Its time Maloof's...Fire Petrie! (merged)

This is the thing that people do not realise! There was only 1, maybe 2 players in the draft that would address the need for interior defence and rebounding. Surprise, surprise, those two players were selected at 1 and 3.

What we did was pick someone with an eye on the long term future. Not next season. Who ever we picked at 10 today wasn't going to be a MAJOR contributor next season. We picked a player with a view of what our team will be in 2-4 years time. We had a SG position solved. We might have a SF position covered but the rest was all pretty much up in the air. We needed to get a big guy and we did. He was the best big guy available at 10. We took him.

According to Petrie we talked to every team in front of us other than the top 3 picks about us moving up. Today, Petrie spoke to Charlotte to move to pick 8. He even had an offer from team below us wanting to trade up to our pick to select Hawes.

Point is, we shoudln't be judging this pick as whether or not it addresses our current needs, but whether its a young piece to put in the bank for the future.

Sure he has some weaknesses to his game which is pretty much expected with anyone you pick at 10.

Right now we have some young pieces going forward. Forget Miller, SAR, Thomas, Artest, Bibby et al... those guys are not part of the LONG TERM FUTURE which clearly Hawes is. Whether he is going to be an All-Star C in his prime or whether he is going to be a nice starter at that position is debatable. Big guys just don't grow on trees. Especially not skilled 7'1", 19 year old big guys.

He averaged almost 2 bpg in 28mpg. That could translate into the NBA but he is not as useless as some people here make him out to be. This pick is about what he can do for us in the long term future, not next season or the season after.

How long is this "Long Term Future" you speak of?... because I'm not really down with going through the 90's again.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I have ansolutely nothing against Hawes. From what I've seen he's a great offensive weapon and a great post play. Is he a good player? You bet. Does he address the Kings' issues in any way? Nope. We needed someone to defend the paint (since none of our big men can, except Justin Williams), and Hawes has no defensive skills. We needed a shotblocker and a rebounder, and Hawes doesn't provide that either. So what do we have next year? Another year of lay-up drills in our paint? You are very right though, a team manager probably knows better what he's doing, but from a fan standpoint, many of us don't see any positives from this pick. Plus, Theus wants a run 'n gun team, and Hawes probably won't be useful at it either, since he's big and slow. But I'm sure Petrie knows what he's doing. Do you, VF, think he's gonna pull something out of his hat before next season starts?
1. Does he address the Kings' issues? You said no, but you're assuming we maintain the status quo.

2. Do I think Petrie is going to pull something out of his hat before next season starts? Depends on what you're expecting so see come out of the hat.

Captain bill made an excellent post earlier in this thread that had an excellent comment in it. Our rebuilding isn't over as of today. We have a lot more work to do. It's not going to happen quickly.

I like the idea of Hawes joining our young group of Kevin, Cisco, Douby, Price and Williams. Add in a couple of mid-veteran players and you have a team that just needs a piece or two to climb right back up the ladder.

From what I've heard already, Hawes has the character, work ethic and commitment to improve that we've seen in the guys picked by Petrie recently. I do not think this is a bad pick. And I think it could end up being a very good pick.

Hawes is an AWFUL pick. This guy is the next freaking Joe Kleine or Chris Mihm. He isn't the next Vlade or even Miller. He's CHRIS FREAKING MIHM with a political attitude. This guy sucks. I hate this pick. I HATE this pick.
At least we have an identity again. A good argument could be made that we are now the most unathletic team in the NBA.

When the pick was announced, I was in the middle of a 7-hour drive, so I got through the loudly swearing stage while I was in the car, and had a chance to think about things while I drove. I also got to listen to the first couple of hours of the Carmichael Dave show, where caller after caller used words like "sickening" to describe this pick. The theme of the show was whether the time had come for Petrie to go.

I'm really too upset and disappointed to want to say anything more at this point. I am losing hope.

At least we have an identity again. A good argument could be made that we are now the most unathletic team in the NBA.

When the pick was announced, I was in the middle of a 7-hour drive, so I got through the loudly swearing stage while I was in the car, and had a chance to think about things while I drove. I also got to listen to the first couple of hours of the Carmichael Dave show, where caller after caller used words like "sickening" to describe this pick. The theme of the show was whether the time had come for Petrie to go.

I'm really too upset and disappointed to want to say anything more at this point. I am losing hope.
lol Yeah I listened to some of Carmichael Dave when I was coming back from playing basketball at the park. He is the only guy on KHTK who keeps it real. Everyone else just tries to hype up this stupid pick.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Oh come on - BMiller52. This is just getting silly. Spencer Hawes is now a player on the Sacramento Kings. He deserves the same chance to prove himself we've given every other player that comes to our team. Why wouldn't people be optimistic? Crying over spilt milk gets really old really quickly.

lol Yeah I listened to some of Carmichael Dave when I was coming back from playing basketball at the park. He is the only guy on KHTK who keeps it real. Everyone else just tries to hype up this stupid pick.
Are you serious?!

I have listened to KHTK online ever since the start of the draft and this guy you are talking about is the biggest cretin I have ever heard on talkback radio and I have heard some real nuff nuffs over the years.

This guy makes Grant Napier sound like Albert Einstein!

Are you serious?!

I have listened to KHTK online ever since the start of the draft and this guy you are talking about is the biggest cretin I have ever heard on talkback radio and I have heard some real nuff nuffs over the years.

I agree this dude Carmichael dope Dave is a silly clown and worse. His show is a classless boring joke. Tonight, he had a 13 year old caller that he complimented who was more poised, interesting and informative than 95% of what comes out of dope Dave's foolish mouth. The kid made the 30 something dope Dave seem like a 9 year old which is not hard to do.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
It's interesting that this pick precipitated this question. I can fault Petrie for some other things he's done, but not this pick. It's way too premature to say this is a lousy choice. In fact, based on Petrie's draft decisions, we should give him the benefit of the doubt on this draft. I really believe that Artest is one of the major reasons for the Kings inaction on draft day. The Maloofs are primarily to blame for Artest, with Petrie coming in second. Here you have an "asset" with no value. Does anybody really think that Petrie wasn't trying his best to deal him? No takers. I bet he offered Artest to just go 2 slots up to draft B. Wright, but the Bobs didn't want him. Nobody did. Petrie has virtually no ammo. We'll see what happens with Bibby. Maybe his contract status had something to do with his not being traded. Maybe it didn't. I pray that we can get value in return because if he isn't viewed as valuable, we have nobody else to deal.

@ things.

1. GP had Hawes as his third choice behind BRandon Wright and Joquim Noah. The previous 2 went.

2. GP was very busy on the phone yesterday. He wanted to trade spots with Charlotte and another team because he knew the Bulls were going to take Noah but it didnt work out.

Are you serious?!

I'm guessing his show goes over your head or your just a tad too old for it. ..... Its 9- midnight. The show format HAS to be different from the afternoon shift. YOu cant be all serious at that time of night.