[HOU/ORL] Silent game?

Entity

Hall of Famer
The point is to give you a courtside advantage of how it feels to be at the game and listen to the sounds of the game without interuption from play by play. its just a test NBA tv is trying. they have enhanced microphones. I think its cool i mean do you really need PBP you see whats going on.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
If I wanted to experience what it's like to be at a live basketball game, I'd go to one. When I lived in Illinois, I went to all the Bulls, Bucks and Pacers games that I could afford to; I'd rather watch on TV.

my dog ate this part of the original post_

Of course whatever I wrote earlier was a joke and you know it. Never mind.

Last edited:

Entity

Hall of Famer
Mr. S£im Citrus said:
If I wanted to experience what it's like to be at a live basketball game, I'd go to one. When I lived in Illinois, I went to all the Bulls, Bucks and Pacers games that I could afford to; I'd rather watch on TV.
well we know what you want maybe NBA tv is not doing this for ppl like youself that can go to games. maybe just maybe there is a large amount of ppl that can't afford or doesn't live remotly close to an NBA arena and they wanted to see how ppl liked the experience. The feedback from this game will probably bring about more games like it or none at all.

leader said:
I will make a million-dollar guarantee that Houston will make the playoff (and possibly finish ahead of Sacramento, too). Simply because the league got over a billion reasons wanting to see Yao come to the rescue while TMac finally riding in the back seat as a sidekick.

The time has come.
Just because the league wants and hopes, doesn't mean it will happen. Houston has a tough schedule coming up, a not-fully-focused-McGrady, and play the Suns next game. Yao seems to be back playing well after the surgery, though. They have been and are an improved team than in the first half, obviously.

Mr. S£im Citrus said:
Going to the game is not always practical, especially if it is 1,000 miles away.

loopymitch said:
I missed it, how was it? I usually mute the commentators anyway. Does anyone know if they plan on doing anymore?
I enjoyed it quite a lot. I got to watch it on a 52" HDTV (not mine, unfortunately), and at times, it felt very much like I was at the game. You could here shots swishing, basketballs dribbling, sneakers squeaking and players talking.

In my opinion, announcers don't usually add that much to the game, and in some cases (not naming names), detract from it. It was a pleasant change.

As for if they are doing this again, I'm not sure. The pregame analysts said that fans can express their feelings about the "silent" game (perhaps at NBA.com) by voting on a poll. If people like it, the analysts said they would have more games like this.

I go to Kings games but I could give a crap about listenening to announcers on TV during the game. I LOVED this game today. Right after commercials, before play started, they would talk for a minute and recap real quick then back to the sounds of the game. I'd love to see more like this.

If anything, if possible, for people like Slim, when they do these games they could make it on two channels. One with announcers telling me what I already knew and one where I hear the players and coaches calling out plays.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Hmmmm. That sounds interesting...

Nothing frustrates me more than to see someone fouled, going to the line, and hearing Jerry or Grant blathering on about something totally unrelated...

This might be a pleasant change, although I doubt if Maloof Sports is going to get rid of Yogi and Howdy...

;)

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
captain bill said:
Suprisingly, the United States is a large country. And some locations are up to 3000 miles away from other ones within it.
I was referring to Vlad's hyperbole; if he is, in fact, in Cambridge, then there's no way that he's "1000 miles" from an NBA city.

I fact, with the Hornets currently in Okalhoma City, I would venture to guess that there's less than ten percent of the continental US that's not within 1000 miles of an NBA city.

Was the silent game only on league pass??

I was listening to the game, commmentators and all yesterday on the Sun Sports here in Florida. That's what got me so confused.

JonBoy418 said:
Was the silent game only on league pass??

I was listening to the game, commmentators and all yesterday on the Sun Sports here in Florida. That's what got me so confused.
This was on the NBATV channel.

D

DeAtHrOw

I actually watched that game and it wasn't bad. It's cool if you are watching the game with someone else. Watching it alone and no commentators can get pretty boring.

Darko really impressed me, especially that 3rd block on Howard and touch pass to Dwight inside.

Yeah, it was pretty nice to hear only the game for once and not some commentators blabbering about hte teams. It would be ok if they talked every 1 minute or 2, but when they go on and on, it just distracts the game.

Couldn't they just run two audio versions (one with broadcasters and the other with enhanced game sound) on the same channel using run-of-the-mill SAP? I would sure love to have such an option while watching games.

They showed the polls on NBAtv and this is what they had, approximately 30% liked it, 30% wanted announcers back, 30% wanted more of these types of games and like 5% didnt care

As for me I would love to have a silent game with the Kings but only if they put a microphone on the guy that Ron Artest is guarding, would love to see what he has to say :D