Kings notes: Daniels is glad not to be at home

sacbee

Kings notes: Daniels is glad not to be at home

By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PST Thursday, November 4, 2004

SAN ANTONIO - Erik Daniels was one of the long shots to make the Kings entering training camp.

He was a man without a position, who even now at 6-foot-8 and 214 pounds gets to bang with 6-10, 245-pound Chris Webber in practice.

The free-agent rookie from Kentucky walked into practice Monday morning not knowing if he had made the team. He did have a plan, though.

"I'm going to rent a car and drive back across country," said Daniels, a Cincinnati native.

Avis, hold that call. The man has other things to do. Daniels now is being paid to play in the NBA after a few anxious moments Monday.

"I didn't know what to think," he said. "I just came into the locker room, and a couple of guys said they'd been released. I went on doing my daily routine. I went out on the court and started getting up shots and (assistant coach) Bubba (Burrage) told me congratulations."

Daniels hasn't played in either of the Kings' first two games, but undoubtedly, that's better than driving 2,000 miles.

Jackson struggles - Kings guard Bobby Jackson might as well be wearing Gary Payton's mittens while shooting.

In the first two games, Jackson has made just 5 of 20 shots, including 1 of 8 during Wednesday night's loss to the San Antonio Spurs. He also picked up three quick fouls while the Kings and Spurs struggled to figure out what the officiating crew of Bennett Salvatore, Tony Brothers and Tony Brown was doing.

There was no pick-me-up from the Kings' bench, either. Matt Barnes didn't have a repeat performance of the game of his life, going from 17 points and nine rebounds Tuesday night against the Dallas Mavericks to four points and four rebounds against San Antonio.

Miller takes one, then two - Brad Miller had his head down in the locker room after Wednesday's game, and it wasn't just because he dislikes speaking to the media.

Miller said he took an elbow from Spurs center Rasho Nesterovic between the eyes and had the swelling and redness to prove it. That's why Miller had a bottle of Tylenol in his locker. Those weren't the days - The last time the Kings started a season 0-2 was 1997, when they opened with four straight losses before winning at home against the New York Knicks. The Kings conclude this three-game road trip Saturday at Houston, which also will be playing its home opener.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
LMM said:
Miller said he took an elbow from Spurs center Rasho Nesterovic between the eyes and had the swelling and redness to prove it. That's why Miller had a bottle of Tylenol in his locker. QUOTE]
Raising the question why Nessy was NOT trying to pick up his teeth with broken fingers. Never though I'd say this but I'd like to see Brad play a litle tougher espcialy against top tier teams early in the season.