Kings finalize roster

Wenyen should be on roster as our SF instead of BMac. I feel Weyen hasn't gotten a real shot at that open spot at the 3 unfortunately
From a team mgmt standpoint, do you want your young raw guy sitting at the end of the bench or getting some run in Stockton? The team doesn't care if Ben doesn't play, or gets garbage minutes. But if you let Wenyen sit at the end of the bench, he doesn't get to develop.

I'm a Wenyen fan too, but he's not going to save us this season. So there is no rush.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Wenyen should be on roster as our SF instead of BMac. I feel Weyen hasn't gotten a real shot at that open spot at the 3 unfortunately
the problem is contracts. IF the Kings can move paper in a 2 or more for 1 form then they can use the room to give Wenyen a real shot, but you cant realistically make a guy on a two way deal a starter or even a signifficant part of your line up. Remember he can only play with the team for 45 days and once that time is expired he either would need a full contract or have to go back to Stockton for good. So while I would love to see him get some serious PT to see how he does the restrictions and the buisness of the NBA make it more likely we will not see much of Weyen for at least a while.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The biggest question is why we have only 1 2 way contract? If any team needs a pipeline of young talent it’s us.
Because it's not like that two-way contract magically disappears if you don't use to start the season.

If you don't see anyone you really like, there's no point in throwing a contract out there to bring a guy in. I'd wager that a lot of those fringe guys would rather wait things out before committing to a 2-way contract for the rest of the year. The overseas leagues are still signing guys and the money that they can offer still exceeds the value of a two-way contract for some guys.

Because it's not like that two-way contract magically disappears if you don't use to start the season.

If you don't see anyone you really like, there's no point in throwing a contract out there to bring a guy in. I'd wager that a lot of those fringe guys would rather wait things out before committing to a 2-way contract for the rest of the year. The overseas leagues are still signing guys and the money that they can offer still exceeds the value of a two-way contract for some guys.
I know Boston regularly has signed their second round picks to 2 way contracts. Wondering why trade ours away and why not do the same thing?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I know Boston regularly has signed their second round picks to 2 way contracts. Wondering why trade ours away and why not do the same thing?
Because in all honesty, this year's draft was largely top heavy and the problem with drafting a good second round guy and then cutting them for the purpose of signing them to a two-way contract is that other teams can poach them by simply offering a full NBA contract with better money.

Because in all honesty, this year's draft was largely top heavy and the problem with drafting a good second round guy and then cutting them for the purpose of signing them to a two-way contract is that other teams can poach them by simply offering a full NBA contract with better money.
You don’t ever cut them. Boston signed them directly to a two way deal. I’m not sure you follow how this was done. Because they didn’t sign an NBA contract they didn’t lose their rights.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
You don’t ever cut them. Boston signed them directly to a two way deal. I’m not sure you follow how this was done. Because they didn’t sign an NBA contract they didn’t lose their rights.
If you're talking about Jabari Bird's deal, he was a super late pick in the draft, where 99% of the dudes wound up getting cut anyways. Rather than give the Celts a bigger target to cut (i.e. take a "guaranteed" contract where he could get cut in the case of a signing, etc.), he and his agent wound up taking the 'easier' route wherein there would be less money right off but a lesser chance to get cut with the opportunity to learn under the best player development department in the league.

Contracts are a two-way thing. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you can.

If you're talking about Jabari Bird's deal, he was a super late pick in the draft, where 99% of the dudes wound up getting cut anyways. Rather than give the Celts a bigger target to cut (i.e. take a "guaranteed" contract where he could get cut in the case of a signing, etc.), he and his agent wound up taking the 'easier' route wherein there would be less money right off but a lesser chance to get cut with the opportunity to learn under the best player development department in the league.

Contracts are a two-way thing. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you can.
Hate to tell you but the C’s have done this with all their recent second round picks other than Ben Bentil. Actually the even did it with Yabusele.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Hate to tell you but the C’s have done this with all their recent second round picks other than Ben Bentil. Actually the even did it with Yabusele.
But I don't think you're understanding me. The Celtics are doing it but pretty much no one else it, not because it isn't a good idea but because no one is as fine with being a complete and total jerk as Danny Ainge is.

Last edited by a moderator:
But I don't think you're understanding me. The Celtics are doing it but pretty much no one else it, not because it isn't a good idea but because no one is as fine with being a complete and total jerk as Danny Ainge is.
Not sure it’s being a jerk. The players don’t mind it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Not sure it’s being a jerk. The players don’t mind it.
But they do. Players in the situation of those guys don't have any other recourse but to sign the deal because of how rookie rights work. It's either sign a two-way contract or don't get a chance to play in the league at all.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Wait, what? I honestly have no idea what you are referring to. Is it Tetsujin referring to Ainge as a jerk?

I’m not sure even Danny would disagree with that characterization.
"Jerk" was a replacement word on mod edit. Since you used the same word yourself one post later (also replaced) you should probably rack your brain to remember what you typed.