is it going to be Dedmon?

Interesting career stats on Dedmon. No percentage from 3 until 2 years ago then 35.5% and last year 38.2%. Does shoot 81% from the line.

Not bad for a guy who shot 0% from 3 and 53.1% from the line in 14-15.

I guess my first question is who is his shooting coach and can we get him on the Kings. But I agree the more I look the more I like it.
If memory serves, I don't think he started playing basketball until his senior year of HS.

The Kings are better off standing pat IMO and letting some of the young guards they drafted fight it out for minutes. I guess it depends on the cost but a backup PG the likes of a Lin or Joseph aren't going to be the difference between this team taking that next step or not. It could however keep the Kings from being able to absorb a max level deal at the deadline. If the Kings are shooting for role players the last thing you want to do is junk your cap up with those types that finish off your ends before you even really know what you are in the grand scheme of things in the west. Filling your cap up with quantity over quality can lock you in perpetually. If backup PG is the difference they'd still have plenty of money to sign a lingering FA or to made a trade to fill the spot.
There's a reason why everyone says backup pg is a need. Every team has someone to let their starter rest. U can't have fox playing 48 mins every game. Depth can be the difference between winning much needed games or help incase of injury. Many complained about bogie as backup pg cuz that's not his natural position. We need a competent backup pg so might as well get one when we are so below the salary floor anyways and no guarantee we will get one in trade during the year.

Last edited:
Dedmon will help the team on offense and allow Bagley to open up his offensive game but the defense will take a hit. At best it's a lateral move at center. Upgrade on offense and downgrade on defense.

Dedmon will help the team on offense and allow Bagley to open up his offensive game but the defense will take a hit. At best it's a lateral move at center. Upgrade on offense and downgrade on defense.
From Willie? Nah, Willie's well-documented lack of rebounding and shot-blocking say differently. Great lateral defender on guards but other then that he is below average.

From Willie? Nah, Willie's well-documented lack of rebounding and shot-blocking say differently. Great lateral defender on guards but other then that he is below average.
Willie's overall defense is much better than Dedmon's overall despite Dedmon being a better shot blocker. I'm pretty sure Willie was a better rebounder last year as well but that could have just been him getting up for a contract year.

Interesting career stats on Dedmon. No percentage from 3 until 2 years ago then 35.5% and last year 38.2%. Does shoot 81% from the line.

I guess my first question is who is his shooting coach and can we get him on the Kings. But I agree the more I look the more I like it.
Dedmon is a perfect fit without breaking the bank. Makes no sense overpaying for a center in todays nba.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Hopefully they just get this out of the way ASAP.

I don’t want to miss on Horford, Dedmon goes elsewhere while we wait, then we settle for 2019 version of overpaying the George Hill of this offseason.

Am I the only one that would rather have Dedmon than Capella ? Capella can't even shoot, he may be better at rebounding and blocking shots but Dedmon doesn't seem like a slouch in that regard.

Capella will require heavy pay. Dedmon would be cheaper. Do we really think that if it were Dedmon on the Rockets instead of Capella people wouldn't be all over him ? He can kind of do it all.

Shooting is a big deal, it would open lanes for Fox.

If we can't get Horford on a deal that doesn't hamper our ability to sign our guys, just get Dedmon and try to sign another bench big (O'Quinn) and a backup pg (pat bev not likely, Joseph probably).

Then lets make the playoffs next year and shoot for another big name then.

Capella not being able to shoot and his price tag scares me.

There's a reason why everyone says backup pg is a need. Every team has someone to let their starter rest. U can't have fox playing 48 mins every game. Depth can be the difference between winning much needed games or help incase of injury. Many complained about bogie as backup pg cuz that's not his natural position. We need a competent backup pg so might as well get one when we are so below the salary floor anyways and no guarantee we will get one in trade during the year.
Bogdan can run pick and roll as well as any other option being listed here. I think going into the season with cap space and a chance to significantly improve is better than slightly improving yourself in the interim. If it's that big of a deal give it a few weeks to see how big it is. Again, this is all dependent if someone like Dedmon is the big haul or not. Getting a Horford, Harris, or Vucevic is a totally different story.

Am I the only one that would rather have Dedmon than Capella ? Capella can't even shoot, he may be better at rebounding and blocking shots but Dedmon doesn't seem like a slouch in that regard.

Capella will require heavy pay. Dedmon would be cheaper. Do we really think that if it were Dedmon on the Rockets instead of Capella people wouldn't be all over him ? He can kind of do it all.

Shooting is a big deal, it would open lanes for Fox.

If we can't get Horford on a deal that doesn't hamper our ability to sign our guys, just get Dedmon and try to sign another bench big (O'Quinn) and a backup pg (pat bev not likely, Joseph probably).

Then lets make the playoffs next year and shoot for another big name then.

Capella not being able to shoot and his price tag scares me.
I'd rather have him than Capela too. He's not the talent, athlete, or interior defender but his shooting makes a difference. Dedmon is like a center version of Bjelica in a way and we know that type of player fits with this crew.

