George Karl suspended, Nuggets fined for violating draft rules

George Karl suspended, Nuggets fined for violating draft rulesJune 3, 2005

AP - Jun 3, 4:40 pm EDT
More PhotosNEW YORK (AP) -- Denver Nuggets coach George Karl was suspended for the first three regular-season games of the 2005-2006 season and the team was fined $200,000 by the NBA on Friday for violating rules prohibiting contact with players not yet eligible for the draft.

The league said the violation occurred from May 16-18, when Karl attended workouts at Marquette University involving a player who is not eligible for this year's draft, which will take place on June 28. The NBA did not identify the player. ``George made an innocent mistake but we take full responsibility for these actions,'' Nuggets general manager Kiki Vandeweghe said. ``The Denver Nuggets fully respect league rules and regulations and we regret any inadvertent violation that occurred.''

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-nuggets-karlfined&prov=ap&type=lgns

Bibby_Is_Clutch said:
I wonder who this player was and is it that big of a deal? Why cant he talk to someone who isnt in the draft?
i want to know what marquette university there talking about. i think there talking the one in Wisconsin, cause he was the old coach of the Bucks, which means i might have a good idea of what player he was talking too....

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Every team has to follow the rules. They include not talking to or having contact with players who aren't yet eligible for the draft because you're not supposed to even give the appearance of making promises ahead of time, etc. It's totally shocking to me that someone like George Karl would do something like that. He's been around a long time; he knows the rules.

I thought I read somewhere else that Karl was watching his son play, and a player who wasn't expected to be there showed up, at which point Karl should have left, but he didn't. I'll see if I can find that info again...at least that would make Karl look a little better in some people's eyes.

Edit: apparently there is no published link to the above info., but someone said they heard it on ESPN, so take the above with a grain (or pound) of salt.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
4cwebb - That makes sense, considering the article says "inadvertent violation." Thanks for the info.

It might be dumb but its the rules. I don't think that this rule is that dumb though. Even if it was inadvertant, the league has to fine him for breaking the rules.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
loopymitch said:
They can't even watch their kids play? Thats' just wrong. It's not their fault if someone shows up.
After re-reading the article, I realized it wasn't a game situation. It was workouts at Marquette.

The NBA has to avoid any appearance of impropriety. For example, if Karl talked to a player who then became eligible next year for the draft and the Nuggets ended up drafting him, and someone remembered seeing him talk to him THIS year, there could have been ugly allegations that might do the Nuggets and/or the player a lot more harm.

Recruitment rules are there for a number of reasons. Everyone involved needs to make sure they're followed.

loopymitch said:
Since when have players and coaches followed the rules? They just hope they don't get caught. That's for most sports not just bball
I agree with you but I dont think its usually the head coach that goes and visits players. Many people dont know what assistants or whoever look like.