James Ham let go from NBC Sports Kings Insider position

I never understood how the guy landed the gig in the 1st place, let alone kept it.
I was told by a few who were approached about the position. They were both offered the position but the work hours and especially the pay was not worth it so they both turned it down. Both told me the position was not worth it.

He was not NBC's first or second choice. NBC was also looking for someone to post articles (blogs) online.

As someone told me, being a fanboy in your 40s in not the best career move.

I was told by a few who were approached about the position. They were both offered the position but the work hours and especially the pay was not worth it so they both turned it down. Both told me the position was not worth it.

He was not NBC's first or second choice. NBC was also looking for someone to post articles (blogs) online.

As someone told me, being a fanboy in your 40s in not the best career move.
Makes more sense now. More like a “pay to participate” situation.

Nothing personal against the guy, but I just didn’t think he was very good at it nor did he have a likeable on-air personality. His writing never impressed me either. Not saying I’m right, but I always got a vibe from him that he was impressed with himself and thought he was a bigger deal than he was.

The opposite of say, Jerry Reynolds who never took himself very seriously even though he had a bit more reason to. Also the friendliest, nicest guy despite being a local celebrity.

Makes more sense now. More like a “pay to participate” situation.

Nothing personal against the guy, but I just didn’t think he was very good at it nor did he have a likeable on-air personality. His writing never impressed me either. Not saying I’m right, but I always got a vibe from him that he was impressed with himself and thought he was a bigger deal than he was.

The opposite of say, Jerry Reynolds who never took himself very seriously even though he had a bit more reason to. Also the friendliest, nicest guy despite being a local celebrity.
The others who were offered the position had other jobs and were not willingly to quit their current jobs or take on this position in addition to their current jobs. That's how low the pay was.

Why do you think he was not very good at his job? Or not have a likeable on-air personality? His writing not being good? I have my own opinions but am interested in reading yours.

During my experience working with him early on in the arena relocation saga was he came off as a used car salesman so your opinion of him is something I agree with.

When we were filming the documentary, he kept bringing up of how he wanted to host a Kings pre-game and post game show like Koz did with House Party Live. I just kept thinking to myself I'm trying to figure out ways to show support, educate the community and most of all provide political cover in favor of a new downtown arena and all you keep bringing up is a dream job for yourself.

Speaking of Jerry Reynolds, yes he is a down to Earth person. You should hear him use curse words when he tells stories. It's quite a fun experience. :)

Why do you think he was not very good at his job? Or not have a likeable on-air personality? His writing not being good? I have my own opinions but am interested in reading yours.
I mean, I don't really want to pile on the guy. For all I know he reads/posts on this forum. I don't know him and only was around him a few times. Most of the vibe I got was listening to him interview players, his social media posts, and his on-air/online reports. I could have him pegged completely wrong. But throughout my life I've had a knack for reading and seeing through people. So I tend to trust my instincts.

As for his reporting, I just never felt he added or provided anything most avid fans didn't already know. He just had access to players/coaches/staff that fans didn't. But his knowledge and insight about players and the game never seemed to me to be at the same level as many of our members here at KF.

Just my opinion on it.

But I do appreciate his enthusiasm for the KINGS and the fact that he roots for our team.

Speaking of Jerry Reynolds, yes he is a down to Earth person. You should hear him use curse words when he tells stories. It's quite a fun experience. :)
I don't recall him ever cursing, but I talked to him numerous times before KINGS games. The coolest was when my wife, son and I attended a game against the Clippers in LA a few years ago. We were seated a few rows behind the KINGS bench and I was wearing my C-Webb football jersey. He came over to us and chatted for a few minutes. A little while later he and Grant were standing on the court getting ready to go live on TV and he spotted us again, smiled and nodded.

You don't get that from most. Dude is just super humble and cool.

Last time I chatted with him was before the pandemic hit and games cancelled. He was hanging out at his usual pre-game spot where they do the pregame live and he was chatting it up with everyone. He remembered us from the LA game a few years earlier. Crazy.

I mean, I don't really want to pile on the guy. For all I know he reads/posts on this forum. I don't know him and only was around him a few times. Most of the vibe I got was listening to him interview players, his social media posts, and his on-air/online reports. I could have him pegged completely wrong. But throughout my life I've had a knack for reading and seeing through people. So I tend to trust my instincts.
I completely understand.

As for his reporting, I just never felt he added or provided anything most avid fans didn't already know. He just had access to players/coaches/staff that fans didn't. But his knowledge and insight about players and the game never seemed to me to be at the same level as many of our members here at KF.
You hit the nail on the head. Plus for an insider by job title, he never broke any actual insider news. Just confirmed it after many others reported it first or knew about it in advance before it was reported.

