Kings notes: Alexander waiting to show his stuff

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/11263210p-12178484c.html

Kings notes: Alexander waiting to show his stuff

By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PDT Saturday, October 30, 2004

Guard Courtney Alexander has been a man missing in inaction.

Alexander has barely played since the free agent signed with the Kings in the offseason because of a strained left thigh and then a sore left foot.

The Kings hoped the veteran could give them some scoring punch in place of Doug Christie, who has missed the entire month of October as he rehabilitates from a shock treatment to alleviate pain from plantar fasciitis in his left foot.

But just two days away from final cuts, the Kings hardly have seen what Alexander can do.

Alexander said he had a bone scan performed on his left foot Friday, and the results came back negative, which was a positive to hear.

Nothing like that pop he heard when he first injured the foot at the end of the team's trip to China.

"I was grateful to find out there was nothing seriously wrong with my foot," said Alexander, sitting in the locker room before Friday night's final preseason game against the Phoenix Suns.

Alexander again had his foot wrapped in a bag of ice. He said he hoped to speak with the team's physicians to see if a cortisone shot would allow him to get onto the court.

He also hopes the Kings will give him the opportunity to get healthy and play.

"I know it's out of my control," he said of whether the team will receive something for the $300,000 guarantee Alexander was given to come to camp. "I think they like the potential I have as a basketball player, but I haven't been able to get out and play. I just have to put things into God's hands."

Alexander said he is aware that few of his teammates know him very well.

"Especially after me coming off being out an entire season," said Alexander, who missed last season with the New Orleans Hornets with a torn Achilles' tendon. "If there was any way I could get out and help and produce for my team as well as myself, I would be out there.

"This game is in my heart. That was something I found out when I got hurt last year. If and when I do get out on the court, I think my teammates and everybody else will see that, too."

Rookie no more - Things are coming a little easier for power forward Darius Songaila, who's one year removed from his first NBA training camp. "There's a different comfort level and more playing time," Songaila said. "Now I know most of the plays, and last year I was learning them. That's about it."

Last edited:
i really hope we give this guy a chance...seeing what he can do a few seasons ago when he averaged more than 17 a game is promising...

I think it would be unwise to release Alexander -- at least in the short term. Phoenix's athletic combo of Joe Johnson and Q Richardson showed that "Flash" isn't physically mature enough to contribute this season. I thought he looked frail out there Friday night. And though the consensus on this board is that Maurice Evans has had a nice camp, he remains unproven in the regular season.

On paper, I'm most comfortable right now with a second unit of Jackson, Alexander at SG, Barnes at SF, Songaila and Ostertag. But that's just me. If Evans performs well in the early season, I won't mind if Petrie releases Alexander.

We can't forget that Alexander has NBA experience. Without him on the roster, the Kings ninth through twelfth men would be rookies.

Eddie thats what I was telling all the Kevin Martin fans before...I wasn't hating on him just that looking at him he cant play 82 games at that weight, he isnt Reggie Miller or some dymanic force that the postives outweigh the negatives, so you live with it. I saw Josh Howard post him up all game on Thursday, and saw Johnson and Richardson easily score on him Friday. Teh Kings have until Dec 1 to pay that 300g's...they have to pay it anyway, so see what Courtney can give you. No reason to waive him, its not like if they cut Erik Daniels he or someone of his caliber wont be out there come Dec 1.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Truconfidence said:
Eddie thats what I was telling all the Kevin Martin fans before...I wasn't hating on him just that looking at him he cant play 82 games at that weight, he isnt Reggie Miller or some dymanic force that the postives outweigh the negatives, so you live with it. I saw Josh Howard post him up all game on Thursday, and saw Johnson and Richardson easily score on him Friday. Teh Kings have until Dec 1 to pay that 300g's...they have to pay it anyway, so see what Courtney can give you. No reason to waive him, its not like if they cut Erik Daniels he or someone of his caliber wont be out there come Dec 1.
I definitely think we should keep Alexander as the proven player to give us insurance, and possibly even to take over the second guard off the bench role if the kiddies fail. But I don't think its any more fair to judge Martin's talent based on these last two games than it was to get impossibly high on him after his sronger games earlier in the season. he was basically playing against SFs much of the time, which isn't going to work for him (and Adelman should know better). He's also a rook and so he's going to have his ups and downs. And based on these last two games alone you would have had to have said that Brad Miller was the worst rebounding center in the league and that Mike Bibby had no clue how to run a team. Its a two game sample, and two preseason games at that.

