Joerger and Divac recap the season

I said a long time ago that Cousins was never going to be able to lead this team anywhere. I still believe that and a change had to be made. The Kings somehow manage to be poor at making trades as well as drafting players, and so another below average season goes by. Nothing has really changed except now there is no complaining, and there is an attempt to play defense. The Kings have the best shooting team they have had in 10 years. They have some great re bounders but are weak inside. They don't need to tank on purpose because they have managed to be not very competitive for a long time.

I loved this press conference, and the camradarie between Vlade and Coach is great to see from a stability perspective. How far we've come! I like what is being built, that there is now opportunity to shore up some serious needs, and that we have a team of guys worth rooting for! If Vivek doesn't screw it up, we should be able to keep building towards the team we DREAM. The right pieces are in place, and more are on the way.

MK

I agree that there seems to be a lot less angst in watching the kings since the trade. There seems to be genuine excitement at the games by the fans.

I know that when a team plays together good things happen and these kings really seem to like playing with each other.

I really hope Vivek is patient and gives vlade the 2 years he requests to reshape this team in his image. I think the kings will be competitive a lot sooner than a lot of people think. :)

GO KINGS!!! :cool:

I feel like all the positivity comes from us having zero expectations.

With Cuz, a tremendous talent, we all wanted playoffs. Now we're kinda like, "we'll suck, let's enjoy the suck.".

I guess that's cool? I dunno. Obviously I'm a die hard, or else I'd be outta here. So **** it. Hurray for the future.
I couldn't agree more.

SLAB

Hall of Famer

With Cuz, a tremendous talent, we all wanted playoffs. Now we're kinda like, "we'll suck, let's enjoy the suck.".

I guess that's cool? I dunno. Obviously I'm a die hard, or else I'd be outta here. So **** it. Hurray for the future.
That's a great post.

I don't know you personally, of course, but your online persona is certainly inclined to embrace doom and gloom at every opportunity.
:D
Oh well I guess it's cool the way it is, because your online persona is all about neverending optimism. Helps to keep the balance on this board.

For me it just isn't a great thing, when all the GM can talk about is, how excited he is that players are having fun and how happy he is, that they learn something new every day. Not with the way everything played out this season.
Make the trade before the season and get decent value and I may be a bit disgruntled but nontheless excited, that we move in a different direction and our GM somehow shows he has a clear longterm vision for this team. But don't act like Vlade did and expect me to hop on board only due to a few warm words and lots of promises. Now I take a step back and simply focus on results and so far, despite the common narrative on this board, results are not there.

We are 8-17 after the trade and we only beat 3 teams trying to compete and only in 1 of those 3 wins all rookies played a major role. So results in terms of wins and losses are not there (of course this wasn't the goal). Results in regards to the best possible draft pick are also not there.
So to sum it up, all we have to root for are signs of improvement from our young players. But this only works, when you lower your expectations to a point, where a simple hook shot or a turnaround jumpshot are a reason to get excited about. This has nothing to do with actual basketball and results, but only with the low expectations.
We can talk all we want about great team spirit and how those guys are a family, but those things aren't measureable, highly subjective and we all don't know how things were before the trade.
If you put excitement about the young players (and some excitement is well deserved) and not measureable things like team spirit aside, it's obvious, that the Kings missed every goal possible this season. But our GM is obviously shaping the narrative in a much more positive way.
This is "clever" rhetoric but nothing else.

Exactly!!! Thank you!

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

gunks

Hall of Famer
Dave Joerger‏Verified account@CoachJoerger 34m34 minutes ago
More
Just want to say thank you to our Kings fans. So great getting to know many of you. Your loyalty and passion is amazing and humbling.

Dave Joerger‏Verified account@CoachJoerger 32m32 minutes ago
More
I knew Sacramento had amazing fans but you never truly feel the magnitude of the love between this team and city until you live here.
I'll say this for our rebuild. ... I'm glad we have this classy cat as HC!

Between Vlade's drafting and the coaching staff's ability to develop the youth, I'm slightly more optimistic about this rebuild than the last six we've had to slog through.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
hahaha. ahh vivek our quintessential oxymoron of an owner...

the less he says now and onwards is probably for the better
I'd just like to point out that Vivek has been noticeably quiet for months. I truly believe this is intentional and he has, in fact, finally realized sometimes it's best to say nothing.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
:D
Oh well I guess it's cool the way it is, because your online persona is all about neverending optimism. Helps to keep the balance on this board.
I've been a Kings fan since 1985. During all those years, there were a mere handful where the Kings didn't suck. If I hadn't learned to be optimistic a long time ago when it comes to the Kings, I would have ceased to follow them. I can't even imagine how social media fans would have dealt with the Kings in the 80s and 90s. Of course, to be honest, Sacramento fans were just ecstatic to have a team to call our own and we loved them regardless. Once the Kings actually made it to the upper echelons of the NBA, it became harder for some to accept anything less.

I'd just like to point out that Vivek has been noticeably quiet for months. I truly believe this is intentional and he has, in fact, finally realized sometimes it's best to say nothing.
really hope so but he does go through cycles where he does/says something stupid and then goes quiet for a bit only to reappear.

We'll see what happens.

And dear god can someone keep him the hell out of the draft war room ? Seriously just let the guys do their jobs

I think being positive is the only way for them to go right now. They have a lot of young guys who worked hard and took steps forward this season and need to take many more steps forward for the team to succeed. I think it only makes sense to focus on those positives and not dwell on all the garbage from the past that can't be fixed right now.

With that said I completely understand fans being negative and not buying into any of the hope. The Kings have been bad for more than a decade and fans have been told every off-season that there's hope only to see the franchise find some way to disappoint and most of the time it's because of stupid organizational decisions. I'm a positive and optimistic guy but when it comes to the Kings I'm in a perpetual state of waiting for another shoe to drop (the Kings have a lot of feet apparently).

Krunker

Northernmost Kings Fan
I've been a Kings fan since 1985. During all those years, there were a mere handful where the Kings didn't suck..
You beat me by a year, I started being a kings fan in 1986 and everyone knew our team with the likes of Terry Tyler and Joe Kleine wasn't gonna go anywhere. I'll take our current rookies and their potential over those days of misery!

You beat me by a year, I started being a kings fan in 1986 and everyone knew our team with the likes of Terry Tyler and Joe Kleine wasn't gonna go anywhere. I'll take our current rookies and their potential over those days of misery!
Except the year before (first year in Sac) Kings made playoffs with likes of Reggie Theus, Eddie Johnson, Mike Woodson, etc. It whetted our appetite but then long strange trip to nowhere before the Glory Days beginning 1999 and for few years after.

just sucks that we've already done 10 years of waiting and now we have God knows how long

optimism never leaves me, but ugh
IMV nothing here sucks. Please try hard to enjoy the team we have and will have next year. I have a 30+ year history with the Kibgs and do like me, forget the last 10 years or 20 years, we are here now and we have an ever changing Kings team.