Geoff Petrie on the trade

http://www.nba.com/kings/news/Geoff_Petrie_Radio_Interview-128191-58.html

January 10, 2005
Geoff Petrie Radio Interview

Geoff Petrie spoke with Grant Napear and Mike Lamb of KHTK Sports 1140, the flagship station of the Kings, regarding Monday's trade in which Doug Christie was traded to Orlando for Cuttino Mobley and Michael Bradley. Here's the transcript:

Geoff: “First of all, both Doug and Cuttino are proven NBA players. I think Cuttino is a terrific offensive player that can score the ball exceptionally well and is a terrific long-range shooter who can get to the basket and finish. He has been a starter almost his entire career—not quite as big as Doug but very athletic. In Doug were giving up a proven performer who we’ve all had a great relationship with here and he’s been part of some of the most exciting times the franchise has had. Going forward, for our team a chance to get a player like Cuttino who can really score the ball and break people down offensively, it’s something we decided to do. It’s not a knock on Doug, we all love the guy around here for what he’s done. It was just a chance to get better.”

“Doug is still very athletic and is still one of the most versatile players in the league in terms of all the things he does. What it boils down to is that they are two different players and hopefully Cuttino will come in and give us an injection of something different.”

<li>Grant and Mike: Did the recent good play of Maurice Evans play a factor in the trade?

Geoff: “I can’t say that it was a huge factor, and Maurice has played exceptionally well since he’s been getting regular minutes, but it’s still a short-term performance on his part. He also gives every indication that there’s no reason why that should change going forward. Really the major part of the decision was that were swapping starting two guards, not so much that someone else on our team started to play well in the short term. We lose some size, but we don’t lose a lot of athleticism. With Grant Hill and Hedo (Turkoglu), I think Doug will go down and fit in just fine, and I think it will be the same with Mobley here.”

Grant and Mike: Why make a change to improve offensively when the improvement seems to be needed defensively? Did Doug’s age play a factor?

Geoff: “I don’t think one wing player is going to change our defense too much one way or the other. Mobley is a more than adequate defender and he gives us some other facets offensively with his range, his ability to break people down, finish at the basket, get to the basket, he’s a great free throw shooter in an area that I’ll agree we’re already pretty good at. There isn’t one single thing that you could do to our team that’s going to turn it into a major defensive fortress. We’re looking at another exciting player and I think people will enjoy watching him play.”

Grant and Mike: Why make a change to improve offensively when the improvement seems to be needed defensively? Did Doug’s age play a factor?

Geoff: “I don’t think one wing player is going to change our defense too much one way or the other. Mobley is a more than adequate defender and he gives us some other facets offensively with his range, his ability to break people down, finish at the basket, get to the basket, he’s a great free throw shooter in an area that I’ll agree we’re already pretty good at. There isn’t one single thing that you could do to our team that’s going to turn it into a major defensive fortress. We’re looking at another exciting player and I think people will enjoy watching him play.”

“Doug has a lot of basketball left. He takes great care of himself, you have no off the court worries with Doug, and he’s still a very athletic player overall.”

Grant and Mike: Does the success of other Western teams such as Phoenix play a deciding role in the trade?

Geoff: “ “You’re always looking at the teams you are competing against. One of the things I’ve said for the last four or five years that nobody paid much attention to when everyone was focused on the Lakers was that you’ve got to worry about other teams getting better too. What you’ve seen now through accommodation of good draft picks and a decent trade or two along the way, other teams have gotten better. Right now you have Seattle and Phoenix basically playing without a real center, playing a very open style of game and having a lot of success with it, much like we have had for the last four or five years.”

“I know this, that one thing that doesn’t change too much is a team’s ability to make shots. If you have good shooters, they always have to be guarded. I think you’re seeing in the NBA more and more is the importance of shooting and three-point shooting in particular and how many games turn on three-point shooting.”

