Keegan “KEEGAN MURRAY” Murray

Sadly he has some big slump lately and we need different Keegan....
I don’t know if I’d call it a slump it’s more just kinda weird circumstances. He had 33 a few games ago and then was great in the beginning of the Cavs game before being iced out. Then tonight he was making great passes early and playing good defense just not really shooting. Then the fouls got out of hand and Lyles was hot. Decided to roll with Lyles and KVon later. Still needs to be more consistent though

I don’t know if I’d call it a slump it’s more just kinda weird circumstances. He had 33 a few games ago and then was great in the beginning of the Cavs game before being iced out. Then tonight he was making great passes early and playing good defense just not really shooting. Then the fouls got out of hand and Lyles was hot. Decided to roll with Lyles and KVon later. Still needs to be more consistent though
The big issue with Keegan this season in attack is that for 50 games he has 15/17 excellent games 3/5 ok and all rest are crap ...
Can not say nothing about his D last and this season , this one he is excellent , but his A is not at same level...

And another no show
I wonder why. Is he less skilled now, or just on occasion? Sophomore slump (as mentioned by others)?

Is there the temper issue that was posted awhile back? If so, what is he angry about? Even the very rare and occasional smile is gone now. (Note: Fox and Sabonis are laughing and smiling a lot less also in games it seems.)

Puzzling.

And another no show
On offense. He was one of the few playing defense and a couple of those fouls were weak at best. One of them was when Ivey blew by someone and he had to come over to help last second.

He actually started off strong and had like 4 assists in 1Q and played a nice 2-man game with Domas.

I don’t know why he has been relegated to lasts year’s role the past couple games of “stand in the corner” on offense. He had 3 shots + 1 oop attempt he was only able to get 1 hand on.

Tough stretch offensively, but I don’t know if this is any worse than guys scoring but not playing defense… other than it isn’t visible in a box score.

On offense. He was one of the few playing defense and a couple of those fouls were weak at best. One of them was when Ivey blew by someone and he had to come over to help last second.

He actually started off strong and had like 4 assists in 1Q and played a nice 2-man game with Domas.

I don’t know why he has been relegated to lasts year’s role the past couple games of “stand in the corner” on offense. He had 3 shots + 1 oop attempt he was only able to get 1 hand on.

Tough stretch offensively, but I don’t know if this is any worse than guys scoring but not playing defense… other than it isn’t visible in a box score.
Yeah should have included on offense, but 0 points is unacceptable and constitutes a no show when his role should be their 2/3 scoring option …coupled With his recent offensive stinkers. Can’t have that. Guy should be putting up 20 a night…

I wonder why. Is he less skilled now, or just on occasion? Sophomore slump (as mentioned by others)?

Is there the temper issue that was posted awhile back? If so, what is he angry about? Even the very rare and occasional smile is gone now. (Note: Fox and Sabonis are laughing and smiling a lot less also in games it seems.)

Puzzling.
he just seems too passive imo

Puzzling.
Body language of the team since around the beginning of January has looked more like the Demarcus lead teams than the Kings of last year. Everyone looks pissed or frustrated.

Yeah should have included on offense, but 0 points is unacceptable and constitutes a no show when his role should be their 2/3 scoring option …coupled With his recent offensive stinkers. Can’t have that. Guy should be putting up 20 a night…
I agree. Definitely tough stretch and I’ve noticed his shot looks much more flat lately. It’s like he isn’t getting enough of his legs into his shots in a lot of games this year or something.

Biggest thing is his aggression. Coaches need to tell him “I want you to get to the line at least once per game or pick up an offensive foul trying to dunk on someone. Go hard and go through guys.” Something like that. Way too passive and we’ve seen how he can light it up when he actually plays aggressively. Needs to get over that hill and I’m confident he will.

I don’t think it’s anything deep outside of maybe Fox. Watch videos of practice, they are all smiling, laughing and looking about as happy as humans can be.
Hope that is true. Haven't watched practice videos but it likely is always going to be more loose and relaxed. The comradery of this team has been impressive since Sabonis arrived.

To quote Allen Iverson from years ago, "We talkin' about practice, man. Not a game". :)

I don’t think it’s anything deep outside of maybe Fox. Watch videos of practice, they are all smiling, laughing and looking about as happy as humans can be.
I haven't watched practice vids so that's good to hear. But Fox and Sabonis have definitely been more visibly frustrated the last few weeks in game, probably not on the level of the Demarcus lead teams so that may be unfair. Fox in particular looks like he doesn't want to be out there. Could be injury or something personal, but as the leader of the team his moral/mood will always have a trickle down effect. So if it's that deep he should sit for the good of the team.

I mentioned this in another thread, we need Keegan to make a Scottie Barnes jump next season if we plan on being a contender in 2-3 years. He shows flashes of brilliance, but this 6 game stretch scoring 0, 10, 5, 5, 33, 5 pts makes you wonder if he has the makeup. I understand part of his drop is related to giving Barnes more opportunities on offense. But it does make you wonder who we need him to be to start contending

I agree. Definitely tough stretch and I’ve noticed his shot looks much more flat lately. It’s like he isn’t getting enough of his legs into his shots in a lot of games this year or something...
His three-point attempts had a very flat trajectory the past two games. Usually that happens when the legs are tired. The road trip was grueling, and the schedule does not get any easier. The Kings have been and will be playing every two nights. Time to rest Keegan every now and then?

Trajectory is definitely his player development coach can address, though. If we see it, surely the coaches do, too.

I mentioned this in another thread, we need Keegan to make a Scottie Barnes jump next season if we plan on being a contender in 2-3 years. He shows flashes of brilliance, but this 6 game stretch scoring 0, 10, 5, 5, 33, 5 pts makes you wonder if he has the makeup. I understand part of his drop is related to giving Barnes more opportunities on offense. But it does make you wonder who we need him to be to start contending
Keegan doesn’t really have the aggressive instinct nor the ball handling to always be effective when his shots aren’t going in. Making a Scottie-type jump is going to be an uphill climb for him. Scottie made the All-Star due to injuries, and I can’t see Keegan getting to that point in his 3rd year.

These slumps for Keegan are frustrating. There’s been way too many games this year where he’s been a non-factor. Simply can’t happen.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
who has been the most consistent King all season? Domas. What did he attribute this to? his focus on a proper diet. Perhaps Fox and Murray should ask for Domas' chef and/or dietician

who has been the most consistent King all season? Domas. What did he attribute this to? his focus on a proper diet. Perhaps Fox and Murray should ask for Domas' chef and/or dietician
he has attributed his body fat and endurance to his diet. He’s consistent because his game is high percentage close to the basket shots, rebounding and distributing. Easier to be consistent in those things than in shooting or iso creation.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
he has attributed his body fat and endurance to his diet. He’s consistent because his game is high percentage close to the basket shots, rebounding and distributing. Easier to be consistent in those things than in shooting or iso creation.
sure. as a big man, he takes a beating by being close to the basket and constantly setting hard screens, running the point, boxing out to get his double doubles, etc. I won't sit here and say I know what those two consume but if a big man with all that weight can endure all the things he does, then I start questioning diet first, among other things such as proper rest, recovery and mental training