I just favor having Alexander on the roster so that we do not have to wait for Martin to develop and wonder if its going to be a good day or a rookie day for him. But the kid has shown everything he needs to be a solid NBA player. Just needs experience and some serious weight room work.

Last edited:
Bricklayer said:
I definitely think we should keep Alexander as the proven player to give us insurance, and possibly even to take over the first guard off he bench role if the kiddies fail. But I don;t think its any more fair to judge Martin's talent based on these last two games than it was to get impossibly high on him after his sronger games earlier in the season. He's a rook. he's going to have his ups and downs. And based on these last two games alone you would have had to have said that Brad Miller was the worst rebounding center in the league and that Mike Bibby had no clue how to run a team. Its a two game sample, and two preseason games at that.

I just favor having Alexander on the roster so that we do not have to wait for Martin to develop and wonder if its going to be a good day or a rookie day for him. But the kid has shown everything he needs to be a solid NBA player. Just needs experience and some serious weight room work.
Oh I agree completely Bricklayer, but two game sample im not taking that, I think of all 5 pre-season games I saw the same thing I was talking about before. I'm not saying the kid wont be a great/good NBA player I see the athleticism, I've seen he can score in college, but lots of players can score in college. I just havent seen the dynamic parts of his game and if you dont assert yourself on the court in this non-meaning games, I dont know if you'll "get it" over the course of the season. Its much harder to make an impact in limited minutes so thats what I was trying to get at before with Optimus. I hope I'm wrong believe me.

Same thing with Evans...He can dunk and he has hit some 3's in limited games, but i've seen him play at least 70 games from Euro league to Texas, i even saw him at Wichita St. his freshman year score a bunch, but he isnt a constitent jump shooter and doesnt drive to the basket well off the dribble, thats why he wasnt in the league. Maybe he has it now..people improve, though against phoenix that corner 3 he shot was way off. he doesnt have any mid range game to speak of ...or take it to the basket with any consititency cause he doesnt have confidence in his handle to do it agianst top flight competetion. So i have no faith in him

Last edited:
Truconfidence said:
Same thing with Evans...He can dunk and he has hit some 3's in limited games, but i've seen him play at least 70 games from Euro league to Texas, i even saw him at Wichita St. his freshman year score a bunch, but he isnt a constitent jump shooter and doesnt drive to the basket well off the dribble, thats why he wasnt in the league. Maybe he has it now..people improve, though against phoenix that corner 3 he shot was way off. he doesnt have any mid range game to speak of ...or take it to the basket with any consititency cause he doesnt have confidence in his handle to do it agianst top flight competetion. So i have no faith in him
Sounds like another case of Rodney Buford.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Just checked out the Bee's website, and at the very tail end of an article titled "Kings notes: Better effort is needed to have winning Kings" is a brief note stating that Alexander is going to be placed on the IL. So looks like we are going to keep him, but not on the active roster until he's ready to go. It also said that he's been told that he needs to start practicing everyday -- the implication being if he doesn't he'll get released. That old saying about having only one chance to make a good first impression may apply here. And he hasn't. Still a pretty obvious move to keep him given our lack of experienced bench players.

Putting him on IL also means that there should be at least one open slot for somebody other than Barnes/Evans (who I think we can safely assume are going to make it):

9th -- Martin
10th -- Barnes
11th -- Evans
12th -- ??
IL -- Alexander

May also be a temporary spot or two for some other guys if Tag or Christie has to start on the IL as well.

Last edited: