[Game] Kings @ Jazz - Friday, April 5th - 6PT/9ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
says a guy who'd cough his lungs out trying to keep up with Willie lol. If only our guys put in the collective effort of the posters here, we'd win the championship every season.
Comparing an NBA player to message board posters is a horrible argument. Willie has little to no motor. It’s a fact. It’s been a fact since his days at Kentucky. It’s one of the few things I remember always reading about him in profiles. Doesn’t mean he’s not talented.

Last edited:
says a guy who'd cough his lungs out trying to keep up with Willie lol. If only our guys put in the collective effort of the posters here, we'd win the championship every season.
Of course I wouldn't keep up with Willie. I'm not a professional basketball player.

Always hated statements like that. You think WCS would be able to walk into any of our jobs and perform? Ridiculous.

watched the game with 1 day delay. Started reading thread but gave up after couple of pages, not gonna read it. I see now what everyone has been talking about when ripping WCS. Our interior defense was stellar without him. Our pick and roll defense was impenetrable. Our help defense when the guards get beat was a force. If WCS played we would have lost by 31 instead of by 21.

read em and weep fellas.....

The grass isn't greener... It's browner.... some of y'all are obviously color blind.
To prove your point about Willie you had to go all the way back to October and November for highlights?

No question that Willie is physically gifted. He's a great athlete. He's also incredibly inconsistent, lacks a "motor", and has actually regressed in certain offensive areas of his game. Down the stretch in a contract year he's playing mostly poorly. If this guy can't get motivated to play for a big contract this late in the season, what do you think is going to happen when he gets paid?

He will almost certainly be gone next year as some other sucker GM is going to overpay and think that he can "fix" Willie. You are clearly very high on WCS as you have been all season but we will find out in the coming months if Vlade and the Kings are. Vlade knows what makes this guy tick more than any of us, so whatever offer they present to him (if any) will be very telling.

read em and weep fellas.....

The grass isn't greener... It's browner.... some of y'all are obviously color blind.
The criticism of Willie has never been that he isn't capable of having great games, it's that he too often doesn't show up. His highlight moments only make his general lack of motivation more obvious.

I was wrong about Harry being the PF and Bagley being the C when I talked about them switching positions earlier this year.

Bagley can't defend from the center position at all.

I don't see any pundits or scouts labeling him a KG. He displayed no offensive arsenal in Kentucky and that still remains to this day in his Pro career.

I was talking prior to the draft. All the vids of him shooting 3's and all the bs about how he was going to revolutionize the position. He could be great at what he does but everyone wants their guy to be the next this or that.

When you are unable to run, you are forced into a half court offense. One of our issues , all year long, is iso play in the half court. Our worst is iso post play without off ball movement. You hear Joeger harp on this often.
Again, this all started by teams stunting our pace assisted by our weary young team.

Unable to run? Their pace hasn't really changed, the issue all year has actually been their half court sets being too slow even when they were rolling. I've already posted the fast break stats on the year, their fast break game has two faces and those belong to Fox and Hield. Both are in the top 10 which skews the Kings pace a bit. The truth is all year they haven't put up the kind of PPG you want to see out of a top 3 pace team. That's been an all year thing and hasn't adjusted much throughout the year. They are close to getting over that hump but you know what they say about close. Right now it's what they are running in the half court that's creating that gap between pace and PPG. Running more offense like the Jazz could bridge that gap.

To prove your point about Willie you had to go all the way back to October and November for highlights?

No question that Willie is physically gifted. He's a great athlete. He's also incredibly inconsistent, lacks a "motor", and has actually regressed in certain offensive areas of his game. Down the stretch in a contract year he's playing mostly poorly. If this guy can't get motivated to play for a big contract this late in the season, what do you think is going to happen when he gets paid?

He will almost certainly be gone next year as some other sucker GM is going to overpay and think that he can "fix" Willie. You are clearly very high on WCS as you have been all season but we will find out in the coming months if Vlade and the Kings are. Vlade knows what makes this guy tick more than any of us, so whatever offer they present to him (if any) will be very telling.
I don’t think anyone will pay him, he’s not good. The reason Porter isn’t here because of Barnes if because Washington probably didn’t want him. He’s going to be 26, he’s beyond the age of untapped IMO

IMO he’s making little money. 2 years mid level with a team option on the second year I’m thinking. Too many centers in FA. IMO we would’ve been better taking Kanter or any non atrocious C for free than continuing with WCS at the deadline. Which IMO will be his market.

