I cant wait for the season

That depends, Brad Miller trade is something maybe LB is happy about and GP is not happy about. We have seen so many people here ripping Brad here for being unable to jump above 3 inches and letting opposing guards snatch rebounds from him.

Artest is a trade that LB was very happy about and GP took a chance with him when no other GM would touch him and when Artest was on the block for a real long time before Sacto took him.

I dont know if you are talking about any other trades, but these are the ones that come to mind. There are a few times when people get lucky and they look like a genius and other times they look like idiots when things dont go well.

Jerry West was supposed to be a genius and everyone was saying that he is the best ever for assembling that last dynasty, I say that he was knowledgeble and that is all. I am sure he knew that Shaq was coming to town and he did the leg work for that, or maybe I am wrong and west took a chance and got lucky. Dont tell me that he had this psycho skill to know where Shaq would go after he had just been to the finals with that orlando team. Even after assembling that team they won nothing untill PJ showed up. Does it mean that West means nothing to that dynasty or does it mean that PJ happened to be at the right place to collect three more rings.

I see GP as a person who rolled the dice a lot earlier on with many of the trades that he did earlier on, and he got lucky with many of them during that 2002 run. I am not sure if he knew webber would turn his career around , maybe he did and if he did I dont think it was a skill it was knowledge. Maybe talking to Webber and understanding him or maybe talking to others and understanding the situation he was in, I am not sure if he had any special skill to know that webber would be a success.

I am not sure if he knew that Peja would be that good, maybe he did and if he did then it would mean that he had a good core of european scouts that gave him that information.

I am not sure if he knew that Vlade will become that center piece for the franchise, I am not even sure if Vlade knew that this would happen. As I understand Vlade wanted to be in Cali and since Lakers had shaq, Sacto was his other choice.

Well the pacers basically got nothing for Brad since Pollard never played for them. GP is definitely happy about that trade, Pollard was on a huge decline and Miller played a very big role in the 03-04 team. He was really good until he broke his leg and even though he hasn't played D well since he broke his leg, he still was a very important part of the Kings last year.

Artest for Peja means Bird got ripped off. He could've had Maggette who would actually play for them next year instead of Peja who ended up leaving and not doing too much for them while he was there. Yeah Maggette had his injury problems but Peja had a back problem at the time.

The kings got significantly better with each trade and the pacers didn't. That's what I call a ripoff.

Well the pacers basically got nothing for Brad since Pollard never played for them. GP is definitely happy about that trade, Pollard was on a huge decline and Miller played a very big role in the 03-04 team. He was really good until he broke his leg and even though he hasn't played D well since he broke his leg, he still was a very important part of the Kings last year.

Artest for Peja means Bird got ripped off. He could've had Maggette who would actually play for them next year instead of Peja who ended up leaving and not doing too much for them while he was there. Yeah Maggette had his injury problems but Peja had a back problem at the time.

The kings got significantly better with each trade and the pacers didn't. That's what I call a ripoff.
Scott Pollard was making roughly 4.5 mil per year when he was traded and he has come off the books for the pacers now, the other pieces in the trade which was Danny ferry and Ron mercer have come off the books for the pacers and the spurs.

Brad miller on the other hand will make 9.6 mil this year and will make 12.2 in 2010, if he can jump 2 inches now I wonder how much he can jump in 2010.

Lets see in a few months who got ripped off in the Artest trade, anyways why do u think he was ripped off, Artest for Peja is a good deal even if we assume that Artest is problem free. Artest had had a history of on court and off court problems and petrie gambled on him, Peja had had a history of injuries and bird gambled on him.

Only time will tell who was better gambler and who can claim that they knew what the river cards would be, but in this trade definitely they did not go all in.

Last edited:
I contend that Petrie, while perhaps extremely knowledgeable, does not possess any special skills that make him uniquely qualified to do the job.
perhaps what might set him apart from other GMs is not any particular skill, but the relationships he has cultivated through the years (which i guess could be considered a skill by some). each GM has a different set of relationships, maybe GP's is 1) fortunately better or 2) he is better at managing them.