I'd rather have him than Capela too. He's not the talent, athlete, or interior defender but his shooting makes a difference. Dedmon is like a center version of Bjelica in a way and we know that type of player fits with this crew.
What I enjoy Dedmon's game the most is exactly this by sactowndog:

Unless he got bitten by a radioactive spider, this is the hallmark of a hard worker, just like Buddy Hield. And for the love of underdog, I'll always root for someone who might otherwise have no rights to be in the conversation yet worked hard enough to be.

Willie's overall defense is much better than Dedmon's overall despite Dedmon being a better shot blocker. I'm pretty sure Willie was a better rebounder last year as well but that could have just been him getting up for a contract year.
Willy might provide more value than Dedmond besides Bjelica since Bjelica is a great floor spacer and mostly a catch and shooter. Dedmond will provide more value besides Bagley since Bagley would gave much more room to operate on low/high post and as a pick n roll screener. So in this case IMO you could easily justify paying Dedmond much more than Willy even though as players they might provide quite equal value in a vaccume.

The road map in todays NBA is 4 spacers with 1 attacker.
Dedmon is perfect in this role. Sure Id prefer a cheaper Lopez or a cheap Horford but it doesnt look like that is happening. Whatever team pays those 2 like they are prime all stars are going to lock themselves into mediocrity. Dedmon provides what they do at a fraction of the capspace.

Yes for Dedmon!!! 15 to 16 mil a year 4yr deal pls

Willy might provide more value than Dedmond besides Bjelica since Bjelica is a great floor spacer and mostly a catch and shooter. Dedmond will provide more value besides Bagley since Bagley would gave much more room to operate on low/high post and as a pick n roll screener. So in this case IMO you could easily justify paying Dedmond much more than Willy even though as players they might provide quite equal value in a vaccume.
Curious to see how it works if we do get him. It's just the lack of defense on the team in general worries me. Not that Dedmon is a terrible defender or anything but he doesn't strike fear in the opposition when roaming the paint, that's for sure.

He should help open up Fox's game as well. Any idea how Dedmon is in the pick and roll?

Curious to see how it works if we do get him. It's just the lack of defense on the team in general worries me. Not that Dedmon is a terrible defender or anything but he doesn't strike fear in the opposition when roaming the paint, that's for sure.

He should help open up Fox's game as well. Any idea how Dedmon is in the pick and roll?
Dedmond is 1.052 points per possession as a pick n roll man and thats 45th percentile so not spectacular but Bagley should get more of those possessions anyway with Dedmond spotting up more.

A lot of the defense depends wether Bagley developes from bad to average. Locking up Barnes ment that we wont have a real perimeter stopper in our starting lineup but hopefully Bagleys imorovement and depth signings will put as to near average defense while the offense could potentially be above average.

Or keep them both. Let WCS and Bjeli play together off the bench with Bogdan

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member

I really do think that the Kings will be trying to use the 3-point threat more and more. For a team pretty good at shooting it we sure seemed to be reluctant to pull the trigger at times. Having a center that can do that would be a big help with spacing.

Where is the B-52 bomber when you need him? ;)

Dedmond is 1.052 points per possession as a pick n roll man and thats 45th percentile so not spectacular but Bagley should get more of those possessions anyway with Dedmond spotting up more.

A lot of the defense depends wether Bagley developes from bad to average. Locking up Barnes ment that we wont have a real perimeter stopper in our starting lineup but hopefully Bagleys imorovement and depth signings will put as to near average defense while the offense could potentially be above average.
Looks like nba.com is saying Dedmon's at 1.28ppp at 83rd percentile with Cauley Stein at 1.15ppp at 63rd percentile. Bagley and Giles basically tied at 1.04ppp at 45 percentile. So that's looking promising although Trae Young is a better passer than Fox so that may have something to do with it.

Well the good thing is that if Dedmon is here, Bagley will be defending the 4 which he's much better at, so just keeping him away from the 5 is a good idea from the start. If they can wind up with an average defense they'll more than likely be in playoff contention but they have a ways to go to even become average.

Looks like nba.com is saying Dedmon's at 1.28ppp at 83rd percentile with Cauley Stein at 1.15ppp at 63rd percentile. Bagley and Giles basically tied at 1.04ppp at 45 percentile. So that's looking promising although Trae Young is a better passer than Fox so that may have something to do with it.

Well the good thing is that if Dedmon is here, Bagley will be defending the 4 which he's much better at, so just keeping him away from the 5 is a good idea from the start. If they can wind up with an average defense they'll more than likely be in playoff contention but they have a ways to go to even become average.
Oh yeah I might have been looking at his numbers from year ago. And you are right. Average defense would be a good accomplishment from this group. Bagley was a liability last year, Hield is probably average at best, Barnes is average and Fox is above average so the road to success for this personel looks to be high tempo spacing offense that can provide enough defense. If we arent using big money at C, I would like us to get at least one good 3&D forward so we can mach up properly in the playoffs.