I think folks, including WCS most of all, will be surprised how little he gets

Last edited:
Unable to run? Their pace hasn't really changed, the issue all year has actually been their half court sets being too slow even when they were rolling. I've already posted the fast break stats on the year, their fast break game has two faces and those belong to Fox and Hield. Both are in the top 10 which skews the Kings pace a bit. The truth is all year they haven't put up the kind of PPG you want to see out of a top 3 pace team. That's been an all year thing and hasn't adjusted much throughout the year. They are close to getting over that hump but you know what they say about close. Right now it's what they are running in the half court that's creating that gap between pace and PPG. Running more offense like the Jazz could bridge that gap.
I think you are missing or ignoring an important peice. Teams are scheming the Kings to slow down, pushing them into the half court. This is helped by tired legs.
The pace stats and the eyeball test support this. Read Joergers post game comments. He never says, “I’m so excited we are slowing down and using post play.” He says, the guys need to get out and run, cut, find one another and play together.
But hey, if you need a reason to blame the coaching staff further, go for it.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
IMO he’s [WCS] making little money. 2 years mid level with a team option on the second year I’m thinking. Too many centers in FA.

I think folks, including WCS most of all, will be surprised how little he gets
Well, if you're predicting WCS will get one year guaranteed, one year team option at the MLE, then, yes, one of the two of us is going to be VERY surprised.

People here have not scrutinized every possession for every other center in the league like they have WCS. I think what WCS offers is valuable and he is going to get paid.

I stand equal to the other persons in the aforementioned people in my lack of scrutiny of other centers in the league. My opinion that grass is not always greener on the other side is based on the same lack of understanding of the surrounding flora as that of those who contend every blade outside is greener than the patch we have.

But there are those whose job is to perform such scrutiny and make business decisions based on it. We shall see what their judgement of Willie's value is. All are on record.

I stand equal to the other persons in the aforementioned people in my lack of scrutiny of other centers in the league. My opinion that grass is not always greener on the other side is based on the same lack of understanding of the surrounding flora as that of those who contend every blade outside is greener than the patch we have.

But there are those whose job is to perform such scrutiny and make business decisions based on it. We shall see what their judgement of Willie's value is. All are on record.
See that's just hyperbole. Nobody here says every blade out there is greener.. what you seem to be implying is that fans are not capable of making good judgment about players, and FOs always are. You don't need to look too hard to find multiple examples of bad contracts given out by these NBA executives you seem to hold in such high regard. And on the flip side, if every coach and player on our team is so damn good and above scrutiny then why on earth aren't we winning championships year after year?

See that's just hyperbole. Nobody here says every blade out there is greener.. what you seem to be implying is that fans are not capable of making good judgment about players, and FOs always are. You don't need to look too hard to find multiple examples of bad contracts given out by these NBA executives you seem to hold in such high regard. And on the flip side, if every coach and player on our team is so damn good and above scrutiny then why on earth aren't we winning championships year after year?
Isn't your post the exact type of exaggeration you are saying I'm guilty of? Am I saying that "fans are not capable of making good judgment about players, and FOs always are", or am I suggesting that we use the market value and the contract he receives to settle differing opinions among fans about what he is worth? Am I saying that "every coach and player on our team is so damn good and above scrutiny" or am I saying that the criticism of WCS are overstated?

I think you are missing or ignoring an important peice. Teams are scheming the Kings to slow down, pushing them into the half court. This is helped by tired legs.
The pace stats and the eyeball test support this. Read Joergers post game comments. He never says, “I’m so excited we are slowing down and using post play.” He says, the guys need to get out and run, cut, find one another and play together.
But hey, if you need a reason to blame the coaching staff further, go for it.

I don't doubt that they are getting tired but as I said, the pace/PPG correlation has sustained throughout the year for the most part. If he hasn't said that, then why is he calling more post up plays? That isn't player freestyling and if it is that speaks to a bigger issue. Answer this, if you don't put that on the coaching staff who do you put that on?

Someone please explain to me, in a way that makes sense, why WCS is a hot (whipping boy) topic in a game thread of a game he didn’t even play in? SMH.
Ozy(?) interjecting him IMO needlessly, stirring the pot between possibly the sole person who thinks WCS should still be starting here and the rest of the board (as if WCS doesn’t struggle against big bodies like Gobert and we haven’t learned Marvin is a PF for the foreseeable)

Status
Not open for further replies.