Just my opinion on it.

But I do appreciate his enthusiasm for the KINGS and the fact that he roots for our team.
That's cool.

I don't recall him ever cursing, but I talked to him numerous times before KINGS games. The coolest was when my wife, son and I attended a game against the Clippers in LA a few years ago. We were seated a few rows behind the KINGS bench and I was wearing my C-Webb football jersey. He came over to us and chatted for a few minutes. A little while later he and Grant were standing on the court getting ready to go live on TV and he spotted us again, smiled and nodded.

You don't get that from most. Dude is just super humble and cool.

Last time I chatted with him was before the pandemic hit and games cancelled. He was hanging out at his usual pre-game spot where they do the pregame live and he was chatting it up with everyone. He remembered us from the LA game a few years earlier. Crazy.
That was some cool stories you shared with us. G-Man is the same way if he sees you around. Love them both.

Sometime ago I was with a few others in Jerry's office in the old practice facility. He told us lots of stories and used some colorful language but he was not in a bad mood. It was actually funny listening to him. Definitely a treat to experience that.

I completely understand.
G-Man is the same way if he sees you around. Love them both.
I've never met G-Man, but been listening to him since I was 14 when the KINGS first arrived in town. The old Dave Grosby days.

I do follow G-Man on Twitter and he often takes time to acknowledge and like my tweets/replies. I don't find that to be all that common either. He definitely strikes me as you say.

Tangentially, I found local beat writers Joe Davidson and and the late great Marty McNeal to be very down-to-earth and cool too. I was granted access to the KINGS practice facility for media days back when the KINGS faced the Mavs during the 2004 playoffs. Both those guys took time to help me out, as I was new to the process. And Marty actually agreed to do an interview with me that I still have recorded but never actually wrote up and published.

Interesting side note was meeting Al Michaels and Doc Rivers who were covering the game, and Mark Cuban who was standing next to me fiddling with his new smartphone (which I actually helped him out with) during the Mavs practice in the actual Arena. Marty Mac walked me in with him past security, as I don't think I was actually supposed to go in there.

Very cool and memorable time.

I've never met G-Man, but been listening to him since I was 14 when the KINGS first arrived in town. The old Dave Grosby days.

I do follow G-Man on Twitter and he often takes time to acknowledge and like my tweets/replies. I don't find that to be all that common either. He definitely strikes me as you say.
You need to meet G-Man at some point soon. He's one of the nicest people that I have met in my entire life. Very humble and super cool.

Tangentially, I found local beat writers Joe Davidson and and the late great Marty McNeal to be very down-to-earth and cool too. I was granted access to the KINGS practice facility for media days back when the KINGS faced the Mavs during the 2004 playoffs. Both those guys took time to help me out, as I was new to the process. And Marty actually agreed to do an interview with me that I still have recorded but never actually wrote up and published.
Joe Davidson is an excellent writer and reporter. A pro's pro. Marty McNeal is hilarious. He keeps it real with you. No sugar coating anything from him. That's cool that they both took the time to help you out and answer any questions you had.

Marty once followed me on Twitter because I tweeted a picture of us with Webber from media day so long ago. Marty said he loved that picture of himself and he followed me.

I'll throw in Gregg Bell and Mark Kreidler as two more professional writers and reporters. They do awesome work and I was able to do a job shadow with Gregg for an A's vs Giants game. He also allowed an opportunity for a friend to join me as we were given press passes, introduced to others, sat in the press box, had some lunch (hot dog, popcorn and soda) and went into both locker rooms. It was an experience I will never forget but what Mark told me was the best advice and that was if this sports writing gig became a job to me and took the fun out of being a fan then it was time to get out and move on. I took his advice to heart and half way through my internship with KHTK I knew this was not the correct career path for me. I earned my second bachelor's in journalism but decided to try out a career in law enforcement but was also taking prerequisites in graduate school. I decided to continue with graduate school and left the police academy.

I'm much happier now as my career allows me the freedom to do my work, I'm a professional, make a positive difference in so many lives, give back to the community, and live my best life.

Sam Amick is another pro's pro, an awesome writer and reporter and dude has so many sources. In the past I have asked him on a few occasions to speak to college students and that was so cool of him to do that.

Interesting side note was meeting Al Michaels and Doc Rivers who were covering the game, and Mark Cuban who was standing next to me fiddling with his new smartphone (which I actually helped him out with) during the Mavs practice in the actual Arena. Marty Mac walked me in with him past security, as I don't think I was actually supposed to go in there.

Very cool and memorable time.
That's hilarious Marty got you in. That's the kind of street cred he has. Or is that arena cred? Either way good on him for helping you along the way.

That's how life should be. Helping each other and being kind to one another.