Jason Hart!

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
DefinitionA hip pointer refers to a direct contact injury to the iliac crest of the pelvis. The iliac crest is commonly known as the "hip bone", a misnomer.

Picture of Pelvis with Iliac Crest HighlightedDetailsThe term hip pointer is somewhat confusing. It can refer to a deep bruise of the muscle and bone, a small chip fracture or even a complete break. Typically, however, this term refers to a severe bruise and not a fracture.CausesHip pointers are caused by a direct blow to the side of the hip and pelvis. They are most commonly associated with football but can be seen in almost any contact sport. Spearing the hip/pelvis with a helmet while tackling may be the most common cause.DiagnosisHip pointers present with a history of a contact injury in the area. Pain and tenderness along the crest of pelvis is also seen. The patient may walk with a limp and have difficulty moving the hip away from the body against resistance. X-rays are taken to rule out fractures. Occasionally, further studies may be indicated if the patient's symptoms do not improve with treatment.TreatmentNon operative: Initial treatment consists of icing, compression and rest. Anti-inflammatory medication and gentle stretching should begin at about 48 hours after the injury. A personalized program of strengthening, flexibility and coordination exercises is then designed for the patient. If the bruising of the muscle and bone from the injury is severe, however, return to full activity may take several weeks.

Operative:
Surgery is very rarely indicated. It is usually reserved for patients with significant displacement of fractures of bone where the muscles attach around the pelvis.PreventionMaintaining excellent flexibility, strength and endurance of the hip, pelvis and lower back muscles may prevent some hip pointers. Most, however, are the unfortunate result of significant contact and are not preventable.

I hope he is alright. I wish they could at least not tone down their play in preseason, so much at risk. Sacramento is indeed a taboo city when it comes to injuries

hanchiho said:
how did he get hurt?? can someone describe that situation?
He ran towards the basket and the Denver C either knee'd him on the hip when hart drove around him, or clipped with his own hip.

It wasn't a straight on hit, but more like a clipping of the side.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
PoweTheShow said:
I hope he is alright. I wish they could at least not tone down their play in preseason, so much at risk. Sacramento is indeed a taboo city when it comes to injuries
Oh please... It was a fluke injury as a direct result of a collison. That can happen anywhere at any time.

Tone down play in pre-season? Why not just wrap them all in bubble wrap? It's an injury; it's unfortunate but it happens.

SacTownKid said:
He ran towards the basket and the Denver C either knee'd him on the hip when hart drove around him, or clipped with his own hip.

It wasn't a straight on hit, but more like a clipping of the side.
thank you!!

Fillmoe said:
the announcer said it looked like a dislocated hip
No way...he'd have been completely unable to walk at all, let alone dribble halfway up the court.

My guess is either a deep bruise or a strain of a muscle responsible for rotating the torso. It looked to me like it was fine as long as he was moving forward, but as soon as he attempted to cross over and rotate to his right, he was in some pretty serious pain.

I'm no doctor...just a science teacher with a gut feeling. ;)

I hope it's just a hip pointer. At first I was really concerned it was something major. His reaction on the court seemed like he was dying. heh

Hart suffers hip pointer, likely to miss two games

By Sam Amick -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PDT Wednesday, October 19, 2005
Story appeared in Sports section, Page C4

[font=verdana,geneva,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]It finally happened. [/font]

A King went down in agony, injured during the preseason when things were going so smoothly.

[font=verdana,geneva,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Backup point guard Jason Hart became the first official entry on the medical list, suffering a left hip pointer in the waning seconds of the Kings' 102-99 preseason loss to Denver that will likely keep him out of this weekend's games against Portland and Phoenix. [/font]

Hart, the first-year King who could be called the most consistent performer of this preseason, was kneed by Denver center Eric Chenowith late in the fourth quarter, buckling to the floor as play continued. When a timeout was called, Hart returned, then laid down in pain as time expired. Trainer Pete Youngman and guard Francisco GarcĂ­a had to carry Hart into the locker room.

"I was going to take him out (after he was kneed), but he said he felt OK when he walked over, that he felt fine," Adelman said. "They'll have to evaluate in the next couple days and see where it's at. It's swelling already, and he's getting ice on it. Hopefully it's not serious."

The inadvertent benefactors in the situation could be point guards Ronnie Price and Luis Flores, who continue to compete for the spot behind Hart. Adelman said Hart's absence means the Kings will need both Price and Flores even more, with the extra minutes allowing Adelman to further evaluate each player during games and to not rush Hart's return. [font=verdana,geneva,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]"The thing about a guy like Jason is I know already that he's a tough kid, and he's going to want to get out there," Adelman said. [/font]

Well two games isn't terrible like a month or 3 weeks... He'll miss Portland and Phoenix G1. Price hopefully can show how he was in the VSL, and why Petrie wanted to draft him, and Flores can show his talent.