Kings not re-signing PJ Dozier, signing Deonte Burton from Stockton Kings to 10 Day.

I don't know much about him...it looks like he's just a dunker after watching Youtube highlights. I think the Kings need a big dude to rebound and basically a presence inside. They don't have anyone that can do that...even Sabonis is not that tall. They're giving up too many 2nd chance shots. I know they talk about not doing any trades but if you can upgrade in one area, it is the rebounding. They need a tall lengthy C/PF....preferably a PF/SF with size that play great D and rebound.

PS. They didn't even give Dozier a chance lol. I would like to see him play some real minutes and see how he does...I thought he has potential so I don't get it. Maybe they're looking for size.

Last edited:
Burton's shot the damn lights out so far this season in the g-league 45% from 3 on 3.2 attempts and like 87% from the ft stripe

He's a strong defender with very long arms for his height. While listed at 240lbs, he certainly used to be heavier than that(266lbs at the portsmouth invitational), he looks lean this season.

He used to be pretty clutch from what I remember, though he was always an older player so you'd sorta expect a bit of that.

I'm interested to see what he can do. We could use an enforcer type, letting him have a try doesnt sound so bad to me.

Burton is much more suited to help us in areas of immediate need than Dozier. We need help on the boards. 6'4" Anthony Edwards just matched Sabonis with 10 rebounds n lapped all our other players.

Burton is also a plus rebounder, solid on the offensive glass aswell. If he can help us there that might be his path of least resistance to sticking.

I think he wears pink shoes for cancer awareness and to honor his late mother, something like that.

Last edited:
What’s the point of these signings? They aren’t going to see the floor unless it’s garbage time. Even in the event of injury, we have several guys that would play before a 10 day wing.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
What’s the point of these signings? They aren’t going to see the floor unless it’s garbage time. Even in the event of injury, we have several guys that would play before a 10 day wing.
it's kind of like having a coupon for the grocery store...sure you get about 10 cents off or even 50 cents if you purchase one get another free type of deal but not enough to really make a dent in anything

I love it. It's no risk-all reward dart throws on guys who would do anything to make the league and win a spot. It's of course an extremely low chance Burton ever does anything in a Kings uni, but to me, the important process part is giving yourself the opportunity to find a diamond in the rough player.

Especially right now before the trade deadline and we don't have a real use for the roster spot. Keep funneling these guys through

I love it. It's no risk-all reward dart throws on guys who would do anything to make the league and win a spot. It's of course an extremely low chance Burton ever does anything in a Kings uni, but to me, the important process part is giving yourself the opportunity to find a diamond in the rough player.

Especially right now before the trade deadline and we don't have a real use for the roster spot. Keep funneling these guys through
Yeh it’s not a big deal either way, I just don’t see it amounting to anything. He is 28 years old but who knows. I think Monte might be trying to assemble an all Iowa connection squad. He was a pretty good player at Iowa State.

dude12

Hall of Famer
The one thing that can possibly come of these 10 days is if Monte does pull the trigger on a deal where we lose our wing depth, or more probable, we are able to deal a big or 2, then they now have an idea of who can fill the roster spots. I’m assuming that a guy like Dozier can be signed by us to a permanent contract in such a scenario

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I don't know much about him...it looks like he's just a dunker after watching Youtube highlights. I think the Kings need a big dude to rebound and basically a presence inside. They don't have anyone that can do that...even Sabonis is not that tall. They're giving up too many 2nd chance shots. I know they talk about not doing any trades but if you can upgrade in one area, it is the rebounding. They need a tall lengthy C/PF....preferably a PF/SF with size that play great D and rebound.

PS. They didn't even give Dozier a chance lol. I would like to see him play some real minutes and see how he does...I thought he has potential so I don't get it. Maybe they're looking for size.
Usually a team makes their asessment of a player in practice, especially this late in the season. If he had stood out in practice he might have gotten some meaningful minutes. I doubt they'll fill that final roster spot until after the trade deadline. In case they make a one for two trade, if they makie a trade at all.

But you're right about what they need, which I assume they'll try and address in the draft. But in the short term, it will be either through trade, or finding a diamond in the rough in the G-league.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

It's also a way of giving a little extra money to a G-league player, such as Burton, if they've been playing well. There's likely going to be some players available after the trade dead line, so having that extra roster spot is nice to have.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Burton's shot the damn lights out so far this season in the g-league 45% from 3 on 3.2 attempts and like 87% from the ft stripe

He's a strong defender with very long arms for his height. While listed at 240lbs, he certainly used to be heavier than that(266lbs at the portsmouth invitational), he looks lean this season.

He used to be pretty clutch from what I remember, though he was always an older player so you'd sorta expect a bit of that.

I'm interested to see what he can do. We could use an enforcer type, letting him have a try doesnt sound so bad to me.

Burton is much more suited to help us in areas of immediate need than Dozier. We need help on the boards. 6'4" Anthony Edwards just matched Sabonis with 10 rebounds n lapped all our other players.

Burton is also a plus rebounder, solid on the offensive glass aswell. If he can help us there that might be his path of least resistance to sticking.

I think he wears pink shoes for cancer awareness and to honor his late mother, something like that.
His current stats at Stockton are: 33.9 mpg - 11.3 ppg - 56.7% fgp - 42.9% 3pp - 86.4% ftp - 4.9 rpg - 2.5 apg - 1.2 stl's.

He played a half season for Marquette before transfering to Iowa St. He shot over 40% from three in college. Went undrafted but did have a cup of coffee with the Thunder where he never got any meaningful minutes. He's a physically strong player who plays physical defense and can play some bully ball on offense. He's one of those players with some dog in him that's worked hard for everything he has. Whether that adds up to anything for the himself and the Kings, who knows? But he's not cannon fodder! He can play!