Kent or Sandberg?

monk

G-League
This was brought up in a basketball thread so I'm starting it over here in the appropriate forum.

Who's better: Jeff Kent or Ryne Sandberg.

I take Sandberg by a wide margin.

monk

G-League
BJax24 said:
that he can hit
Sandberg in 16 seasons

2386 hits
403 2B
76 3B
282 HR
1061 RBIs
Career BA .285
344 Stolen Bases

9 Gold Gloves
1 MVP

Kent in 13 seasons

1886 Hits
431 2B
42 3B
296 HR
1189 RBIs
Career BA .289
79 Stolen Bases

1 MVP

----
Jeff Kent has better power numbers, but average is comparable, and Ryno blows him away both defensively and with his stolen bases.

Not to mention Kent was really only productive batting next to Bonds in the lineup and more recently Houston's offensive powerhouse. Look at his NYM numbers where he didn't have the same protection in the lineup.

Oh yeah - Sandberg was playing before the ball magically started flying out of the park 60-70 times a year for some guys.

Another point: Sandberg made an impact on how second-base is played. Look at the prototypical second-baseman before and after Sandberg.

Sandberg was way better.

Last edited:

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
monk said:
Anybody? That was easy.
:D Too easy, monk?

I have always liked Sandberg. Kent on the other hand is a pain in the.....well, lets just say that Kent's ego and selfish attitude about everything gets in the way of my ever giving him kudos. Personally, I think he is a jerk.

Ryne Sandberg, on the other hand, was a great player who was revered by all his teammates. So, not only was Sandberg an all around better player, he was a great guy as well. Ryne gets my vote!!

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
slugking50 said:
As a biased Giants fan Id have to say Kent;)

Hey monk.... That Richard Belzer?
Hey, I am a biased Giants fan too, but I couldn't have been happier when Kent left for the Astros. It isn't like I have to like every individual player...especially when that player isn't on the team anymore. :p

slugking50 said:
As a biased Giants fan Id have to say Kent;)

Hey monk.... That Richard Belzer?
I guess bias is the only way to pick Kent.

My avatr is Stephen Hawkings, although there is a Ricard Belzer resembelence. The Hawkings giveaway is the 4ft height.

Monk, it was too easy. Next time I suggest players for whom there would be serious competition. Sandberg is one of the best 2nd basemen of all time. Kent's not even the best at his position now.

Now, compare Al Kaline and Vladimir Guerrero. That's a tough one.

El Duque said:
Monk, it was too easy. Next time I suggest players for whom there would be serious competition. Sandberg is one of the best 2nd basemen of all time. Kent's not even the best at his position now.

Now, compare Al Kaline and Vladimir Guerrero. That's a tough one.
I did this because someone daid Kent was better in another thread and since it was in a basketball forum, I was unable to stomp that notion into the ground so I used this forum to make my point. You can't imagine my disbelief when a few more people actually picked Kent.