Lets see in a few months who got ripped off in the Artest trade, anyways why do u think he was ripped off, Artest for Peja is a good deal even if we assume that Artest is problem free. Artest had had a history of on court and off court problems and petrie gambled on him, Peja had had a history of injuries and bird gambled on him.
i disagree, i think it's pretty clear that the kings came out ahead, because 1) artest basically willed us into the playoffs and 2) is still here (whether it be for leadership and energy, or as a trading chip).

so while both GMs gambled, petrie won; peja did not do anything of significance during his time in indiana, and they were fortunate to salvage a trade exception for him (i don't think the pacers could've predicted that they were going to get a trade exception).

I'm with those that feel strongly that Petrie shouldn't be getting any free passes. Heck, some might argue that Adelman got eight passes, but never made it to the Big Dance. Why should Petrie?

This team, as assembled TODAY, does not put a scare in most other WC teams. And although I believe the Maloofs handcuff Petrie on player decisions in many different ways, I hold Petrie accountable for this team's lack of competitiveness over the years...

Last edited:
I don't think it's legit to say that because we haven't even seen them play yet. I also don't think losing Bonzi Wells means the team will be mediocre or a bottom-pack team.

I still think some are underrating this team to a degree, and predict they will be a middle seed at least.

Last edited:
i disagree, i think it's pretty clear that the kings came out ahead, because 1) artest basically willed us into the playoffs and 2) is still here (whether it be for leadership and energy, or as a trading chip).

so while both GMs gambled, petrie won; peja did not do anything of significance during his time in indiana, and they were fortunate to salvage a trade exception for him (i don't think the pacers could've predicted that they were going to get a trade exception).
1. I agree, he took an underachieving team to the playoffs. But his talent was never a question, it was his conduct on and off the court over a period of time that was a question. So while you can be happy about what he done so far, I will wait and see before passing a judgement on that.

2. I am not sure if all the gms called GP once the trading floor opened to ask about artest, he was on the trade block with the pacers for a long time and they traded him for Peja, who they dint even bother much to hold on to.

On one hand all of you argue that GP is specially skilled and knowledgeable to trade for Artest and all the moves that he has made so far. If he is able to consistently pull off those great trades then

1. He is so talented that in so many chances he should have won a few rings assembling a great team with his special skills

2. He did not have any restrictions that the other gms had in terms of financial flexibility and all he can show for is one WCF trip

3. If it is a great job that only a few can do then I would expect that atleast half of the other teams would also have some good gms running the team and why would they trade with gp all the time to get the short end of the bargain

It is all a matter of what you think is right for the team, other fans feel that they have made a difference with a few trades that they have done as well. I can even see a 20 page thread on a backup center who was signed. I am sure that happens with every team, but doesnt mean other gms are idiots and GP is the smartest one around. Its just that you dont get to see the other side or you dont want to.

^ don't get me wrong, i wasn't making a case for or against GP with that one. i was only remarking on your comment in isolation from the rest of this thread.

i think the artest trade was already successful, because like i said, we've already benefitted from it. ceterus parabus, we've already come out ahead. if he self-destructs, then we start the rebuilding that much faster. we weren't going anywhere with peja; with ron we've at least a shot.

and if things look bleak, we could probably swing a ron-for-magette type of trade, i'd think.

Last edited:
1. He is so talented that in so many chances he should have won a few rings assembling a great team with his special skills

3. If it is a great job that only a few can do then I would expect that at least half of the other teams would also have some good gms running the team and why would they trade with gp all the time to get the short end of the bargain
1. - It is not his job to get the ring, just to assemble a team worthy of getting one. And it is clear that he did that which IMO is why we now have a new coach.

3. - I think that the real art of trades is to make them work (at least potentially) for all involved. I think most GM's are competent enough that they would not make a trade in which they thought they were getting a bad deal. To make it (seem to) work for all teams involved is the true art.