Is It Time To Turn Over The Reins To Doug Christie?

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I want the aggressiveness for sure. The not willing to sit and fester. When Vlade goofed and signed guys like Dedmon he got out of it ASAP. He didn't wait until another Jason Thompson happened. That's what this team needs more than ever if they aren't willing to rebuild.
I want freaking competence, SacTownKid. C O M P E T E N C E. How about intelligence? How about common sense? How about judgement? And a little courage wouldn't hurt either. Aggressiveness fits in there with with judgement. Aggressiveness without judgement is stupidity, and I've seen absolutely enough of that with the Stupid Sacto Kings to last a lifetime.

I want freaking competence, SacTownKid. C O M P E T E N C E. How about intelligence? How about common sense? How about judgement? And a little courage wouldn't hurt either. Aggressiveness fits in there with with judgement. Aggressiveness without judgement is stupidity, and I've seen absolutely enough of that with the Stupid Sacto Kings to last a lifetime.
I hear ya, but sometimes you have to tackle whats right in front of you. Right now it's just about getting out of the way of that freight train coming at them head on. If they don't, then it becomes that much harder for someone with that competence to even look their way. Picking up those pieces won't be anyone's first desire as a competent GM with intelligence. Intelligent people don't jump on other peoples grenades.

I have a couple in me, but my expert opinion is that we should give it to Doug. Otherwise we end up starting over with a new coach next season. I'd rather let Doug make lots of mistakes this year, rack up the losses, and go into next with a bit of experience coaching as well as a better draft pick. That being said, I'd rather the GM get to hire his choice of coach.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I have a couple in me, but my expert opinion is that we should give it to Doug. Otherwise we end up starting over with a new coach next season. I'd rather let Doug make lots of mistakes this year, rack up the losses, and go into next with a bit of experience coaching as well as a better draft pick. That being said, I'd rather the GM get to hire his choice of coach.
If he is an option, then you roll with him this year and find out. Either way, if you hire a new coach next year, Doug may not be around anyways.

An interim head coaching position is one of the single most thankless jobs in the entire NBA. When a head coach is fired mid-season, ownership, the front office, fans, and media outlets all typically expect a change to the quality of the product on the court. But there is little hope of delivering a substantial or sustainable improvement without adequate preparation due to the constraints of a tightly-packed 82-game season. You can't build out your own staff. There's no time. You can't overhaul the playbook. Again, there's no time. You can tinker with rotations. You can do your best to lead and motivate. You can make adjustments on the margins that ultimately will not reshape the team's fortunes. Generally speaking, a newly-minted head coach needs at least one offseason and training camp to shape a team's identity.

Time and time again, we see NBA teams who have fired head coaches mid-season win a few games during the interim's honeymoon phase only to regress to their previously-held mean. That's not to say that it's never worth it to dump an ineffective coach mid-season, but it's a fruitless enterprise to believe that a prospective first-time head coach like Doug Christie would have anything to gain from taking over an interim position from an ineffective interim head coach who himself took over the gig from another ineffective head coach. The staff around Christie would not be the same next season. The roster would likely not be the same. And the game plan on both sides of the ball may not be the same, either. If the Kings have an interest in promoting him, he should be considered during a properly-conducted head coaching search during the offseason.