In a do over, would you have picked Bell or Semi over Mason?

Would you have drafted Semi or Jordan over Frank Mason?

• Total voters
I agree on both of the bolded statements, though I'd leave Mason out of the equation entirely because 2nd round picks are typically worthless. But Fox, Jackson and Giles are going to be critical next year. Vlade was lucky with Beli and Yogi, but his luck was caused in part by keeping his powder dry. That said, to my mind the most important factor next year is going to be Joerger. It's make or break for Joerger, imo. He's got to devise an offense that best incorporates the athleticism and talent of this young team. In particular, he's got to go from zero to a hundred in terms of pace. If this team is stuck in the mud next year, it's not going to be good for Joerger, nor for Vlade, as he is the one who hired Joerger.
The only point I will make on Mason is players like Semi Ojele and Jordan Bell were both on the board when we drafted Mason.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
The only point I will make on Mason is players like Semi Ojele and Jordan Bell were both on the board when we drafted Mason.
they were also drafted by winning teams with a winning pedigree and put them in situations they would thrive in, I'd imagine if the Kings drafted one of those two, we would be talking about other second round picks the Kings could of had in place of them.

they were also drafted by winning teams with a winning pedigree and put them in situations they would thrive in, I'd imagine if the Kings drafted one of those two, we would be talking about other second round picks the Kings could of had in place of them.
they were not the right positions. i think Vlade would have been criticized if he gambled on another center at 34th pick when we already had Willie, Giles, Skal, Pappa etc.. and we needed a backup pointguard.

I don't think so in Jordan Bell's case. This kid can play. Ojeleye would have many of us worried but it's kind of silly to get worried over a 2nd round pick anyway since most of them never pan out.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I don't think so in Jordan Bell's case. This kid can play. Ojeleye would have many of us worried but it's kind of silly to get worried over a 2nd round pick anyway since most of them never pan out.
meh, I'm not that high on Jordan Bell, he doesn't really do anything special that stands out. That's not to say Mason does either but with second rounders, you swing for the fences and take BPA most of the time and hope he sticks in the league.

meh, I'm not that high on Jordan Bell, he doesn't really do anything special that stands out. That's not to say Mason does either but with second rounders, you swing for the fences and take BPA most of the time and hope he sticks in the league.
Really? He's like Draymond lite. Passes, rebounds, steals, defends and plays within himself on offense. He filled up the box score when we played him in summer league. Bell might never be a high scoring guy but he will be a very high level role player for years to come.

I wouldn't have picked Frank based on height alone. The list of successful basketball players at his height is pretty small so the odds were stacked against the pick from the get go.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Really? He's like Draymond lite. Passes, rebounds, steals, defends and plays within himself on offense. He filled up the box score when we played him in summer league. Bell might never be a high scoring guy but he will be a very high level role player for years to come.

I wouldn't have picked Frank based on height alone. The list of successful basketball players at his height is pretty small so the odds were stacked against the pick from the get go.
Sure, he is a capable defender but that's all he's asked to do on the Warriors. He only plays a limited amount of minutes anyway, if he were drafted here, a lot of people would roast him for not being able to contribute offensively and let's be honest, defensive only players don't have much value anymore as they used to unless they are on a winning team and they can afford to throw them out there because the rest of the line up compliments what they do.

Sure, he is a capable defender but that's all he's asked to do on the Warriors. He only plays a limited amount of minutes anyway, if he were drafted here, a lot of people would roast him for not being able to contribute offensively and let's be honest, defensive only players don't have much value anymore as they used to unless they are on a winning team and they can afford to throw them out there because the rest of the line up compliments what they do.
He basically does everything WCS does including some things at a higher level and he was plucked out of the 2nd round while we spent the 6th pick on the exact same production. I think too many people are devaluing him based on him being on the Warriors. The guy is going to be good for a lot of years and will probably wind up being a top 8 player from last years draft.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
He basically does everything WCS does including some things at a higher level and he was plucked out of the 2nd round while we spent the 6th pick on the exact same production. I think too many people are devaluing him based on him being on the Warriors. The guy is going to be good for a lot of years and will probably wind up being a top 8 player from last years draft.
a top 8 player? That's silly talk. I'd love to revisit this conversation in a few seasons and see if you still feel this way. Difference between he and Willie is mindset, Bell knows what he can do and sticks to his strengths, we know the story and issues that lie with Willie so we don't want to start beating on that horse again.

this is just confirmation bias. even if he turns out to be the best player in that draft, the warriors would have not selected him at lets say 6. i mean how high was he on their board? there is a reason he was picked 30 something, and its not just that the kings could not see how good he was going to be. warriors hit on their second round pick, but that does not automatically mean all the teams picking before and ending up with worse players somehow mismanaged their picks.

