas, "I thought it made the most sense to start Darius (Songaila) because he'd been here the longest and we'd have the best chance of knowing what we were doing.

"But I think you need consistency. I think Kenny would be comfortable starting and Darius certainly would be comfortable coming off the bench."

Adelman said his new players are still becoming more familiar with the team's offensive concepts.

Home not as sweet - At 23-9, the Kings are on pace to post their least successful home record since going 29-11 during the 1999-2000 season. The Kings played just 40 games at Arco Arena that season because the first two were in Tokyo. Certainly, a lack of continuity because of injuries and trades has contributed to the Kings' relative home struggles this season. But seeing teams come into Arco and leave with victories as often as they have could make playoff advancement even more difficult.

I believe that RA is feeling the heat to compete this year, that is why he is going with K-9 in the starting line-up. he should stick with Darius to start. i have seen what this kid can do and he has a huge upside in the right system. But this is RA's team.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
skenny said:
I believe that RA is feeling the heat to compete this year, that is why he is going with K-9 in the starting line-up. he should stick with Darius to start. i have seen what this kid can do and he has a huge upside in the right system. But this is RA's team.
Feeling the heat to compete?

Hello?

You did hear the news, right? The Maloofs, both brothers, have publicly stated that they decided it was time to blow up the team. Gavin said, on a pre-game show a couple of days ago, that "they had a good core but hadn't gotten the job done" so now "they were going to find another good core for the future."

RA is NOT feeling any heat. Had there been any residual warmth left at all after THE TRADE, it dissipated when Brad broke his leg.

skenny said:
Starting Thomas is the right move. He is better.
Darius doesn't have that much upside, though he is a very good bench player.

People have been talking about Songaila having this huge upside and potential, but he's been given so many chances to shine and just continued to show us that he's a pretty good shooter and has got some skills, but not that he's anything truly special. Maybe he will have a breakout year sometime, but until then he just looks like a good player off the bench and not a starter, not yet at least. Starting him makes no sense, especially because he can still get quality minutes off the bench. Hell, those bench minutes will probably be more helpful in advancing his game that putting him in a starting role.