Kings fans are global

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Suicide King - "Hard being a Kings fan from the outside looking in. However, we are out here. :)"

We've done this a few times before and I'm always amazed at the global reach of Kings fandom. Since so many of you have returned and we've got new fans since our last thread like this, I think it's time to do it again.

Where are you from? How'd you become a Kings fan? Let your voices be heard!!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Hi! My name is VF21 and I'm a Kings fan.

I live in the middle of Plumas Forest, about two hours from Golden 1 Center. I grew up in Sacramento and my dad gave us kids a love of the game at an early age. My brother is 6'8" and played ball through school and into college until his knees ended his career before it really started, although he did play a year with a Sacramento semi-pro team whose name escapes me at the moment. I was a Celtics fan (hatred of the Lakers started a very long time ago) until the day the Kings came to town. My dad died before they got here but I know he's right here with me every time I watch a game.

HI I am datamanwes. Sacramento born. I have been a Kings fan since the team moved here. Season ticket holder for a couple of years back before every game was broadcast on TV. I used to listen to every game on the radio. I now watch every game on tv. Only miss one or two games per year.

I have been mostly a lurker on here for years. I read the forums every day. My favorite time of the year is the high expectations I get every year before the Draft and Free agency. I spend hours watching videos and reading obscure sites and try to get as many varying opinions as I can. While not a expert on players. My wife gets tired of me telling her we should have drafted this guy instead of this one. If we did draft according to my draft boards over the years we would have a much different looking team. I hit on the right player much more than I miss. Although I do miss. I thought Thomas Robinson was a great pick for example.

This year has been the best year for me draft wise. Looking into all the different guys that can be drafted I feel like I know all of them. When you look to deep all have to many weaknesses

Born and raised in Vienna, Austria. I started watching basketball as a child during the MJ days. Became a Kings fan in the 90s because when collecting trading cards as a little child I liked the logo of the Kings and the cards of Olden Polynice & Co best. Sticked to being a Kings Fan ever since. Watched the Kings twice in real person, once in Newark against the NJ Nets in 2010 and once in DC against the Wizards in 2015 (both losses). Have yet to make the trip to Sacramento and see a home game, but it's very high on my bucket list.

Kinda like an AA meeting lmao.
Hi I'm upinsmoke and Im a kings fan first of all because I love the game and the Kings are the home town team. Grew up loving the team and me and my cousin used to go to William land park and rake the sand and collect balls to save money to buy tickets back in the Mitch "the rock" Richmond era. Then came j will and the crew and it was on. 2002 still drives my fan hood because of the injustice and the belief that victory will be all the more sweet. That probably is also why Divac, Peja, DC, and BJ are still around they are not hurting for the money. Long story short I bleed that Kings purple!

Kinda like an AA meeting lmao.
Hi I'm upinsmoke and Im a kings fan first of all because I love the game and the Kings are the home town team. Grew up loving the team and me and my cousin used to go to William land park and rake the sand and collect balls to save money to buy tickets back in the Mitch "the rock" Richmond era. Then came j will and the crew and it was on. 2002 still drives my fan hood because of the injustice and the belief that victory will be all the more sweet. That probably is also why Divac, Peja, DC, and BJ are still around they are not hurting for the money. Long story short I bleed that Kings purple!
Btw did you see they came to an agreement to save the golf course? I’m assuming that’s what you were referring to.
I used to hit balls out into the street when I played there lol

I should specify that it was not intentional

Last edited:
Btw did you see they came to an agreement to save the golf course? I’m assuming that’s what you were referring to.
I used to hit balls out into the street when I played there lol
Great news I had not heard that. We were just kids out there trying to make a buck and the golfers out there would be really generous. That and tickets were way cheaper back then. We would sit in the nose bleeds but we didn't care we were at the game! Lol.

Great news I had not heard that. We were just kids out there trying to make a buck and the golfers out there would be really generous. That and tickets were way cheaper back then. We would sit in the nose bleeds but we didn't care we were at the game! Lol.
I remember the 2nd year they made the playoffs in 96’, my mom drove us to tower records to buy standing room only tickets they put on sale last second. Literally stood at the back part of Arco with are backs against the wall....it was awesome

I'm Sacto born and raised. Born in Carmichael, but grew up in Citrus Heights and Orangevale. Reside in Rocklin now. For those that are unfamiliar with the area, they are all suburbs of the Sacramento metro area.

