Get Used to Mo of Maurice Evans

http://www.nba.com/kings/news/A_Closer_Look_Get_Used_to_Mo_-128173-58.html

A Closer Look: Get Used to Mo of Maurice Evans
by Chris Navalta

While ARCO Arena continues to be the place where fan favorites are born, this year’s addition comes as no surprise.

After being away from NBA action over the past two years, Kings swingman Maurice Evans may have found a home here in Sacramento.

Evans, who entered the league in 2001, has spent most of his professional career in Europe. He became a two-time All-Star during his tenure and was even Player of the Year in the Italian League last season.

Now with a chance to shine in the NBA, Evans is making the most of his minutes this season. And while fans have been given a breath of fresh air from this first-year King, Evans says basketball comes as second nature to him.

“I was always one of the top players in the country,” said Evans, referring to his high school years. “For me, it just felt like a natural profession playing basketball.”

Evans graduated from Wichita Collegiate in 1997, where he was given Kansas State High School Player of the Year. He chose to stay close to home, picking Wichita State as his college home. He was named second team All-Missouri Valley Conference after averaging a league-leading 22.6 points per game as a sophomore. He was also among the nation’s top scorers.

The following season, he transferred to Texas, where he made an immediate impact. In the summer of 2000, he was one of just 10 players to play for the One World Select collegiate all-star team that toured Greece.

He was an early entry in the 2001 draft but wound up signing with Minnesota as an undrafted free agent. He signed a two-year deal with the Timberwolves but played just 10 games with the team.

When another team didn’t pick him up, Evans chose to continue his game in Europe. Now that he’s back in the states, Evans knows he has to make the most of whatever amount of minutes he gets on the floor. And the fans appreciate that about him.

“Now that I’m here, I’m just fighting for a position in the rotation,” Evans said. “I’m doing a lot of the dirty work, anything from diving for the ball or playing tough defense. Right now, everyone just has to play their role. And with the right timing and situation, you’ll get to show what you can do.”

Evans graduated in the same high school class as Tracy McGrady, Jumaine Jones and Dion Glover. The only thing different from Evans and the other three is that Evans wasn’t drafted in the NBA. And unless you are a household name, it can be just as hard to stay in the league as it is to break into it. Evans is well-aware of his situation but is confident that a long, solid career in the NBA is ahead of him.

“This is one of the most difficult sports, as far as trying to stay onto a team,” Evans said. “There are only 12 players on a team’s roster. About eight of those guys on the roster will have those spots until they choose to retire. Chris Webber will be in the NBA until he relinquishes his job, along with the Brad Millers, Mike Bibbys, Bobby Jacksons, etc. The other three or four spots are for guys who were given the right opportunity and did what they’re supposed to do with it.”

Evans was invited to training camp but was considered a long shot to make the team. His profile isn’t even featured on this year’s media guide. Still, Evans knew what he had to do if he wanted to establish himself as an NBA player.

“If you’re not a confident player, you don’t belong here,” Evans said. “Everyone here has had individual honors. I’ve accomplished more than some. And other people have accomplished more than me. It’s just great to be able to pull from those experiences and gain confidence. Once you get here, it’s a whole different story."

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
“Now that I’m here, I’m just fighting for a position in the rotation,” Evans said. “I’m doing a lot of the dirty work, anything from diving for the ball or playing tough defense. Right now, everyone just has to play their role. And with the right timing and situation, you’ll get to show what you can do.”
And now, Mo... we need you more than ever.

VF21 said:
And now, Mo... we need you more than ever.
he's the new face of the franchise. or, at least players like him. we all remember the fast breakin kings of the late 90's and new millenium. i think the front office is pullin strings to get back to that style of play. i mean, if trading doug christie away to get cuttino mobley is any indication of the direction this franchise is going, then i think we will be seeing a lot more of guys who play like mo evans in the next coupla years. especially when ya gotta compete with run n gun teams like phoenix and seattle.

A

AriesMar27

Stojakovic said:
That's...frickin sad.

When you have Mo Evans as the X-Factor, you know the future isn't looking too bright.
its sad and comforting in the same way..... its sad because its evans, but comforting because he knows his role and wont over step his boundaries... he'll go out and just do the dirty work.... he wont try to score 30 points or shoot the ball every time he touches it. its nice to know that we have a couple of guys like that on our team....

SacTownKid said:
I couldn't disagree more.
word. why should it be sad? because we discovered a potential talent and are seeking to mold it?

geeeeez.....the wave of pessimism tonight is sickening me beyond belief.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Well Mo is no Doug Christie defensively. Certainly no Doug Christie from his prime. The "sad" would be depending on a training camp invite to be our defensive stalwart. But the thing is that Doug wasn't really Doug Christie on defense anymore either. We aren't taking as big a step back here as has been made out simply because Doug has really already started to take that step back himself.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Someone said it in another thread, when discussing the waive of Vlade and now trading of Doug:

Perhaps Petrie's nose is a little more sensitive than the rest of ours and he's actually able to smell the milk the day BEFORE everyone else realizes it's started to turn.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Well Doug and Vlade were old -- not that hard to see on the court or just logically. 34/35 yr old players are about at the end. The cold hard truth is its always just a question of the right moment to cash them in for younger chips.

Bricklayer said:
Well Mo is no Doug Christie defensively. Certainly no Doug Christie from his prime. The "sad" would be depending on a training camp invite to be our defensive stalwart. But the thing is that Doug wasn't really Doug Christie on defense anymore either. We aren't taking as big a step back here as has been made out simply because Doug has really already started to take that step back himself.
i dont think anybody's asking mo evans to be our "defensive stalwart," as you aptly put it. i always considered an "x-factor" to be the kinda guy who comes out, plays with energy, and plays within himself. an x-factor is that little extra something thats lacking on the floor on any given night. an x-factor, quite simply, is a manu ginobili, or a bobby jackson, or a maurice evans. evans is a fair defender. he'll learn the ins and outs as he goes, but as long as he's playing with energy, within himself, and with heart, then he's exactly what the kings need off the bench. we have enough scoring options, especially with this new acqusition, that we dont need him to score 15 a game like b-jax. but if he plays fair defense, and gives us a spark when we need it, then i say put him on the court. nothin sad about it.