Kings Convert Metu to a Full Contract

until this year, i was unaware that a team could drastically reduce compensation for a player.

as i understand it, before the season started, metu signed a three year deal for slightly more than a million a year.

then the kings had to make some roster moves and metu (despite his contract) was shifted back to being a two way player (at something like $50,000 a year).

i can't believe that the union signed off on such "flexibility" for management.

ok. "now" (at the end of the season) he goes back to making real money, after playing the whole season for peanuts (nba standard "peanuts").

metu should be (and should have been, all along) compensated at the rate he signed his contract for, prior to the start of the season.

until this year, i was unaware that a team could drastically reduce compensation for a player.

as i understand it, before the season started, metu signed a three year deal for slightly more than a million a year.

then the kings had to make some roster moves and metu (despite his contract) was shifted back to being a two way player (at something like $50,000 a year).

i can't believe that the union signed off on such "flexibility" for management.

ok. "now" (at the end of the season) he goes back to making real money, after playing the whole season for peanuts (nba standard "peanuts").

metu should be (and should have been, all along) compensated at the rate he signed his contract for, prior to the start of the season.
It appears he was signed to a non-guaranteed camp deal, was waived and then signed to the 2-way. I don't think this is abnormal.

He's looked good, could be a decent rotation piece and obviously no risk in terms of the deal anyway. That said, Metu/Jones aren't close to the place you want to be if you're looking for potential as they've been around and they are for the most part developed. This is probably another instance where more role players that have been around the block a few times are getting the Walton treatment. To his credit he allows player like that to shine.

I’m a big fan of Metu. I think it was Tetsujin that said he is pretty raw for a two year college kid with time on the Spurs. He does show flashes though and I’m interested to see how he develops
I agree w/Tetsujin on that one. Clear strong points - I like his aggressiveness on both ends and he has a nice shooting stroke. He certainly doesn't look overwhelmed to be out on the floor with/against NBA talent. However, like Bags, he has strong black hole tendencies offensively. Those two have got to be among the team leaders in shots/minute, but, except for when DFox is doing his thing, that's not how this team thrives offensively.

I agree w/Tetsujin on that one. Clear strong points - I like his aggressiveness on both ends and he has a nice shooting stroke. He certainly doesn't look overwhelmed to be out on the floor with/against NBA talent. However, like Bags, he has strong black hole tendencies offensively. Those two have got to be among the team leaders in shots/minute, but, except for when DFox is doing his thing, that's not how this team thrives offensively.
Not quite the same. Metu this year has been at 20% USG with a 59% TS, 12% TOV rate and 9% AST rate. So he's absolutely been a finisher with little to no playmaking ability, but he's been pretty effective at it without dominating possessions. What's going to be key for him is extended his jumper, which looks pretty good, out to the 3 and making himself a stretch big.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I honestly didn't think much of Metu in the preseason and thought he would be one of the ones cut from the roster. glad I was wrong on that one, the few games I have watched him play, he's shown good strides and improvement. good find by Monte.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Metu is fun to watch and he's given us some desperately needed toughness on the inside in his minutes this year. I'm glad we finally got a Trojan on the Kings* and this would be an excellent year to add a second one in the draft!

*I'm choosing not to count whatever that Dewayne Dedmon situation was where we signed him for 3yr/$40 million and then benched him two weeks into the season.

Metu looks like a bright spot. He is extending his range and could be a good player. Hopefully he adds a touch of control to his game so he can stay on the floor.

I'm a bit worried about Metu. That was a wierd accident had had the other night. He made a strange body movement that led to the fall. When he broke his arm it was very unusual also.