I was a freshman in high school when the Kings moved from Kansas City to the barren wasteland of North Natomas. Prior to that, I didn't know much about NBA basketball and was really only a hardcore NFL/MLB fan. But I did watch the NBA Finals the previous couple seasons and ended up on the Showtime Lakers side of the Lakers v. Celtics rivalry (sorry @VF21 !). But once the Kings moved to town and I started learning the game and loving our new team, I developed a deep hatred for the Lakers (and most every other team ;) ).

My mother worked for a general surgeon, who was part of a season ticket holder group to the original ARCO 1. I still recall my first ever game against the San Antonio Spurs. As my mother and I walked closer and closer to the floor , my 14 year old face lit up with excitement as I could see the faces of Reggie Theus, Eddie Johnson, Terry Tyler, etc. in person for the first time. I even remember the halftime score was 79-63 Kings.

My father ended up buying into the season ticket group so I saw lots and lots of games from 1985 through around 1994 (coincidentally once they started to improve). I still recall the excitement of getting tickets to a game back then. The first 2-3 seasons, it wasn't easy to get tickets. We only got them from the doctor when he couldn't go so I was constantly trying to buy nosebleeds when I could. Any time someone offered tix for sale, you didn't want to turn them down. It was a magical time even though the team wasn't good.

I also remember fondly listening to Gary Gerould and Dave Grosby on AM1530. Back in those days, only around 15-20 games were broadcast on TV so you had to rely upon the radio broadcast if you didn't have tix to the game. After the game, G-Man always did a detailed post game recap including citing boxscore stats and then Grosby hosted a call in show where fans could talk about the game. I used to call in all the time. Memorable times!

Anyway, my love for the Kings and NBA basketball soon rivaled the NFL -- which is something I never expected to happen. Along the way, my favorite Kings players have included (in order) Reggie Theus, Otis Thorpe, Kenny Smith, Danny Ainge, Ricky Berry, Lionel Simmons, Mitch Richmond, Corliss Williamson, Peja Stojakovic, Chris Webber, Kevin Martin, Tyreke Evans, Boogie Cousins, and now DeAaron Fox and Bogdan Bogdanovich.

Sorry for the long response :)

Hello everybody all the way from Latvia.

How I became Kings fan is kind a funny and a little bit silly, but I can't change it and I still remember that day like it was yesterday haha

So it all started in 2002 to be correct after looking up 3rd February in 2002... for the first time in Latvian television they showed live NBA games, I was so amazed that they were able to translate it, because basketball was not very popular here, hockey was number 1 sport and at that time I knew what was the atmosphere in North American leagues, because the television was showing NHL games, where was a lot of good Latvian players.

This 3rd February day for me was the first time I saw the NBA game and as I was back then a big sports fanatic, I had to have my favourite NBA team and I said to myself who will win this game between Sacramento Kings vs Timberwolves I will support that team... as I was watching the game the atmosphere the energy was amazing and I fell in love with Chris Webber (who still this day is my favourite player of all time) and as a kid in small country of Latvia after the tough USSR times it was the best I have ever seen, what was my spectating basketball experience before? I have only seen at that time before some domestic league games where was arenas with 500 spectators at most....

Oh yeah at the end Kings won 112-107 and I don't regret nothing at all about that day or about that my decision, Kings are my team and will be forever, being 16 years through all the ups and downs... I have only to say time flies fast.

P.S.

I think I might be the only Latvian who is a Kings fan!!!

I'm from Ontario, Canada.. While growing up I really looked up to my step-brother.. he was like a real brother to me. I got hooked on the things he was interested in (video Games, Kung Fu movies, Hip Hop ect)

We used to play b-ball a lot as kids (i still play street ball almost every day).. And when Jason Williams came into the league my bro became a huge fan of him. The flash/passing that he played with just blew our minds.

We both kind of molded our basketball games around J Will. i remember my brother even bought those Black leg bands that White Chocolate used to wear at the top of his legs. And when we would ball he'd wear them. We would play for hours and hours everyday in the warm months. And in the long cold Winters we would put a heater in the garage and master our handles in there.

So I fell in love with the Kings and basketball because of my brother.
Peja quickly became my favourite player in time and I've been following the kings ever since.

I remember I was such a die hard fan back in my highschool days that my friends would invite me out to party..and I would have to tell them no.

