Ken Catanella gone as assistant GM

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I didn't believe it until Ham confirmed it.
jk

But I thought KC was pretty instrumental in some of our team friendly signings and will miss that creativity. I'm not sure he was a talent evaluation guy though, so hopefully we still have a cap wizard that works well with Monte.

I don’t pretend to know much about any of these front office people. Beyond hearsay in media circles, I don’t believe anyone here does.

That said, if Catanella was invaluable or irreplaceable, I don’t believe McNair lets him walk.

Perhaps McNair sees him as part of the front office power seesaw that allegedly has been a big a problem? Perhaps he hasn’t been the asset we were led to believe he’d be?

Whatever the truth actually is, it’s clear McNair doesn’t see him as part of the solution going forward. If we’re gonna trust McNair with the future of the franchise and he is indeed the guy in charge with no interference from Vivek, then we need to trust his decision making here.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Another possibility here is that it just represents a shift in philosophy. I saw someone on twitter say he was forced on the Kings because of the Philly swap deal - I am not sure I buy that, but needless to say Vlade was convinced he could build the Kings through FA and it bit us in the butt. I don't think Monte shares that philosophy, he seems pretty keen on drafting for value and then flipping when the opportunity is there, and his FA acquisitions have been pretty low key. A lot of buy low if not minimum deals where cap wizardry hasn't proven a useful skill. He got Holmes for less than many people were predicting, but it's still a typical annual raise deal and Fox got the max that is the standard for young talent.

So it may be nothing nefarious other than his skillset not being a good match for the current and future direction of the team.

When I first read this, I really wondered why we would fire our cap wizard. Yeah monte could prob handle it but why not keep the focus on talent evaluation and let the cap guy deal with that. Then I remember this part of the article from a couple days ago about everyone trying to undermine vlade when he was GM. One name on there stood out cuz I never thought he was more than the “capologist”

The source said the revolving door of players, coaches and executives created a culture of chaos where change was constant, direction was lacking and decision-making power shifted depending on who shared Ranadive’s views. Vlade Divac served as general manager from March 2015 to August 2020, but at various times his power was usurped by special advisor Joe Dumars and assistant general managers Ken Catanella, Scott Perry and Brandon Williams, the source said. “If it wasn’t someone getting fired, it was someone else getting hired or someone else getting power, becoming a decision-maker,” he said. “It was everybody from Vlade to Ken to Scott Perry to Brandon Williams to Joe Dumars. That list is just kind of crazy. Every summer, someone else had juice. It was never the guy who actually held the title. It just reminds me of the Brandon Williams situation where you’ve got one guy running the show internally and another guy holds the title.”

Read more at:
https://www.sacbee.com/sports/nba/sacramento-kings/article260250635.html#storylink=cpy

All the media guys out there have nothing but good things to say about the guy so I kinda feel bad pointing this out but maybe there’s a chance monte needs to clean house and get rid of people who might get in the way of him doing his job.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
When I first read this, I really wondered why we would fire our cap wizard. Yeah monte could prob handle it but why not keep the focus on talent evaluation and let the cap guy deal with that. Then I remember this part of the article from a couple days ago about everyone trying to undermine vlade when he was GM. One name on there stood out cuz I never thought he was more than the “capologist”

The source said the revolving door of players, coaches and executives created a culture of chaos where change was constant, direction was lacking and decision-making power shifted depending on who shared Ranadive’s views. Vlade Divac served as general manager from March 2015 to August 2020, but at various times his power was usurped by special advisor Joe Dumars and assistant general managers Ken Catanella, Scott Perry and Brandon Williams, the source said. “If it wasn’t someone getting fired, it was someone else getting hired or someone else getting power, becoming a decision-maker,” he said. “It was everybody from Vlade to Ken to Scott Perry to Brandon Williams to Joe Dumars. That list is just kind of crazy. Every summer, someone else had juice. It was never the guy who actually held the title. It just reminds me of the Brandon Williams situation where you’ve got one guy running the show internally and another guy holds the title.”

Read more at: https://www.sacbee.com/sports/nba/sacramento-kings/article260250635.html#storylink=cpy

All the media guys out there have nothing but good things to say about the guy so I kinda feel bad pointing this out but maybe there’s a chance monte needs to clean house and get rid of people who might get in the way of him doing his job.
There hasn't been a deal with Ken's fingerprints on it during Monte's tenure. I am guessing less power struggle than he was there to hand hold Vlade and the new GM didn't need training wheels but he was too nice a guy to unceremoniously show the door when he was under contract.

Absolutely fine with it. It's hard to know exactly what Ken had his hands on, although his rep seems pretty great around the league. Regardless; let Monte make this his show (which seems to be the case this off-season...finally). Let him build his power structure `00% his way, so we know if things go bad, it's on him. This tear down should have happened 2 years ago, but hey, KANGZ are always behind the 8-ball when doing things properly.