I find it strange to see him say no player is going to change our defense when the acquisition of just two players one off-season(christie and jackson) drastically improved our defense in one year.

if you look at the defense weakness on this team, its preventing easy baskets & points in the paint, 2nd chance points, etc. a wing/SG player isn't going to help in those areas, so i can understand petrie's view on this. i agree DC brought the defense mentality that didn't exist prior to him being here (along w/BJax). 2 or 3 steals a game is nice, but preventing offensive rebounds, easy layups, etc is much more important. of course this trade didn't do anything to help in those areas!

swisshh said:
I find it strange to see him say no player is going to change our defense when the acquisition of just two players one off-season(christie and jackson) drastically improved our defense in one year.
I may not be as steeped in the Kings lore as you are, but defense has always been an issue with the Kings since I started following them in 2002. Maybe it improved, maybe it didn't; but what difference has it made so far? Christie was getting old, Bobby is hurt again, where's the defense in that?

Maybe it improved, maybe it didn't; but what difference has it made so far?
Uhm, that improvement in defense got them farther in the playoffs than they had gotten before.

But you're getting away from the point, a player or two can change the defense of the team unlike what Petrie stated. My point is Geoff knows better than what he said. I agree with jeffjcalweb that it's interior defensive players the Kings need, but weakening the wing defense doesn't help.

They left out:

Mike: I read a comment from Pop...he was talking about how PHX scares him to death...there might be something to what you said.

GP: Well I know this, one thing that doesn't change too much is a teams ability to make shots. If you've got good shooters they generally make shots. The fact that both SEA and PHX are both doing that right now in the process of running up and down the court, you may be able to slow them down in the PO. The scouting will get better and the preparation will be better and the players will be more rested....but, if you have good shooters, they still have to be guarded. I think you are seeing in the NBA more and more...the importance of shooting and 3pt shooting in particular and how many games turn on 3pt shooting...Even the N.O. game as hard as it was to watch for us, they made 8 3's in the last 3-4 min of regulation and OT. Those were the shots that turned the game around.

Grant: The one thing that no one can ague with this is you are getting a lot younger with this ... and I don't want to say Doug Christie is breaking down....but he is starting to get those injuries because of attrition...

GP: You are just looking at two different king of players. I think Doug has a lot of basketball left in him, as you say he takes great care of himself. You've got no off the court worries with Doug...he's just a different type of player.

Grant: While we have you here, can you talk about the signing of Eddie House....

GP: Well, we put a claim in on waivers when Milwaukee let him go...and after looking at the players in the CBA and NBDL and maybe older players that aren't playing at all right now, we just felt that Eddie was probably the best player...that was out there...He had been off to a terrific start of the year in CHA....he's another energy type player who can come off your bench and score 10 pts in 8 min type of thing, we just felt if we could get him there was some potential there for him to give our bench some additional strength as a back up PG.

Grant: What about now with Cuttino Mobely...when Mike's not in the game now how does that change things in terms of ball handling?

GP: Well, I think that's something we're are going to have to look at. You are certainly going to see Eddie play going forward here...Mike is going to play his 36-38 min every night....You are looking at 8-10-12 min you are going to have to play without him, in the short term we are going to see how that goes with Eddie and the other combination of people we have. If we need to do something else there we will.

Mike: Geoff, I am going to ask you a personal question, if you don't want to answer it, don't answer it....I was told that you got pretty emotional at the thing saying good-bye to Vlade...from a personal standpoint does it get any easier doing these things or it is still tough?

GP: No, its not easy. I hope that people have some sense how the personal side of this business can be with players you've had such a great experience with and have been such a part of some terrific overall success with and you've been through so many things with...to have to call them up and tell them they are going some where else, its...its very personal moment. You try to do it as professionally as you can, but sometimes the other part of it sneaks in there. It is much more you can say...Doug will always be well thought of here, his contribution will always be remembered as part of a group of guys who had a lot of fun. I think that's a good thing, I know that's how I'll always think of him.

GP: With guys like Doug and Vlade they were real Pros....it it part of the business that keeps you going because you get have those type of guys around.

Grant: Finally, do you think Cuttino to be here in time to be in uniform tomorrow?

GP: No I don't. The players have to submit and take physicals by 10 Eastern time Thursday morning...