Because I wanted to stay home and READ VF21's game threads... while listening to the Kings on the online radio..(every game wasnt televised untill league pass came around)

So here we are- I'm 30 now. Still love the Kings, although its hard at times. I'm thankful for the team because they made me fall in love with the game and its a game that got me through a lot of hard times in my life.

Go Kings

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm Sacto born and raised. Born in Carmichael, but grew up in Citrus Heights and Orangevale. Reside in Rocklin now. For those that are unfamiliar with the area, they are all suburbs of the Sacramento metro area.

I was a freshman in high school when the Kings moved from Kansas City to the barren wasteland of North Natomas. Prior to that, I didn't know much about NBA basketball and was really only a hardcore NFL/MLB fan. But I did watch the NBA Finals the previous couple seasons and ended up on the Showtime Lakers side of the Lakers v. Celtics rivalry (sorry @VF21 !). But once the Kings moved to town and I started learning the game and loving our new team, I developed a deep hatred for the Lakers (and most every other team ;) ).

My mother worked for a general surgeon, who was part of a season ticket holder group to the original ARCO 1. I still recall my first ever game against the San Antonio Spurs. As my mother and I walked closer and closer to the floor , my 14 year old face lit up with excitement as I could see the faces of Reggie Theus, Eddie Johnson, Terry Tyler, etc. in person for the first time. I even remember the halftime score was 79-63 Kings.

My father ended up buying into the season ticket group so I saw lots and lots of games from 1985 through around 1994 (coincidentally once they started to improve). I still recall the excitement of getting tickets to a game back then. The first 2-3 seasons, it wasn't easy to get tickets. We only got them from the doctor when he couldn't go so I was constantly trying to buy nosebleeds when I could. Any time someone offered tix for sale, you didn't want to turn them down. It was a magical time even though the team wasn't good.

I also remember fondly listening to Gary Gerould and Dave Grosby on AM1530. Back in those days, only around 15-20 games were broadcast on TV so you had to rely upon the radio broadcast if you didn't have tix to the game. After the game, G-Man always did a detailed post game recap including citing boxscore stats and then Grosby hosted a call in show where fans could talk about the game. I used to call in all the time. Memorable times!

Anyway, my love for the Kings and NBA basketball soon rivaled the NFL -- which is something I never expected to happen. Along the way, my favorite Kings players have included (in order) Reggie Theus, Otis Thorpe, Kenny Smith, Danny Ainge, Ricky Berry, Lionel Simmons, Mitch Richmond, Corliss Williamson, Peja Stojakovic, Chris Webber, Kevin Martin, Tyreke Evans, Boogie Cousins, and now DeAaron Fox and Bogdan Bogdanovich.

Sorry for the long response :)
Was that the second game ever played in Arco I? If so, I WAS THERE TOO!!!

Born in Serbia almost 56 years ago. 1999 moved to Prague, Czech Republic. Become SC fan when Divac joined the team. I falled in love with passing art entire team displayed. Besides Vlade, my favorit player from that team was Doug Christie. I highly regard passing, rebounding and good defense. Common denominator is smart, effort, unselfish attitude and awerness.

I don't really hate any basketball team, but I started disliking/despising Lakers when they traded Vlade. I do like when team rise from within, so I don't like their approach.

I was born in as small town as you can imagine, only 4-5 000 residents. We had a great hometown volayball team, thanks to great coaches we had in high school. The team evantually won national championship and went to Euroligue semifinal, with all players born in the town or villages around. After that a few best players signed for big market teams. So, you can see why I don't like Lakers.

Last edited:
Sactown born, now living in Singapore!

I hopped on the Kings bandwagon just before "Rattle Seattle" and haven't been able to fall off since.
Born and still living in Singapore here! Might honestly be the first time I've actually seen anyone else mention Singapore on this forum.

Introduced to the team in early 2000s playing NBA live with a friend as kids. He actually watched some games (we only used to get 2 NBA games broadcast the entire week here, provided you had the sports channels) and said the Kings were pretty good. So I picked them in the video game ... Fast forward a few years and I could follow the team and the rest of the league a bit more as the internet grew.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You know what I like most about this? These are personal stories of real people. It's the one thing that I've always been the most proud of about Kingsfans.com - we're not just a message board. We're a family spread all over the globe. Sure, things may have been tough for a while but it's so good to see so many of our past members returning. A lot of you grew up on this board and hearing your stories reminds me that Kings fans have always been a breed apart. I just hope that more of our old group will find their way back.

Keep the stories coming. Even if you've told it before it's worth retelling for the new fans.

