If Porter drops to 7

I was very surprised when Jackson declared and then hired an agent. He only played in 11 games this past season before his injury, and to be honest, he wasn't blowing my socks off in those 11 games. I think he made a big mistake declaring. That said, I think Hueter is a better prospect. He's a better athlete, and a far better shooter. The first time I saw Hueter play I thought that he had star material in him. What I like is that he improved in every statistical category in his sophmore year including his handles.
It's pretty obvious you see a lot more of these college players than I do. Do you think Hueter could still be available with our 2nd round pick?

add on: just now read that Hueter has not signed with an agent. He might just be testing the draft waters, so recon if he does not get 1st round feedback he will most likely return to Maryland.

Last edited:
Yeah, were in agreement. What I can't figure out is how some people on this forum know things about Porter that I don't seem to know, and I've certainly done my due diligence. First, some have said that Tatum is a better athlete than Porter. Really? One of the things that scouts touted about Porter was his athleticism, and when I saw him play in those highschool all star games, the Jordan Classic and the Nike game, I saw nothing to make me believe he wasn't a good athlete.

What I saw was a player that could hit the 3 pt shot, put the ball on the floor and pull up for a mid-range, or continue and attack the basket. As I said, he out played Bagley in one of those games. Beyond that, and a couple of highschool games that I was able to find, I have no other info on him. When Cole Zwicker was asked about Porter prior to the season, he said that in his opinion Porter was the best SF prospect to come out of highschool since Kevin Durant. That he would put him on that level at the same point in time. That's pretty high praise from someone whose opinion I respect.

If people are basing their opinion on the two games he played in after returning from his injury, then I have nothing to say to them. That would be just plain ridiculous.
Porter has a better vertical. Tatum has much better flexibility, dexterity, and balance—basically the kind of athleticism one needs to be a “playmaker”. Which Porter has average levels of same. I like Zwicker’s takes, but saying the best SF since Durant is a guy who will actually be a stretch 4 is not great for Zwicker. Bit of a miss there—no problem. It does contribute to the unfair hype around MPJ.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Trust me, Young will be the first PG taken in this draft and I wouldn't be surprised to see Alexander taken before Sexton. I have Sexton going at 21 on my board, and I have Alexander going at 14. I think Young goes in the top 8 somewhere. Hard to predict right now without the lottery being settled.
I've seen enough differing publications that have Sexton ahead of Young to think that there is at least a chance of Sexton going before Young. Also wouldn't surprise me if Young goes to Orlando as I've been saying that for awhile.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, were in agreement. What I can't figure out is how some people on this forum know things about Porter that I don't seem to know, and I've certainly done my due diligence. First, some have said that Tatum is a better athlete than Porter. Really? One of the things that scouts touted about Porter was his athleticism, and when I saw him play in those highschool all star games, the Jordan Classic and the Nike game, I saw nothing to make me believe he wasn't a good athlete.
There's a lot of revisionist history about Tatum now that he's had a very good rookie year. I watched him at Duke and I wondered about (a) his athleticism as he was a decent but not great athlete and (b) his fit in the modern NBA given his tendency to play a very midrange focused game. He definitely was able to adapt to the NBA in terms of being perimeter oriented and working from the outside in and obviously he's athletic enough.

Tatum does not look like a better athlete than Porter to me. What he definitely looks like is both a better ballhandler and a better post up player. Before this season I would have said Porter was the superior shooter but Tatum started his rookie absolutely on fire from outside. Really, if I were to look at the most surprising thing about Tatum's (and Kuzma's for that matter) rookie year was him looking like a much better outside shooter at the NBA level vs college.

I'm also at a loss in terms of the Rudy Gay comparisons for either Tatum or Porter. At UConn Rudy Gay was an elite athlete with a 7'3" wingspan at 6'8" and a 40"+ vertical. Porter and Tatum look to be more skilled at the same age but they didn't have Rudy's physical gifts.

I don't love Porter. He worries me as a one dimensional scorer but I can understand gambling on him at 7 if his medicals check out. Honestly, there's really nobody that I love in this draft. There are some really interesting kids but none that I would rate as deserving #1 picks in a good draft. Ayton is closest but I'm really bothered by his ineffectiveness on defense. Right now he looks like a poor man's KAT. Not a bad thing, but not a definite all-star either.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
There's a lot of revisionist history about Tatum now that he's had a very good rookie year. I watched him at Duke and I wondered about (a) his athleticism as he was a decent but not great athlete and (b) his fit in the modern NBA given his tendency to play a very midrange focused game. He definitely was able to adapt to the NBA in terms of being perimeter oriented and working from the outside in and obviously he's athletic enough.

Tatum does not look like a better athlete than Porter to me. What he definitely looks like is both a better ballhandler and a better post up player. Before this season I would have said Porter was the superior shooter but Tatum started his rookie absolutely on fire from outside. Really, if I were to look at the most surprising thing about Tatum's (and Kuzma's for that matter) rookie year was him looking like a much better outside shooter at the NBA level vs college.

I'm also at a loss in terms of the Rudy Gay comparisons for either Tatum or Porter. At UConn Rudy Gay was an elite athlete with a 7'3" wingspan at 6'8" and a 40"+ vertical. Porter and Tatum look to be more skilled at the same age but they didn't have Rudy's physical gifts.

I don't love Porter. He worries me as a one dimensional scorer but I can understand gambling on him at 7 if his medicals check out. Honestly, there's really nobody that I love in this draft. There are some really interesting kids but none that I would rate as deserving #1 picks in a good draft. Ayton is closest but I'm really bothered by his ineffectiveness on defense. Right now he looks like a poor man's KAT. Not a bad thing, but not a definite all-star either.
Well I disagree on the strength of the draft. I think it's a good and deep draft. This draft, like almost any draft, reaches the point where all anyone can talk about are the flaws, and every player has flaws. And when you get to the players like Bridges, who are consistent and look ready to play right now, well, then they're too old. I like to keep reminding myself of why I liked a particular player in the first place. At the end of the day, you weigh the good against the bad, along with the fit, and make your decision. I happen to think that fit is just as important as everything else.

Like you, I've never understood the Gay comp. I think your right. Most people have forgotten how great an athlete Gay was coming out of college. He was just a little more raw. I never doubted Tatum's outside shot, but I was surprised how good a start he got off to. Most players struggle with thier 3 pt shot their first year, even the supposed good shooters. Just takes them a while to adapt to the physicality and speed of the NBA. I agree on Tatum being a better ball handler. I'm sticking with Bridges unless Porter blows everyone away in the workouts. That's assuming that we stay at seven.

I sure enjoyed watching game 6 against Boston. The Bucks are a nice young team, Porter looked good so off that game I would not be upset if we pursued him.