[Game] Kings @ Mavericks - Tuesday, Feb. 13 - 5:30 PT

I’m on the edge of believing Kosta can possibly be starting here the next 5 years
he rebounds, sets good screens, shows defensively on pick and roll, plays hard inside, makes a high percentage of his shots, and understands his role. good guy to have on your roster. one thing he could improve is his passing out of the high post. he often looks hesitant and does not throw some passes that "look there" as our guards are running through picks trying to get open. almost as if he does not trust himself not to turn it over...

I’m on the edge of believing Kosta can possibly be starting here the next 5 years
2K is the steady kind of presence the Kings need. I hope we have a center in the future that is more athletic to start and keep 2K coming off the bench. I really like the guy because he shows up every night ready to play. He is a large human and a physical player. The rest of the Kngs' bigs wear tuxedos in comparison.

The Kings' look very complete playing against a weak team like Dallas. Zbo showed his offensive skill set bumping his way to the hoop and dropping bombs. Against an older, slower Dirk his defense was fine. Good guard play. I really like the back door cuts. Jackson is getting better each game. Willie showed some flashes of great defense. Koufus was steady as usual. It was a great game except for coasting at the end. The Kings have plenty of confidence against the weaker teams. The challenge is to have it against every team and not lose it when the opponents make a run. That comes with experience which they are getting every night. Kudos to Vince for loving and respecting the game of basketball more than almost anyone.

Rebounding is still a curious stat with the Kings. Zbo and KK got 7. jj 6, bogey 5. Willie got 4, the same as Fox and VC off the bench with fewer minutes. Are the guards really good at it, or is Willie afraid he might hurt his thumb again?

Rebounding is still a curious stat with the Kings. Zbo and KK got 7. jj 6, bogey 5. Willie got 4, the same as Fox and VC off the bench with fewer minutes. Are the guards really good at it, or is Willie afraid he might hurt his thumb again?

according to Willie he is afraid he might hurt his thumb again:

“I’m not real active around the rim the way people want me to be,” Cauley-Stein said. “I’ve got some mental things with that, that people never understand until it happens to you.”

Cauley-Stein is still haunted by some of the injuries he’s suffered playing around the rim defensively. That includes having to receive 35 stitches in his hand at one point.

“When I’m under the rim I’m real cognitive like, shoot I know I should go get this but nah, I’m not messing with it,” Cauley-Stein said. “So it’s a mental battle when you get injured, you’re thinking about it. It’s just something you have to battle through.”

“I’m not real active around the rim the way people want me to be,” Cauley-Stein said. “I’ve got some mental things with that, that people never understand until it happens to you.”

Cauley-Stein is still haunted by some of the injuries he’s suffered playing around the rim defensively. That includes having to receive 35 stitches in his hand at one point.

“When I’m under the rim I’m real cognitive like, shoot I know I should go get this but nah, I’m not messing with it,” Cauley-Stein said. “So it’s a mental battle when you get injured, you’re thinking about it. It’s just something you have to battle through.”
The issue for Willie if he's still worried about his thumb then he really needs to get help to get over it. Part of his job as a center is to grab those rebounds and block shots, and if he's not doing that to the required level then he's going to have to compensate for that with other parts of his game. For instance he's going to have to boost his scoring and start developing a 3 point shot, which might help him transition to PF if we land a center in the coming draft, or we can retain him at center but bring in a PF that can and does grab more rebounds and blocks shots (e.g. find ourselves an Ibaka like player).

Problem is if he doesn't overcome this or find a way to compensate for it, then that makes him extendable because we can't afford to have someone in the team that can't or won't do something that is required at their position.

gunks

Hall of Famer

*insert that gif of Kobe mouthing "soft" at Dwight Howard*