#ILoveThisTeam

Sactown born, now living in Singapore!

I hopped on the Kings bandwagon just before "Rattle Seattle" and haven't been able to fall off since.
That was such a fun series, despite losing it. I attended the 1st home game of the series AFTER Richmond, Marčiulionis, Grant and co. stole GM2 in Seattle. I'll never forget the electricity, buzz, excitement, ambiance and noise that filled that Arena long before tip off. That place was as loud as I'd ever heard it.

GM3 of the Utah series in 1999 is right up there with it. When Todd Fuller went to the FT line at the end of the game, I knew he had no chance. Also, there were a few moments in ARCO1 that compare -- such as when Larry Bird missed 2 FT's and admitted he was scared the building was gonna collapse -- but that "Rattle Seattle" series definitely sticks out. Great callout!

I am Suicide King*

I fell in love with basketball at a very young age. I played almost every day on various blacktops in many different states growing up. Although I was born in Kansas, we moved to Oklahoma, then Indiana, then New Hampshire, then New York, West Virginia, Maryland, Michigan etc. You get the point. My father worked at various nuclear power plants and when he was needed elsewhere we moved. We landed in Alabama when I was about 13 and I am back there now (due to my mother's ailing health) after a brief stint in Colorado.

Watching NBA on NBC was a big thing for me and my older brother. I found this awesome live version of the theme song done by John Tesh oddly enough :D I am sure it will hit a few folks in the feels thinking back.

Since we moved so much, I guess as a kid I was more of a bandwagoner. I first fell in love with watching the Boston Celtics of the 80's. I loved Larry Legend, Kevin McHale, and of course The Chief, Robert Parish. To this day I always use double zero for my created players I make in video games in his honor.

When we moved to Michigan, I lived in South Haven. A small town of about 7k. My middle school was highly divided between Pistons fans and Bulls fans. This is back when dudes would sport emblems "acquired" off of nice cars hanging on gold chains on their necks. I loved Isiah Thomas. The Pistons had just won their first title the season before, and won again the one year ( and a half) I spent in MI. I rolled with the Bad Boys.

After moving to AL, life kinda got in the way of me keeping up with the NBA for a bit. I still balled as much as possible though. When I was able to get back into it, I needed a team, and AL has no professional sports teams. I am sure a few on this board understand that college football reigns supreme in this state. I could not care less. Ball is life for me.

There was a team around 2000 that was playing what I considered an epiphany of beautiful basketball by the name of the Sacramento Kings. I loved how passionate their fanbase seemed. I loved how passionate their ownership seemed. ( Live and learn ) I love fantasy ( tabletop roleplaying nerd checking in) so I loved the Kings name and theme. My favorite color is purple and my favorite contrast;) is black.

They checked boxes I didn't know I wanted checked. I was hooked. I am a very loyal kind of man. Once I was hooked, the Kings had me and I had them, for better or worse, through precious little thick and abundant thin. I bleed purple. When I started recently at an awesome steakhouse a friend already working there I have known for years asked me, you don't still go for the Kings do you?

I said " Kings for life buddy. Ride or die"

The last time we were in the playoffs I think little SK was still calling their favorite Kings player Bibly. Now they are 22 and often asks me " Pop why do you still pull for a team that has been so awful for so long?" " Loyalty " was my reply. ( miss you Boogie )

I have never, in my life, met another Kings fan face to face. Never been able to nod knowingly about the tears, the trials and tribulations we have both endured over the years. Maybe one day.

* I chose the moniker Suicide King for two reasons. 1) I had hoped that everytime I make a post, and you see that name, it makes you remember that mental health issues are not only prominent, but are still taboo :(:mad::( and need to be spoken about. Lots of people need help and they are not getting it. 2) Being a fan of this team will make you want to fall on your own sword ( Tongue in cheek of course ) or tongue sticking out :p

Last edited:
I first started watching basketball at age 8 or 9 during Jimmer Fredette’s junior year in college. I lived near his hometown in Glens Falls, NY and he was my idol.

My family moved to Sacramento right before Jimmer got drafted there. Obviously things didn’t turn out too well for him on the Kings but I went to some games and became obsessed with the NBA. I never would’ve expected to become so attached to an NBA team, but there is no going back now.

I think it’s interesting that I’m probably one of the only people on here that has never witnessed a good Kings season. I was only like 5 when they last made the playoffs and have only been following the team since 2011. But when the Kings are good in a couple of years this post will be proof I’m not a bandwagon fan!!

