Kings notes: Kings get unwelcome morning wake-up call

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/12697844p-13550369c.html

By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PDT Saturday, April 9, 2005

PORTLAND, Ore. - If the Portland Trail Blazers were fighting with the Kings for a playoff berth, the Friday morning wake-up call the visitors received might seem extremely suspicious.

But this one was no joke.

A fire in the kitchen of an adjoining restaurant resulted in the evacuation of the downtown hotel the Kings were staying in.

"There was no way to miss it with the alarms going off like they were," Kings guard Mike Bibby said. "They got everybody up and out of their rooms."

Erik Daniels said he was surprised to see ambulances, police cars and fire trucks outside the hotel around 1:30 a.m.

"You just don't expect that at that time of the morning," said Daniels, who now had one more experience to add to his list of rookie-year tales.

Listening, learning - Many times before a game, Daniels and fellow rookie Kevin Martin will sit on the bench while other players work out. Friday night, Hall of Famer Pete Carril, 74, sat between them.

Daniels, 23, and Martin, 22, took an early bus to the arena and already had worked out before the second bus carrying the regulars arrived at the Rose Garden.

The youngsters listen to Carril talk about basketball and off-the-court issues. He listens to the neophytes talk about the same.

"You never know what is coming out of Coachie's mouth," Martin said after one of Carril's quips.

Carril was told he formed quite the center of a sandwich with the rookies flanking him.

"Hey," Carril said, "I'm particular about what I use for bread."

Scouting the Kings - Phoenix scout Todd Quinter is back on the Kings' trail with the possibility of the Suns meeting Sacramento in the postseason.

The Suns lead the Western Conference, while the Kings are fifth. The two teams also play twice more during the regular season. They haven't met since Feb. 8, when the Suns won 125-123 at Arco Arena after a controversial non-call on Amare Stoudamire's game-ending block of a Brad Miller layin attempt.

LMM said:
http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/12697844p-13550369c.html

Listening, learning - Many times before a game, Daniels and fellow rookie Kevin Martin will sit on the bench while other players work out. Friday night, Hall of Famer Pete Carril, 74, sat between them.

Daniels, 23, and Martin, 22, took an early bus to the arena and already had worked out before the second bus carrying the regulars arrived at the Rose Garden.

The youngsters listen to Carril talk about basketball and off-the-court issues. He listens to the neophytes talk about the same.

"You never know what is coming out of Coachie's mouth," Martin said after one of Carril's quips.

Carril was told he formed quite the center of a sandwich with the rookies flanking him.

This sentence is just too funny.

LMM said:

By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PDT Saturday, April 9, 2005

PORTLAND, Ore. - If the Portland Trail Blazers were fighting with the Kings for a playoff berth, the Friday morning wake-up call the visitors received might seem extremely suspicious.

But this one was no joke.

A fire in the kitchen of an adjoining restaurant resulted in the evacuation of the downtown hotel the Kings were staying in.

"There was no way to miss it with the alarms going off like they were," Kings guard Mike Bibby said. "They got everybody up and out of their rooms."

Erik Daniels said he was surprised to see ambulances, police cars and fire trucks outside the hotel around 1:30 a.m.

"You just don't expect that at that time of the morning," said Daniels, who now had one more experience to add to his list of rookie-year tales.

Scouting the Kings - Phoenix scout Todd Quinter is back on the Kings' trail with the possibility of the Suns meeting Sacramento in the postseason.

The Suns lead the Western Conference, while the Kings are fifth. The two teams also play twice more during the regular season. They haven't met since Feb. 8, when the Suns won 125-123 at Arco Arena after a controversial non-call on Amare Stoudamire's game-ending block of a Brad Miller layin attempt.
lol.....coachie....thats funny :)

Am I the only one who wants to bust throw the TV and pinch Coachie's cheeks? He is sucha cutie :)

As for the alarms in the hotel i can only imagine..I wonder if they are in the rooms or just the hallways...in college they were in our rooms and ofcourse the alarm was right over my bed the first time it ever went off in the morning...I sat straight up in my bed (like the way people sit straight up in the movies when they are having a nightmare) and looked around like "wtf is that" I was alone that weekend my rooommate wasn't went home so I was all alone trying to figure out what it was...before i heard people out in the hallway going "wtf is that" than i realized it was the fire alarm and I lived on the 7th floor (the highest floor) and had to make my way down after I had wasted all this time sitting in my bed wondering "wtf is that" Then you have the misery of trying to quickly put some clothes on to at least be presentable to everyone else yet comfortbale and warm enough to be outside in the night to morning air...I would hate it if i were in that hotel and looked like absolute CRAP made my way outside just to look over and see the entire Sacramento Kings team standing off to one side...OH GOD!

I experienced a hotel fire in Denver several years ago. I was on the 22nd floor, and I hate to be in tall buildings anyway.

I woke up to fire alarms at 2:00 AM, threw on some clothes, and opened the door to the hall. It was full of smoke, so I worked my way to the nearest stairwell and ran down 21 flights of stairs. People were running around everywhere. What a zoo.

Some disgruntled former employee tried to burn down the hotel by setting fires on the ninth floor. If the fire had become fully involved, we would have been smoked sausages and toast. people would have been jumping off the building becasue there were no fire escapes or porches.

In Denver that night, it was snowing outside and very cold. We stood around for several hours on the sidewalk until the fires were extinguished and the smoke cleared.

I don't like Denver anyway. It's just a smaller, colder, high- altitude Los Angeles.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
My heavens, quick dog, if I had half the "adventures" in my life that you have had, I'd have died of fright years ago. :eek:

6th said:
My heavens, quick dog, if I had half the "adventures" in my life that you have had, I'd have died of fright years ago. :eek:
I have never even got into the really stupid ones. I sometimes have flashbacks of massive :eek: embarasment and guilt.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
The Freak said:
Coachie ;) haha
Pete Carril, a.k.a. Yoda, has been affectionately known as "Coachie" for a long time. He has the love and respect of so many players, former players, fans, peers, and even the media. I have never met anyone who did not love Coachie. The Maloof organization is sooooo lucky to have him.