Here We Build

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Glenn this is just a bunch of loyal kings fans getting together to give money for a new arena. Why would it have to be an investment for you to give? If you want to kings here in sacramento than it shouldn't have to be something where you eventually get money back. There taking any and all donations from thousands of dollars all the way down to I saw people give 5 bucks. Every penny counts. Carmiachael Dave who started this movement on twitter said he has been in contact with some "heavyweights" here in town. This is a legit movement. Here we Build!
It's really none of your business, without trying to be too rude. Did you donate for the ad?

It would have to be an investment for what I would give. So your idea in this area that a bunch of people are going to donate $10, $100 and come up with $400 mil? That's crazy and I am the king of the wild ideas. I gave my ideas, I gave the circumstances under which I would add money, and if it is as you say, I will not add to this. That's quite simple.

I actually created a Twitter account for the first time for this. I really have little clue how the whole Twitter thing works and it seems like when I post a Tweet nobody will see it but my 2 followers. :)

But my first tweet was this:

DaveLack Dave Lack (Fireplug)
1st Tweet. Joined Twitter for this. Hey @CarmichaelDave this is Fireplug. I pledge $200 to start. #HereWeBuild

Can anyone tell me if Carmichael Dave or the Here We Build guys will even see this? Or is there another way we are supposed to pledge?

It looks like you sent it fine Plug, he will see it. That's all we can do for now until they can set this up. It literally grew from nothing only about 13 hours ago.

I sent an email to Howard Beck of the New York Times. He was at the game last night to write a story on the move. I told him this grassroots effort would be a nice addition!

This is a great idea, glad it's picking up movement so quickly. All of these 11.99999th hour moves by fans/local politians shows how serious a lot of people here are about keeping the kings, as opposed to the previously vocal naysayes.

I would to donate $100 for here we build movement and $100 for a sacbee ad or billboard to advertise this movement. Is there any verifiable payment donation or anything? I don't have twitter. And is someone doing any kind of real accounting of donations?

Glenn

Hall of Famer
It looks like you sent it fine Plug, he will see it. That's all we can do for now until they can set this up. It literally grew from nothing only about 13 hours ago.

I sent an email to Howard Beck of the New York Times. He was at the game last night to write a story on the move. I told him this grassroots effort would be a nice addition!
There will be a dueling writer thing in New York because I got a note today from the guy who wrote the article with R.E.'s famous "Good riddance" note. He seems curious about this idea but fans raising $100,000 won't result in a New York Times article about us. I told him when it hits a million I'll write back. And these are promises and not real money at this point. Very, very complicated if it is serious and not just a publicity statement.

Being totally serious... I would invest $2,000 towards a new arena if the Kings were going to stay. As long as I knew it was going to go towards the arena and not in some politicians pocket. I don't have a ton of cash, but the Kings have been my life since I was a kid, and to keep them here I would pledge as much as I could.

Now if we could get another 150,000 people to donate 2,000 then we would have 300,000,000 :)

Last edited:
I hope that this gains critical mass; it would be a huge thumb in the eye to every city council person who twiddled their thumbs...

Being totally serious... I would invest $2,000 towards a new arena if the Kings were going to stay. As long as I knew it was going to go towards the arena and not in some politicians pocket. I don't have a ton of cash, but the Kings have been my life since I was a kid, and to keep them here I would pledge as much as I could.

Now if we could get another 150,000 people to donate 2,000 then we would have 300,000,000 :)
Sad part is we could probably get all we needed from just the local developers if the county/city just agreed to open up land for development.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
There are now 192,000 people who have pledged. As I understand it, the ask for pledges is to test the waters before anything more serious is down. A terrific shout out to Jiffy Lube comes from me.

I can donate but the amount depends on the seriousness of the effort. If this ends up well and "Here We Build" gives donors/investors a minority piece of a minority ownership of an arena and if the Kings stay even a year, I can pledge a lot more.

If it gets real serious, the ex-NBA players who have passed through need to be approached. CWebb, anybody. Vlade? The NBA certainly would encourage minority (read "African American") ownership. MJ is the only.