Hello?????

Jordan Bell was insanely impactful as a rookie on the defensive end which is next to impossible to do as a rookie. I saw it in college too: the guy was just made to be a big man in the new NBA.

Bell was just another big miss from Vlade. Anyone with half a scouting brain could see Jordan Bell was at least a rotational defensive big at the NBA level. Now it's looking like the Warriors got a quality starter.

Bell does some good things but geez, he’s surrounded by slightly different personnel in a slightly different environment.
More excuses. Bell made the Warriors better when he was on the floor last season. Think of hard that is to do, much less as a 2nd round rookie.

Bell showed an awesome motor in college, excellent rebounding, quality rim protection, the ability to defend out on the perimeter and take on guys much bigger than him. He also knew from an early age who he was offensively and takes high % looks. Pretty much all of which translated last season

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Hello?????

Jordan Bell was insanely impactful as a rookie on the defensive end which is next to impossible to do as a rookie. I saw it in college too: the guy was just made to be a big man in the new NBA.

Bell was just another big miss from Vlade. Anyone with half a scouting brain could see Jordan Bell was at least a rotational defensive big at the NBA level. Now it's looking like the Warriors got a quality starter.
Bell is not a starter on any team in the league, let's get real here.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Neither is Frank. The question is right now would you trade Frank for either Bell or Semi?
Why even ask that when that ship has sailed? The answer is a yes for me because I don't like undersized PGs and the Kings need a SF and both of them have a better chance of staying in the league than Mason, imo.

Why even ask that when that ship has sailed? The answer is a yes for me because I don't like undersized PGs and the Kings need a SF and both of them have a better chance of staying in the league than Mason, imo.
The point it was a deep good draft. When you evaluate it in 4 years even second round picks matter.

a top 8 player? That's silly talk. I'd love to revisit this conversation in a few seasons and see if you still feel this way. Difference between he and Willie is mindset, Bell knows what he can do and sticks to his strengths, we know the story and issues that lie with Willie so we don't want to start beating on that horse again.
We will just have to agree to disagree but I think you are severely underrating Bell. If the kid just played defense and did nothing else, I could see where you are coming from but this kid can pass the ball at a very high level already. He doesn't get a ton of opportunities to pass the ball during the regular season because the Warriors have a handful of guys who are better at it but look at his summer league assist numbers. This guy is just waiting to break out.

I liked both guys over Mason before the draft ever started so I voted either. I would have voted the same a year ago though so that probably doesn't mean much. I don't think the Mason pick lacked reason though.

I will say this for Mason though, he has a much more difficult job than either of those other 2 guys for what it's worth. It's not looking good for him right now though especially with the Yogi signing.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
We will just have to agree to disagree but I think you are severely underrating Bell. If the kid just played defense and did nothing else, I could see where you are coming from but this kid can pass the ball at a very high level already. He doesn't get a ton of opportunities to pass the ball during the regular season because the Warriors have a handful of guys who are better at it but look at his summer league assist numbers. This guy is just waiting to break out.
I won't talk Bell down because you like him, maybe you see something different than I do when watching him. Using Summer League as a barometer of talking him up as a set up man really doesn't hold much value to me based on the setting. The Warriors system is set up for lots of movement and players will get their assists because they are a unselfish team from the jump.

we should also have a poll as to which players picked in this year’s draft after the King’s second round pick that was traded away will make the Kings regret that decision.
well, maybe not regret since the decisions at draft time are a result of many factors and considerations, but which player will end up “good”.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
we should also have a poll as to which players picked in this year’s draft after the King’s second round pick that was traded away will make the Kings regret that decision.
well, maybe not regret since the decisions at draft time are a result of many factors and considerations, but which player will end up “good”.
The ONLY reason this poll exists is because I split a bunch of posts out of the Future of Vlade thread.

I won't talk Bell down because you like him, maybe you see something different than I do when watching him. Using Summer League as a barometer of talking him up as a set up man really doesn't hold much value to me based on the setting. The Warriors system is set up for lots of movement and players will get their assists because they are a unselfish team from the jump.
That's the problem here. People say that Giles didn't get very many assists in SL because there wasn't a full system in place and he was playing with G Leaguers that couldn't finish or handle his passes. I try bringing up Bell who played in the same type of environment, yet was very successful with his passing and that doesn't seem to count either because of other reasons. To me it's pretty impressive for a big man to get a bunch of assists in SL, especially when it's a guard driven league and the players have only had a few practices to get a feel for the system.

For the record I wanted the Bonga.