Grew up in LA...

Lakers tickets were too expensive so got Clipper season tickets. Those were the days summer league was in Loyola Marymount and after the game you could stroll across the court to chat with Pop and Alvin Gentry (Pop had coached at Pomona College when I was there). Watched Danny Manning and crew get started. Began hating the Lakers then because their fans would flood the sports arena for games.

In 1989 moves to Sacramento for work and got Kings tickets which were still reasonable. I figured going from Clippers to Kings was an even trade. Our seats were behind Jerry Reynolds seats and he was the nicest man you would ever meet. Stopped tickets when Maloofs came in and jacked up prices but still a Kings fan.

I was a GSW fan growing up here in Modesto, CA which is an equal distance from Oakland and Sacramento more or less. 1975 was the year I graduated from High Shool and the Rick Barry led W's won it all. I was stoked when CWebb hit town and devastated when Nellie traded CWebb for Tom Gugliotta and a bunch of draft picks. It was enough of a blow that I gave up the NBA because Don Nelson was not the wiser more mature person in his coaching of CWebb.

So there I am in 1994 with no team. The Kings were on TV and sometimes I would watch them. I also knew of Geoff Petrie from his Portland days and was intrigued he was the GM. So I started following the Kings and had partial season tickets for a few years. Some of the highlights for me was CWebb coming to town even though there is no soul food. Vlade signing to get back to CA. Petrie describing Peja pre-draft as a poor mans Larry Bird and then drafting him. Watching JWill was great, one minute no, no, no then the next yes, yes, yes:) White Chocolate could drive you nuts.

It has been a wild ride as a Kings Fan. The ups and downs of the Maloof ownership. Watching Jerry and Grant cry on TV when we all thought the team was soon to be gone. Witnessing Carmichael Dave ride around the country in an RV promoting the Kings staying. Vivek and the other owners saving the Sacramento Kings with a big assist from David Stern, Kevin Johnson and so many others.

I think I can see a light at the end of this tunnel:)

I am Japanese, and lived in Sacramento from 1994-96. I was a student there at Sac City College. While I was in Sactown, I witnessed Bobby Hurley accident on El Paso, and playoff series against Seattle. Yeah, I went to Arco Arena more than 15 games, and I don’t know how many times I couldn’t find my parking after the games. Then I was transferred to Fresno State, and I enjoyed those Jerry Tarkanian’s Bulldogs. I got DirecTV to watch every single Kings games in Fresno. There was a preseason game at Selland Areana against Lakers, and I watched that years rookie, Oliver St. Jean. I went back to my country in 2001, and I missed pretty much every game during glory days. Now I can watch Kings games, and get all info in Japan through internet. I am really looking forward to see who we pick,and since the draft will be broadcasted, I take a day off, and watch it live here in Japan. I tell you that surprisingly there’s a number of Japanese Kings fans, and like you guys do, check on Twitter for the latest Kings info everyday. I prefer us taking Dončić while some others want Bagley, but we are very skeptical on MPJ. I visit this site everyday, I guess for more than 15 years. I used to visit Sackings.com, but it was long time ago. I barely do writing since I came back to Japan, sorry for my bad English.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I am Japanese, and lived in Sacramento from 1994-96. I was a student there at Sac City College. While I was in Sactown, I witnessed Bobby Hurley accident on El Paso, and playoff series against Seattle. Yeah, I went to Arco Arena more than 15 games, and I don’t know how many times I couldn’t find my parking after the games. Then I was transferred to Fresno State, and I enjoyed those Jerry Tarkanian’s Bulldogs. I got DirecTV to watch every single Kings games in Fresno. There was a preseason game at Selland Areana against Lakers, and I watched that years rookie, Oliver St. Jean. I went back to my country in 2001, and I missed pretty much every game during glory days. Now I can watch Kings games, and get all info in Japan through internet. I am really looking forward to see who we pick,and since the draft will be broadcasted, I take a day off, and watch it live here in Japan. I tell you that surprisingly there’s a number of Japanese Kings fans, and like you guys do, check on Twitter for the latest Kings info everyday. I prefer us taking Dončić while some others want Bagley, but we are very skeptical on MPJ. I visit this site everyday, I guess for more than 15 years. I used to visit Sackings.com, but it was long time ago. I barely do writing since I came back to Japan, sorry for my bad English.
There is nothing wrong with your English. :) Thank you for sharing your story.