I personally think Kenny Smith, ex-King should be approached as well as his on the air buddy, Chucky.

Anyway it's progressing. If Bob Cook is right, there is a 20% chance the Kings will stay. The City of Sacramento has shown to be unable to be helpful.

Friggin dave you are awesome. Already put in my pledge.. If it turns out to be the real thing then we will see my checkbook make an appearance.

Someone called into Grants radio show today when CarmichaelDave was on promoting the movement with an absolutely inspiring call, and anyone who listened will knows what I am talking about.

The guy told them about a homeless man who he sees everyday on the street corner with a sign asking people , but today his sign read something different, something to the effect of "If the Kings leave, it will affect me too." The caller said it had to pull over and ask him about it. The man said that his benefits and the tax dollars that run the shelter he stays at will be affected if the Kings leave, and that even in the homeless shelters people are talking about the Kings leaving. The caller said that he usually gives the man money, but when he went to give him a dollar, the man said "its ok, I've had a good day, but if can take, that $1, multiply it but 100 and give it to Dave."

Now, this guy could have been lying and completely fabricated the story, but there some sincerity in his voice and I believe its true,

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Someone called into Grants radio show today when CarmichaelDave was on promoting the movement with an absolutely inspiring call, and anyone who listened will knows what I am talking about.

The guy told them about a homeless man who he sees everyday on the street corner with a sign asking people , but today his sign read something different, something to the effect of "If the Kings leave, it will affect me too." The caller said it had to pull over and ask him about it. The man said that his benefits and the tax dollars that run the shelter he stays at will be affected if the Kings leave, and that even in the homeless shelters people are talking about the Kings leaving. The caller said that he usually gives the man money, but when he went to give him a dollar, the man said "its ok, I've had a good day, but if can take, that $1, multiply it but 100 and give it to Dave."

Now, this guy could have been lying and completely fabricated the story, but there some sincerity in his voice and I believe its true,
Yep, I heard it too. He wasn't lying. He was almost breaking down just telling the story.

My wife and I are in the final negotiations of what our pledge will be - but there will definitely be a pledge. We both have strongly supported the belief that this city really needs a new arena and here is a great opportunity to make a direct contribution. A big thanks to Dave and Jiffy Lube.

In addition to making a "money up front" pledge I am wondering if there will be an opportunity to make an annual pledge. We are settled here with our children and would be very interested in making an annual donation to the arena effort if it means we can help make an improvement to the city we love and we do not have to drive to Oakland to see games/concerts.

Are there 1 million other people in the area that think we like we do? It would not surprise me. This thing could grow into something beautiful.

http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines...KTXL+-+FOX40+News+at+Ten)&utm_content=Twitter

SACRAMENTO—
In the next few days, organizers of the “Here We Build” campaign hope to have a clear direction on how to actually collect the money pledged by thousands of people, and what to do with it all.

In just two days the campaign, which started as an innocent tweet by radio personality “Carmichael Dave”, has an unofficial total of $250,000 pledged. So, how do they turn pledges into real cash?

"Once one penny gets collected, all of a sudden a lot of eyebrows get raised and the tenor of this campaign changes from a group of people reaching out to legal talk, real money, real frustration," warned Carmichael Dave.

The group plans on taking the weekend to discuss all the options and challenges that come with a task so big. "We've done the most important thing, the hardest thing. We've galvanized a community and united a lot of people, everything else is just X's and O's."

Whether you donate to buy a brick, put money toward the hard cost of a new arena or help fund a season ticket plan for next year, the “Here We Build” campaign is in no rush to work out the details.

"We're not going to take a penny of anything until there is a firm plan of what we're going to do with that money."

CD just said something on air about Comcast now wanting help out with the campaign and possibly do something to sweeten the tv deal here. I guess some other interesting things/ideas were brought up as well. Sorry, my buddy was listening and just told me so I don't have a ton of specifics since I didn't hear it myself.