I love Grant Napear! I hate Grant Napear! (split from the KHTK thread)

Nice. You'll love that show lol. Yes, they talk quite a bit of Kings. It's like a breath of fresh air.

You remember the Rise Guys when they were on 1140 back in the day? Same show now basically.

Wow! Thanks for the tip! You are right, I am loving this! Of course I remember the Rise Guys, I'm old, lol. I won a trip from that show way back when to see the Kings/Lakers pre-game in Vegas. A breath of fresh air indeed!

I have a 30 minute commute to work everyday so I tune in almost daily to both the morning and afternoon shows. Honestly, they are all becoming difficult to listen to, each for their own reasons. Grant is and has always been very superficial in terms of analysis to me. For a guy who has been around basketball for as long as he has you would think he could provide some insight or depth to his commentary, but he never does. I don't know if he doesn't have it in him or he just keeps it to himself but after a few minutes I usually get bored and try something else. Unfortunately the rise guys aren't all that different, they just have a slightly bigger vocabulary and are a little more sarcastic and condescending (Kreidler is worth listening to on baseball if that's your thing). Whitey is simply Grant Napear who replaces the yelling with biting sarcasm. Most days now my radio gets turned off after 10-15 minutes and I just enjoy my nice drive through the hills.

In the end, I don't trust Grant. After the team sold he went on air and said that he had defended the Maloofs out of loyalty to his employer. He said that loyalty to his employer is an important value to him that he was raised with. So out of principle he was standing up for the Maloofs, who looked pretty dishonest at that point. It showed me that Grant doesn't really value the trust of the the simple fan like me.

I have a 30 minute commute to work everyday so I tune in almost daily to both the morning and afternoon shows. Honestly, they are all becoming difficult to listen to, each for their own reasons. Grant is and has always been very superficial in terms of analysis to me. For a guy who has been around basketball for as long as he has you would think he could provide some insight or depth to his commentary, but he never does. I don't know if he doesn't have it in him or he just keeps it to himself but after a few minutes I usually get bored and try something else. Unfortunately the rise guys aren't all that different, they just have a slightly bigger vocabulary and are a little more sarcastic and condescending (Kreidler is worth listening to on baseball if that's your thing). Whitey is simply Grant Napear who replaces the yelling with biting sarcasm. Most days now my radio gets turned off after 10-15 minutes and I just enjoy my nice drive through the hills.

In the end, I don't trust Grant. After the team sold he went on air and said that he had defended the Maloofs out of loyalty to his employer. He said that loyalty to his employer is an important value to him that he was raised with. So out of principle he was standing up for the Maloofs, who looked pretty dishonest at that point. It showed me that Grant doesn't really value the trust of the the simple fan like me.
You hit on probably my biggest gripe with Grant and the reason I don't listen to his show unless there's major Kings news - he just doesn't have any insight. Doesn't really know the game, can't really talk about things on a substantial level, can't give any real input on guys in the draft or analysis of trades beyond very rudimentary points Etc.

I'd much rather hear Kayte & Doug talk hoops.

And now I'm looking forward to hearing our coach's post game comments again.

You hit on probably my biggest gripe with Grant and the reason I don't listen to his show unless there's major Kings news - he just doesn't have any insight. Doesn't really know the game, can't really talk about things on a substantial level, can't give any real input on guys in the draft or analysis of trades beyond very rudimentary points Etc.

I'd much rather hear Kayte & Doug talk hoops.

And now I'm looking forward to hearing our coach's post game comments again.
After Joerger was hired he refused to offer any opinion on the coach. Way to do your homework when it was pretty apparent the Kings were looking at signing Joergs...

I had the same impression. I tuned in the other day to hear some feedback on Joerger - One fan called in asking something about the Memphis roster and what kind of character/discipline those players had, and how that experience will help Joerger here in Sac.

Long story short, Grant cut the caller off, said he has not spent any time with the Memphis team and doesn't know their personnel. He refused to say anything more than that. You're telling me, that as a full time radio host and the official play-by-play guy for an NBA team, you can't provide SOME opinion on players like.. i don't know... Marc Gasol, Zach Randolph, Matt Barnes, Mike Conley, Lance Stephenson, etc.? I try really hard to give Grant the benefit of the doubt, but its been getting quite difficult lately.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Napear has to rely on his schtick which is inflaming any situation, belittling an occasional caller and then of course beating a dead horse such as the agenda against Cousins. Napear is about the last person to get any in depth insight into games, roster, personnel, or any X's and O's type Info.

I haven't listened to him for awhile. So he had no opinion on the hiring of Joerger? I wonder if he was crushed because his boy VDN wasn't hired.

This was an entertaining read.

I like Napear the PBP. I hate Napear the Radio Host. I listen to him as a PBP guy. I have not listened to his radio show in many years for good reason. If people did the same, he probably would not have a radio show anymore. Obviously, there are people out there who enjoy his style.

His words paraphrased: "I refuse to offer an opinion as I dont know anything about him"
it's not necessarily paramount for grant-as-hacky-radio-host to know much about the other teams and head coaches around the nba, but it's certainly mind-boggling that grant-as-play-by-play-man wasn't able to glean anything from watching the kings match up against the grizzlies in the twelve meetings between the two teams while dave joerger was memphis' head coach. most casual nba fans can recognize that the grizz play hard, they compete on the defensive end, and they like to grind their opponents down. it's been the culture of grizzlies basketball for the last half-decade, so it's not as if it would have stretched grant's intellect or his credibility to say, "dave joerger is going to get this kings team to play hard and compete on the defensive end." but his refusal to offer an opinion at all betrays a startling lack of basketball acumen, on his part. i mean, it's obvious enough that he rarely has any real insight to offer in either his capacity as a play-by-play man or in his capacity as a radio host, but it hardly takes a studied nba mind to say that the kings did well in hiring dave joerger...

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I heard a couple minutes of Grant's show yesterday (?) - someone asked about his opinion on Joerger's hiring. To paraphrase, he was all in on it. Good defensive coach, got a team with a rash of injuries into the PO in the west, players like him, good off-the-court guy with the city/fans, etc., etc. Seems like he changed his tune, perhaps?

I heard a couple minutes of Grant's show yesterday (?) - someone asked about his opinion on Joerger's hiring. To paraphrase, he was all in on it. Good defensive coach, got a team with a rash of injuries into the PO in the west, players like him, good off-the-court guy with the city/fans, etc., etc. Seems like he changed his tune, perhaps?
Wow sounds like it! Glad to hear he had some input.

Change of tune or got the message from upstairs either your "in" or your "out." Family, top to bottom and EVERYONE in between.

After Joerger was hired he refused to offer any opinion on the coach. Way to do your homework when it was pretty apparent the Kings were looking at signing Joergs...
This is one of my main issues with him. He pulls this crap all the time. refuses to engage in conversation on subjects. That's his job, yet he rarely offers any sort of constructive feedback to a debate. But to be fair, a lot of the people that call in are complete half wits. Not a winning combination for a show and why I choose Rise Guys instead for my drive home