Interesting take on Kings' future

I agree with much of what he says, including Keon Johnson at pick #9. He does say to both trade Bagley and keep Bagley (signing him to a new contract). Either way Bagley is a drag on this team.

I'm on the opposite side of the fence. I disagree with a lot of what he says:

1. I hate the idea of extending Bagley for 4yr/$60M. I'd rather lose him for nothing than overpay him. Maybe if he wasn't a walking injury waiting to happen or showed consistent improvement last year, but at this point I don't know why they extend him.

2. I think he's underrating how much Holmes might get offered on the open market and misjudging that Holmes wants to stay in order to get paid. I think keeping in Sacramento will require him to accept less than he's being offered elsewhere.

3. I think he's highly overvaluing our tradeable players. Would the Pacers give Warren and Lamb for Buddy? I don't think so. Brooks, who was the second best player on the Grizzlies during the play-in and playoffs, for Bagley? Why would Memphis do that? The trade scenarios seem very unlikely to me. And losing Barnes for Precious and Iggy wouldn't make sense to me if indeed Monte turned down packages like the Celtics were rumored to be offering.

I'm on the opposite side of the fence. I disagree with a lot of what he says:

1. I hate the idea of extending Bagley for 4yr/$60M. I'd rather lose him for nothing than overpay him. Maybe if he wasn't a walking injury waiting to happen or showed consistent improvement last year, but at this point I don't know why they extend him.

2. I think he's underrating how much Holmes might get offered on the open market and misjudging that Holmes wants to stay in order to get paid. I think keeping in Sacramento will require him to accept less than he's being offered elsewhere.

3. I think he's highly overvaluing our tradeable players. Would the Pacers give Warren and Lamb for Buddy? I don't think so. Brooks, who was the second best player on the Grizzlies during the play-in and playoffs, for Bagley? Why would Memphis do that? The trade scenarios seem very unlikely to me. And losing Barnes for Precious and Iggy wouldn't make sense to me if indeed Monte turned down packages like the Celtics were rumored to be offering.
The only thing that could be worse than drafting Bagley is extending him on multi year deal. Even at full health he will not help win games. He’s a black hole on offense and a minus on defense. The max Id do on him is one year for less than $10M and I’m not exaggerating.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
The only thing that could be worse than drafting Bagley is extending him on multi year deal. Even at full health he will not help win games. He’s a black hole on offense and a minus on defense. The max Id do on him is one year for less than $10M and I’m not exaggerating.
I have a hard time seeing Bagley accepting any reasonable extension offer from the Kings, let alone a one year deal. His comments seem to indicate that with a change of scenery/coaching he's going to become an all-star and max-level player.

I have a hard time seeing Bagley accepting any reasonable extension offer from the Kings, let alone a one year deal. His comments seem to indicate that with a change of scenery/coaching he's going to become an all-star and max-level player.
I mean if he says so than I guess it will be true...

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I mean if he says so than I guess it will be true...
I think Bagley is the kind of guy who will have a long NBA career but will bounce around from team to team and only figure out after a few more seasons that he's not a star player but can be an effective role player if does the small things that he currently doesn't do well.

I think Bagley is the kind of guy who will have a long NBA career but will bounce around from team to team and only figure out after a few more seasons that he's not a star player but can be an effective role player if does the small things that he currently doesn't do well.
Yes, I absolutely agree with you and have the same feeling.

his qualifying offer is 1 year $14M

I saw this video a couple weeks ago. I didn’t love it. I’d rather trade for picks and youth instead of role players. Bagley pisses me off but i want to see him for one more year on this team. The only problem is I also think he will go somewhere else after this year. If we could trade him and buddy for one of golden states picks or another lottery pick I’d be on board with that.